Cold Comfort in Operation Anchorage

Adam LaMosca

Aug 7, 2006
Cold Comfort in Operation Anchorage

Is Operation Anchorage worth the frostbite? Well, kind of.

Apr 28, 2008
Operation Anchorage was good, but it didn't feel like it was worth $10.

plus, the 1 armor other than the chinese stealth suit that I wanted, the Winerized Combat Armor, I couldn't even get. That is what dissapointed me the most other than the suspiciously high price for esentially a quest and some new armor.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Irridium said:

plus, the 1 armor other than the chinese stealth suit that I wanted, the Winerized Combat Armor, I couldn't even get. That is what dissapointed me the most other than the suspiciously high price for esentially a quest and some new armor.
I thought they covered the armour schemes rather well, giving sneaky players the captured Chinese stealth armour and the shooty players a pristine suit of powered armour. Admittedly, I'm in the latter camp so the Gauss Rifle (so useful when popping guys in power suits) and winterised T-51b suit seemed worthwhile loot to me.

It was different from the main campaign... but so was the other VR sequence (unnamed to spoil no spoilers) available in the game too. I rather enjoyed it.

-- Steve

Apr 28, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
Irridium said:

I thought they covered the armour schemes rather well, giving sneaky players the captured Chinese stealth armour and the shooty players a pristine suit of powered armour. Admittedly, I'm in the latter camp so the Gauss Rifle (so useful when popping guys in power suits) and winterised T-51b suit seemed worthwhile loot to me.

It was different from the main campaign... but so was the other VR sequence (unnamed to spoil no spoilers) available in the game too. I rather enjoyed it.

-- Steve
true, but I'm more of an "in the middle" type of person. Plus I don't usually carry power armor because I use most of my inventory for weapons and items for my rock-it launcher. I just really wanted the winterized combat armor. Ah well, I have the PC version so I'll just search around for the item code and use the console command to give it to me. But still, it should have been rewarded with the rest of the stuff...

Bofus Teefus

Jan 29, 2009
Worth the ten or so dollars for me, but I'm not sure how much I recommend it for others. I think you gave a fairly accurate assessment.

JamminOz07

Nov 19, 2008
Ok, so I've downloaded this, but haven't played it yet.

Do I play using my current save game, which I've been playing for many, many hours, found about 125 locations, only missing 2 bobble heads, or should I start a new game for the purpose of this expansion pack?

If I do start a new game, how long will I have to play until I can start the Operation Anchorage?

moromete

Aug 16, 2007
Well, the simulation works a bit better if you've not yet level capped at 20, but you can get into the VR at any point in the game. Just follow the radiol signal which pops up somewhere near the factory (Red Racer?) near the Nuka Cola plant. I plan to wait for all the DLC to come out and only begin a new game after that in order to enjoy it all in a new play through. In my first and second I think I've seen most of what the game has to offer and I clearly need some time to forget some of the details...

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
Irridium said:

I pretty much agree with you on this.

I loved the Winterized Combat Armor, so I decided to pay fallout3nexus a visit, and I found a mod giving you all the possible gear you might've encountered in the simulation, such as General Chase's Longcoat and indeed the Combat Armor with the Helm aswell.

Of course, this is only a solution for PC version, I guess. Don't know much about the 360 so I'll probably be corrected soon enough if you indeed can mod the 360 version.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
JamminOz07 said:
Do I play using my current save game, which I've been playing for many, many hours, found about 125 locations, only missing 2 bobble heads, or should I start a new game for the purpose of this expansion pack?

If I do start a new game, how long will I have to play until I can start the Operation Anchorage?
I played it with my level 20 character... it was a touch on the easy side, and in retrospect I should've dialled the difficulty up a notch, but it was quite playable.

And I was playing the new level minutes after downloading it, as I'd already found a location near the new quest.

-- Steve

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
Operation: Anchorage is to Fallout 3 what holodeck episodes are to Star Trek. There might be intrinsically enjoyable bits to them, but at the end of the day you're watching Star Trek, not Doctor Janeway, Medicine Woman or Leonardo DaVinci vs. the Moon Men of Melchior VII. It's a nice distraction, but it doesn't feel like part of the game. I just hope future DLC avoids the simulation bit like the plague.

Apr 28, 2008
Rhayn said:
Irridium said:

I pretty much agree with you on this.

I loved the Winterized Combat Armor, so I decided to pay fallout3nexus a visit, and I found a mod giving you all the possible gear you might've encountered in the simulation, such as General Chase's Longcoat and indeed the Combat Armor with the Helm aswell.

Of course, this is only a solution for PC version, I guess. Don't know much about the 360 so I'll probably be corrected soon enough if you indeed can mod the 360 version.
Thats actually why I got Fallout 3 on the PC. For mods that fix most problems that are in the game that the developers miss.

Viva mods!

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
I agree with the OP that Operation: Anchorage feels more like a FPS than the rest of the game, but that was a good thing, in my opinion, as I was getting pretty bored of the usual mindless wandering.

To tell the truth, taking a break from the usual open-world wasteland and visiting linear Alaska for some constant gunfighting and action was pretty relaxing, in my opinion, and possibly saved the game for me, just wish it was a little longer. Oh well it was fun while it lasted, now let's hope the Pitt is just as good...

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
I really only liked getting everything in that armory, the dlc wasn't great but an entertaining quest and kick ass new gear, it just seemed like it was worth mabey 600 microsoftpoints instead of 800...