College Student Kills Intruder With a Sword

skeanthu

Nov 16, 2007
29 he got arrested for, no telling how many he got away with, well except for that last one.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Archon said:
This is shocking.

I, for one, think we need to begin to look at sword control. If this college student didn't have access to a dangerous bladed weapon, a man would not have died yesterday. And what if the intruder had a sword? Then there conflict would have escalated into a swordfight! Who knows who might have gotten hurt - including innocents.

And let's not the forget the children. Sword violence is a childhood pandemic: Just yesterday I saw two kids in my neighborhood training for the sort of gruesome violence that occurred on this college campus. Entire industries are devoted to creating swords and sword simulators for children. Meanwhile, violent "fighting" games teach our children that these sorts of tools, which were designed for WARRIORS, are for fun.

Meanwhile, in the United Kingdom, street gangs are already using swords to engage in acts of terror, assault, and robbery. We don't want that to happen in America.

It's important that we act now, before another child dies to a sword. That's why I hope you'll support HR-42.666.69, the Sword And Blade Elimination/Reduction (SABER) Act. It begins by comprehensively banning all "assault swords" with blades that are obviously based on military designs, and institutes instant background checks on any citizen who attempts to purchase a sword or blade.
Hehe. Poe much? :p

I guess the only thing that strikes me reading this, and that happens every time a post like this comes up, is the feeling of 'Awesome that a guy died!' that a lot of people seem to have. It seems to me be be a very callous and almost disturbing reaction.
A guy died. Be he a burglar or not, that is not the optimum outcome of a situation like the one in the OP. A guy died. And people say 'Good!'? And then trot out the constant Ramboesque 'I'll bloody well tear apart any person on my property!'. A guy fucking died. What does it matter if it was with a katana.

oecumenix

Jun 18, 2008
If he'd done this in the UK, he would almost certainly have been charged with, and quite likely convicted, of GBH. Even if the guy did 'lunge' at him, what was the student doing walking around with a fucking samurai sword?

Our laws are much stricter when it comes to self-defence\home-defence, which I think is a shame. I would love to cut some dirty thieving pikeys.

This mixed message brought to you by Oecumenix.

Lucifus

Dec 3, 2008
Booze Zombie said:
There's a thing called appropriate force, here in Britain.
I could use, say, a shovel on someone, but they'd have to be wielding a melee weapon themself or posing a direct threat to my life otherwise it'd be a bit... well, the police would get a bit angry about me using too much force.

On that note, why didn't this kid have a baseball bat, tire iron or taser?
Actually police now say your not allowed to defend yourself at all. Several lawsuits have been filed and won against the person who defended themselves.

People break into the house and your not allowed to lay a finger on them.

Flionk

Nov 5, 2007
This incident is just further justification that laying down a few hundred dollars for a decent katana/wakizashi set was a good idea. Still need to get a good whetstone though...

shial

Jan 5, 2009
Lucifus said:
Booze Zombie said:
I could use, say, a shovel on someone, but they'd have to be wielding a melee weapon themself or posing a direct threat to my life otherwise it'd be a bit... well, the police would get a bit angry about me using too much force.

Actually police now say your not allowed to defend yourself at all. Several lawsuits have been filed and won against the person who defended themselves.

Its actually a lot more complicated than that. Under Common law there are certain conditions that need to be met, one of them is that the mortal strike was made before he was in a position of no danger, the kid wounded the guy during the assault so hes good there. If lets say he broke his knee caps then went to finish him that wouldn't be self defense. The guy initiated the attack, etc... The whole actual definition is fairly complicated and those other cases your talking about probably had other situations that made it fall out of self defense.

I've also heard a police officer say that if something happens its better to kill them. They can't contradict your story then.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
shial said:
Lucifus said:
Booze Zombie said:

Its actually a lot more complicated than that. Under Common law there are certain conditions that need to be met, one of them is that the mortal strike was made before he was in a position of no danger, the kid wounded the guy during the assault so hes good there. If lets say he broke his knee caps then went to finish him that wouldn't be self defense. The guy initiated the attack, etc... The whole actual definition is fairly complicated and those other cases your talking about probably had other situations that made it fall out of self defense.

I've also heard a police officer say that if something happens its better to kill them. They can't contradict your story then.
Wow. I mean damn what is the point of that?

Blanks

Mar 17, 2009
If he did this in canada he'd be charged since 'self defense' isn't something that can be used in court

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Before all sorts of individuals go out and buy the coolest sword they can find for "home defense", be advised that two-handed sword without training = fail. A machete is cheap (tens of bucks at most), effective, and you won't screw up with it as much. Plus it leaves your other hand free to do useful things like operate a flashlight, call the cops, punch, shove or block.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
Sure, he probably didn't have to kill him, but the intruder had 29 previous arrests...
And he used a KATANA.
He needs a high five.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Lucifus said:

Clearly untrue. We've got the media shovelling enough sensationalist stories down our throats already, we don't need anymore.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Sh0ckFyre said:
I myself would rather use a hand gun, or compact SMG. I now feel like a massive pussy.
Why would you feel like a large cat for being rational and efficient?

I bet that student would rather have had a good gun (and training, etc.), but people aren't made of money nor does the law always allow them to defend themselves efficiently.