College Student Kills Intruder With a Sword

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Pendragon9 said:
If the courts do charge him for killing a burden on society, ESPECIALLY WHEN HE WAS BEING ASSAULTED, I will kill them personally with a claymore.
I have to give this a +1. Our system is so fucked up right now that I would not be surprised if it would come to that. If it did, I would also condone the execution of those in power. I'm not saying some one should actually do it, but damn, there's no reason for that kind of injustice, especially when considering the criminal record of the deceased.

Jerich0

Aug 11, 2009
i have a crappy little ten dollar 'ninja sword.'

i got it just in case a middle-aged man tried to rob me ^_^

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
80% of the escapist community saw that headline and screamed out:

"SWORDS KILL PEOPLE, BAN THEM, BAN THEM ALL"

and all rational people facepalmed

as for the killing itself, awesome, that must have felt so damn good for that robber, im sure his last thoughts were "why did it have to be a nerd?" ive noticed that nerds tend to skip the gun and opt for a more elegant defense weapon.

AncientYoungSon

Jun 17, 2009
As a fellow sword owner, I don't blame the kid at all.

If the guy did indeed attack him after being told to leave, then there was no other course of action.

undeadfly

Jun 23, 2009
I applaud the guy. Defended himself within the law and he did it with brutality and style.
Would have only been more awesome if the burglar tried to run away and the guy hit him with ninja stars.

Antzon

Sep 9, 2009
The student was lucky, think of the possibility of him not armed with a sword. But by far the most sensible thing to do is to triple lock your doors/Windows. If the house was burgled before and is broken into again, there is some issues about the security of the dorm/house.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Ridonculous_Ninja said:
Like I said in the non-official thread for this, WHO THE HELL IGNORES AN ORDER FROM SOMEONE WIELDING A KATANA!?!?!

Why would you not listen to a guy holding a lethal weapon while your unarmed?
Well, he had been to prison about 29 other times, and the guy with the sword said he was going to call the police. I suppose he decided to take his chances with the sword, rather than face another second behind bars.

The idiot should never have been let back out in the first place.

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
The guy had 29 prior arrests, mostly for burglary? And he's still allowed outside? Way to go American legal system. Oh well I guess some people never learn until they have their arm severed and get fatally stabbed with a katana. Maybe he never really did learn, but now he's dead so I guess it doesn't matter.

tehbeard

Jul 9, 2008
the Kid should be given a medal. Well done for killing scum!

Personally I would have used the hidden blade from assassins creed.

If he gets charged its another sign of american stupidity.

teknoarcanist

Jun 9, 2008
That guy is going to be a legend with his frat.

"That's T-Dawg, man. He fucking killed a guy. Like with a sword."

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
There's a thing called appropriate force, here in Britain.
I could use, say, a shovel on someone, but they'd have to be wielding a melee weapon themself or posing a direct threat to my life otherwise it'd be a bit... well, the police would get a bit angry about me using too much force.

On that note, why didn't this kid have a baseball bat, tire iron or taser?

PublicNuisance

Sep 4, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
There's a thing called appropriate force, here in Britain.
I could use, say, a shovel on someone, but they'd have to be wielding a melee weapon themself or posing a direct threat to my life otherwise it'd be a bit... well, the police would get a bit angry about me using too much force.

On that note, why didn't this kid have a baseball bat, tire iron or taser?
That's crap. I say if someone breaks into your home they forfeit their life right there. The home owner should be allowed to do whatever they feel is needed to you.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
I have to hand it to America, you know your shit when it comes to self-defence and property laws. If this were the UK the student would probably be going to prison.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
PublicNuisance said:
That's crap. I say if someone breaks into your home they forfeit their life right there. The home owner should be allowed to do whatever they feel is needed to you.
I feel that is too far.
Since when do you give the right to be an executioner to a panic stricken civvy?

It's just not good law.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Archon said:
This is shocking.

I, for one, think we need to begin to look at sword control. If this college student didn't have access to a dangerous bladed weapon, a man would not have died yesterday. And what if the intruder had a sword? Then there conflict would have escalated into a swordfight! Who knows who might have gotten hurt - including innocents.

And let's not the forget the children. Sword violence is a childhood pandemic: Just yesterday I saw two kids in my neighborhood training for the sort of gruesome violence that occurred on this college campus. Entire industries are devoted to creating swords and sword simulators for children. Meanwhile, violent "fighting" games teach our children that these sorts of tools, which were designed for WARRIORS, are for fun.

Meanwhile, in the United Kingdom, street gangs are already using swords to engage in acts of terror, assault, and robbery. We don't want that to happen in America.

It's important that we act now, before another child dies to a sword. That's why I hope you'll support HR-42.666.69, the Sword And Blade Elimination/Reduction (SABER) Act. It begins by comprehensively banning all "assault swords" with blades that are obviously based on military designs, and institutes instant background checks on any citizen who attempts to purchase a sword or blade.
He's gotta a point. swords are dangerous. They'll fucking cut you wide open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_RpbaUU7NI

Also why won't video embed work here?

Axilon

Sep 9, 2009
Wasn't his house also robbed very recently? Personally I'd of spent points in shielding and not melee weapons. Either way, hats off to him.

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
Honestly, this raises the question of why somebody smart enough to go to John Hopkins is dumb to have spent money on a goddamned sword. Have the lowered the standards since they let Jeff Altman in? You'd think they'd have raised them after that.

Amnestic said:
Shotguns have the over penetration problem as well, and aren't very effective in closed quarters if you're not very proficient.
Over penetration is a bad thing? I'm not normally all for guns in the home but if I'm pulling a lethal weapon on an intruder I wanna be sure that anyone I'm protecting is going to be safe.

I can always replace the carpet. I can't really replace a family member.

Also, 'not very proficient'? If you're 'not very proficient' with a longsword you're going to end up swinging it like a baseball bat. Slapping someone with the flat edge of the blade isn't nearly as effective as smacking someone with...say, a cricket bat.
I'm sure this has been answered before but the issue with 'over penetration' isn't that you'll damage the wall it's that you'll hit somebody through the wall, or in the next house, or out on the sidewalk. And all weapons are inneffective if you're not proficient with them, so that statements a bit redundant. A given as it were.