College Student Kills Intruder With a Sword

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
College Student Kills Intruder With a Sword

A student at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland armed with a samurai katana killed an intruder in his home earlier today, according to Baltimore police.

Despite what video games and anime might teach impressionable young nerds, swords - albeit cool - aren't the most practical weapons in the world of guns. The phrase "don't bring a knife to a gunfight" exists for a reason, you know. A homeowner looking to make his house into a castle would probably be better off investing in a gun to defend his property and family rather than, say, a claymore.

Yet perhaps swords can be more of a self-defense tool than previously thought - earlier today (Tuesday, September 15th) a student at Johns Hopkins University armed with a sword killed a presumed burglar found in his garage. Two laptops and a PlayStation (I'm assuming it was a PS3, here) had been previously stolen from the house - home to four Johns Hopkins students - the day before, and when the 21-year-old junior chemistry major heard noises and saw the garage door open at approximately 1:20 AM this morning, he went to investigate, bringing with him a katana, reports the Associated Press [http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090915/ap_on_re_us/us_samurai_sword_death].

The student confronted the intruder, asked what he was doing, and threatened to call the police. "When he said that, the suspect lunged at him, kind of forced the kid against the wall, and he struck him with the sword," said Baltimore PD spokesman Anthony Guglielmi. The suspect's hand was nearly severed, left "hanging by a thread," and he received a wound to the chest that would later prove fatal - the 49-year-old intruder died at the scene.

Though the suspect's name has not yet been released, he reportedly had 29 prior arrests "mostly for burglary and breaking and entering," and had in fact just been released from a year-long prison sentence for stealing a car.

Charges have not yet been filed against the student, and in fact may not be. In Maryland - as in most states - "Castle Doctrine" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland_self-defense]: "A man's home is his castle." The burglar may not have been armed, but that's really not something that you can afford to think about if you're being attacked: "Hey, this guy doesn't look like he has a weapon. Maybe I should go easy on him."

[blockquote]"One can genuinely and reasonably be in fear of one's own safety even if the burglar is unarmed," said Andrew D. Levy, a Baltimore defense attorney and an adjunct professor at the University of Maryland School of Law. "But nonetheless, it would be something that a good prosecutor would consider."[/blockquote]

(Thanks [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.143277#3209714], hotacidbath!)

(Image: AP [http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/yard-Johns-Hopkins-University-student-armed-samurai-sword-killed-intruder/photo//090915/480/56a965110b584d09b46e4f07d2d28fc9//s:/ap/20090915/ap_on_re_us/us_samurai_sword_death#photoViewer=/090915/480/56a965110b584d09b46e4f07d2d28fc9])

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Yeah, when I heard about this I was wondering if he would get charged or not, but after more clarification on your part, perhaps he won't be. I also wanted to know about the laws on having a sharpened katana in your house as well.

Now, I've got twenty on 7 pages, what'cha got?

Apr 28, 2008
That is awsome.

The kid shouldn't be charged.
I would have done the same thing. Hell a lot of people would.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
Bravo to the college kid, that scum got what he deserved.
I certainly hope the poor guy isn't charged with anything, it was self defense if the guy lunged at him.

That guy must have been pretty thick if he lunged at a guy that had a very long, sharp, and pointy sword. I think I would be more scared of that than a gun.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
my first thought upon seeing someone armed with a sword would have been "fuck, I picked the wrong place to rob"

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
I remember a cop once explaining that the best weapon to defend yourself with in most homes is a longsword. Handguns over penetrate, and during an adrenaline rush it's very easy to miss with a handgun. Shotguns have the over penetration problem as well, and aren't very effective in closed quarters if you're not very proficient. Knife fighting is a very VERY dangerous thing to do. But a sword gives you plenty of reach, and the risk of the other guy carrying one to pull on you is very slim.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Much respect for the college kid.
I'm always in favour of giving people the right to defend themselves and their homes.
The fact that he used a sword earns more respect as I don't consider guns appropriate for any perpose outside of war.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You gotta ask yourself one question; Do I feel lucky?

Well, do ya? panku

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
annoyinglizardvoice said:
Much respect for the college kid.
I'm always in favour of giving people the right to defend themselves and their homes.
The fact that he used a sword earns more respect as I don't consider guns appropriate for any perpose outside of war.
No place in hunting then? Though, to be fair, venison that doesn't go through hydrostatic shock is much tastier.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Good job, that's really all that can be said. I hope they don't press charges, wouldn't be fair (imo).

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
And they all laughed at me when I sharpened my life size Master Sword HA! this proves its a viable way to protect my home; burglars and miscreants beware, my house has a +12 defense bonus.

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
"He's hackin, wackin, and slashin"

couldnt resist, but yea if he gets charged ill be surprised

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I have only one thing to say.

[img/]http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/miramax_films/pulp_fiction/_group_photos/bruce_willis1.jpg[/img]

Bring out the Gimp!

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Shotguns have the over penetration problem as well, and aren't very effective in closed quarters if you're not very proficient.
Over penetration is a bad thing? I'm not normally all for guns in the home but if I'm pulling a lethal weapon on an intruder I wanna be sure that anyone I'm protecting is going to be safe.

I can always replace the carpet. I can't really replace a family member.

Also, 'not very proficient'? If you're 'not very proficient' with a longsword you're going to end up swinging it like a baseball bat. Slapping someone with the flat edge of the blade isn't nearly as effective as smacking someone with...say, a cricket bat.