College Student Kills Intruder With a Sword

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Maryland has no Castle Doctrine but given the circumstances I highly doubt they'll charge this kid with anything, and if they do it'll lose in appeal. Public Support would be behind him.

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
The_Oracle said:
I only have one question in response to this:

Was it a Hattori Hanzo sword?

Make of that what you will. [sub]I can't believe I'm so geeky that all I thought of was Kill Bill when I first read this. It's [the katana incident] still a pretty badass feat, though.[/sub]
Definitely not a Hattori Hanzo.

Missing pieced of evidence:
50 gallons of blood
50 separate body pieces per suspect
Mass 'self-defense' charges resulting from several dozen deaths

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
KeyMaster45 said:
And they all laughed at me when I sharpened my life size Master Sword HA! this proves its a viable way to protect my home; burglars and miscreants beware, my house has a +12 defense bonus.
On this note, I must add that I rolled a die 20 for our dear college student.

It can simply be said that the robber rolled a 1 and ate the sharp end of a murder stick.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
DeathWyrmNexus said:
Starke said:
I remember a cop once explaining that the best weapon to defend yourself with in most homes is a longsword. Handguns over penetrate, and during an adrenaline rush it's very easy to miss with a handgun. Shotguns have the over penetration problem as well, and aren't very effective in closed quarters if you're not very proficient. Knife fighting is a very VERY dangerous thing to do. But a sword gives you plenty of reach, and the risk of the other guy carrying one to pull on you is very slim.
Good thing I have a scimitar. XD
I've got a bastard sword... :D

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
This is shocking.

I, for one, think we need to begin to look at sword control. If this college student didn't have access to a dangerous bladed weapon, a man would not have died yesterday. And what if the intruder had a sword? Then there conflict would have escalated into a swordfight! Who knows who might have gotten hurt - including innocents.

And let's not the forget the children. Sword violence is a childhood pandemic: Just yesterday I saw two kids in my neighborhood training for the sort of gruesome violence that occurred on this college campus. Entire industries are devoted to creating swords and sword simulators for children. Meanwhile, violent "fighting" games teach our children that these sorts of tools, which were designed for WARRIORS, are for fun.

Meanwhile, in the United Kingdom, street gangs are already using swords to engage in acts of terror, assault, and robbery. We don't want that to happen in America.

It's important that we act now, before another child dies to a sword. That's why I hope you'll support HR-42.666.69, the Sword And Blade Elimination/Reduction (SABER) Act. It begins by comprehensively banning all "assault swords" with blades that are obviously based on military designs, and institutes instant background checks on any citizen who attempts to purchase a sword or blade.

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
Way to guy sword guy. Some guys broke into my apartment about a week and a half ago, beat up the guy I share it with and stole some of his stuff. They later came back with a large man with blood on his hand. Best I could do was chase them a couple hundred meters down the street with a baseball bat before they outran me.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Amnestic said:
Shotguns have the over penetration problem as well, and aren't very effective in closed quarters if you're not very proficient.
Over penetration is a bad thing? I'm not normally all for guns in the home but if I'm pulling a lethal weapon on an intruder I wanna be sure that anyone I'm protecting is going to be safe.

I can always replace the carpet. I can't really replace a family member.

Also, 'not very proficient'? If you're 'not very proficient' with a longsword you're going to end up swinging it like a baseball bat. Slapping someone with the flat edge of the blade isn't nearly as effective as smacking someone with...say, a cricket bat.
Until you discover afterward that the perp was standing in front of your Plasma. Happy as I would be after having defended my home that would still piss me off.
HardRockSamurai said:
Hang on a sec...a CHEMISTRY MAJOR???

KILLING SOMEONE???

By chance, did he look anything like this?

Maybe, but he would more likely be toting a crowbar, as I keep beside my bed. In afterthought, I wasn't even thinking of Half Life when I put it there...

All things being equal, if the authorities even raise a finger in thought of pressing any sort of charges against this guy, I will be sorely vexed.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Chipperz said:
UsefulPlayer 1 said:
Killing him, methinks, was unnecessary, but it's not like it was unprovoked. I just can't see how the confrontation escalate any further after he almost cut the guy's hand off.
I get the impression the confrontation didn't escalate so much as the sword just kept going :)
It did escalate. The problem started at the intruder's collarbone, escalated to his first rib, escalated again to his second rib, and continued to escalate until the issue was resolved at the other side.

Amnestic said:
HardRockSamurai said:
Hang on a sec...a CHEMISTRY MAJOR???

KILLING SOMEONE???

By chance, did he look anything like this?
Isn't Gordon Freeman a theoretical physicist rather than a Chemistry guy?
It doesn't matter, there will soon be a scientist in your neighboorhood kicking everyone's ass.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Archon said:
This is shocking.

I, for one, think we need to begin to look at sword control. If this college student didn't have access to a dangerous bladed weapon, a man would not have died yesterday. And what if the intruder had a sword? Then there conflict would have escalated into a swordfight! Who knows who might have gotten hurt - including innocents.

And let's not the forget the children. Sword violence is a childhood pandemic: Just yesterday I saw two kids in my neighborhood training for the sort of gruesome violence that occurred on this college campus. Entire industries are devoted to creating swords and sword simulators for children. Meanwhile, violent "fighting" games teach our children that these sorts of tools, which were designed for WARRIORS, are for fun.

Meanwhile, in the United Kingdom, street gangs are already using swords to engage in acts of terror, assault, and robbery. We don't want that to happen in America.

It's important that we act now, before another child dies to a sword. That's why I hope you'll support HR-42.666.69, the Sword And Blade Elimination/Reduction (SABER) Act. It begins by comprehensively banning all "assault swords" with blades that are obviously based on military designs, and institutes instant background checks on any citizen who attempts to purchase a sword or blade.
You are so cute, I just want to hug you. :)

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
dude this is to insane for words i first heard this on the news and hit rewind then said wtf looked over at one of my swords and went "and i thought no one would have a modern day use for swords outside of practicing kendo" good job and hope you dont go to jail young samurai.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
This kid deserves a medal, and I need a sword...

Archon said:
This is shocking.

And you, sir, win. As a fellow Alexander, I shall call you "Alexander the Great."

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Archon said:
This is shocking.

I'm not sure if this is serious or not, given the general attitude at the Escapist, It sounds serious, but I'm not quite sure, maybe my sarcasm meter is broken. but if you are serious then you're going to have to put up with everyone acting like an immature dick for a bit.

In other news, can you imagine the Highlander jokes if the intruder was decapitated? You probably could as the could only be one.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
randommaster said:
Archon said:
This is shocking.

I'm not sure if this is serious or not, given the general attitude at the Escapist, but if you are serious then you're going to have to put up with everyone acting like an immature dick for a bit.
I'm 95% certain that was satire. He had me going for the first paragraph but after that...nyeh, can't take it seriously.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I'm actually with the guy here. He was stealing his stuff and then attacked him, there was nothing else to do. If this guy gets put in jail, then there is something wrong with America.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Amnestic said:
randommaster said:
Archon said:
This is shocking.

I'm not sure if this is serious or not, given the general attitude at the Escapist, but if you are serious then you're going to have to put up with everyone acting like an immature dick for a bit.
I'm 95% certain that was satire. He had me going for the first paragraph but after that...nyeh, can't take it seriously.
There's always that one person who has to be a wet blanket, so somethines it's hard to tell. Seems like people generally see this as awesome, though.

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Starke said:
DeathWyrmNexus said:
Starke said:
I remember a cop once explaining that the best weapon to defend yourself with in most homes is a longsword. Handguns over penetrate, and during an adrenaline rush it's very easy to miss with a handgun. Shotguns have the over penetration problem as well, and aren't very effective in closed quarters if you're not very proficient. Knife fighting is a very VERY dangerous thing to do. But a sword gives you plenty of reach, and the risk of the other guy carrying one to pull on you is very slim.
Good thing I have a scimitar. XD
I've got a bastard sword... :D
Swing responsibly, a hand and a half sword might make a wild swing and take out your console. XD