Colleges and Employers Now Requiring Applicants' Facebook Passwords

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
This has been going on for years, why are people only noticing now? Congratulations, you only have the rights that you are willing to fight for.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
I'm hoping that having a facebook account doesn't become a requirement for jobs, I fucking hate facebook and have absolutely no intention on getting one.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
This is absolutely unacceptable. If an employer ever tried to pull this crap on me, you can be sure I'd give him a piece of my mind.

It disgusts me that crap like this is becoming commonplace in our world.

meglathon

Oct 9, 2008
i think i would ask if they woul dlike to have access to all my online accounts. then spens the next 6-7 house with them going over all the sites i have account, and telling them all 20 passwords on rotation which change direction on months with 31 day from those with 30 of less days. :D

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
I definitely stand against this. But this should be a staunch message to facebook users. Stop being stupid on the internet. Learn to filter yourself. Your truly, a proud non-user of facebook.

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
Tharwen said:
Why do they care? That's the part I don't understand.
Well as your parents told you the birds and the bees ill tell you the reason an employer wants to know if there pictures of you doing a keg stand on the internet. Oh wait I just did. People post all sorts of racey crap on the internet whether its their pictures or affiliations and verbal posts. The real world doesn't want to associate with your personal life, and yet people mix the two everyday by posting their personal lives while saying they work for a specific company. Same for schools. It should be a retrospective moment to understand why things have come to this. the younger generations have no filter and "Surprise" its catching up with them.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Ah, further validation for my policy of NEVER sharing my real name on the Internet for any reason. My online persona and my real identity are as isolated from each other as I can manage. This sort of thing is one of the many reasons why.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Um...I'd stand up and go, "Well, I'm done here," and walk out. Even if it was perfect, or they were begging me to stay, saying I didn't need to do it. The thought of working for a company, or going to a school, the demands to know what I'm doing in my free time--when I'm not getting paid--is deeply disturbing. Sure, I could make an alternate account, or just lie, but it's still unsettling.
What next? You want all my text messages? How about all my e-mails? Phone records? My game save data? I do not want people accessing my private stuff. I have conversations on Facebook that are meant to be solely between me and that person. The thought of some stranger being able to jump in and access that conversation is unnerving. And what's to stop them from losing that info? What if someone else gets it and hacks my account? What if another employee hacks my account and starts posting things, making me look bad, because they don't like me? This is just disturbing.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
JoJo said:
Irridium said:
What if I don't have a facebook account?
Then clearly you don't exist and aren't a real person, because everyone has a Facebook account these days.
Then I guess that means that I am not a real person and in turn local laws do not apply to me given that they do not apply to nobody.

Scuse me.

I gonna go break some shit.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
Fr said:
anc[is]Solution: don't use Facebook. Nobody gives a shit about what you just ate or the song lyrics you just posted anyway.
That is one of the most absurd, ignorant comments I've ever read. Some of us use Facebook for communicating, it's far more convenient to send a message to twenty people en-masse instead of trying to call every single one of them individually. Try it sometime before you bash it.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Dense_Electric said:
That is one of the most absurd, ignorant comments I've ever read. Some of us use Facebook for communicating, it's far more convenient to send a message to twenty people en-masse instead of trying to call every single one of them individually. Try it sometime before you bash it.
Exactly. I'm so sick of people hating on Facebook. It definitely has its uses.

Anyway, I think that this is ridiculous; they don't have a right to know people's Facebook passwords.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Well, thank goodness I don't have a Facebook. This is a huge blatant breach of privacy. People out there are getting so paranoid that they're willing to sacrifice privacy just to make them feel more secure. A certain quote by Ben Franklin comes to mind.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:

Dear US of A,

Get this. Soon.

Root.

PS. Otherwise, ditch Bookface or at least get another account.
America doesn't have something at least similar? I is surprised.

Now, although I do use Facebook, it log on maybe twice a week to check my inbox for all of three minutes. Should they want my details, then they'll get truly bored flicking through endless updates from friends offering me Farmville stuff that I ignore.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
If I worked for a police department, I would NOT hire anyone that gave me their username/password or let me invade their privacy during an interview. A person that does that clearly does not have respect for their own privacy, and would likely be just as invasive to another person's.

Cowards.

Also, Facebook easily lets you have privacy settings that would make your coach able to see only what you want him to see, and he'd have no idea that you were hiding anything.

Akimoto

Nov 22, 2011
Fr said:
anc[is]Solution: don't use Facebook. Nobody gives a shit about what you just ate or the song lyrics you just posted anyway.
That was my initial reaction, but I found it harder and harder to keep in touch with my friends and church activities. Like most of the guys here and some smart ones on FB I only gave my name and email. Postings were kept to a minimum as well on FB.

In a way it's social engineering. Make something that people love for little reason, pander to their fantasy that some others out there follow their every move (Twitter), feeds their egos (FB 'Likes') and is easy to use based on tech that is derided as old and out of date (WhatsApp). Even now it is easier to contact people by calling than sms or email. We can't say no, but we can decide what goes out into the Internet.

Very soon I will have to change my 'analog' Sony Ericsson for a '3G' HTC just to know when we are meeting for a group project.

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
I used to work as an supervisor to RA's at a school in Ohio, part of our job requirements were to befriend our RA's on Facebook and follow them on Twitter (if possible, obviously) simply to monitor the things they make public. We never asked for anyone's personal accounts, and we told them up front what we would be looking for when someone check their posts.

At that point, if they're dumb enough to post something that warrants getting them in trouble or even fired then that's their problem. I didn't really have a problem with this because a lot of the time we were dealing with underage drinking and occasional drug use and stuff (imagine that, getting in trouble for posting something illegal online). That's the kind of thing a university wants to keep somewhat under control (I'm not naive, I know people drink all the time, I just asked them not to be stupid enough to put it on the internet)

THIS, however is a different story. Asking for passwords is one of the most shady things ever. I don't even like giving people I know, family included, access to my stuff online. Some people are still uneasy about doing anything online (older generations mostly) so doing something like making the act of requiring someone to give away their password an ok thing to do is beyond retarded. I'm pretty sure EVERY website that has you set up an account with a password will tell you at some point to not give your password out to anyone, ever.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Wow, if an employer or college ever asked for that kind of info or told me I had to friend them on facebook I'd tell them to piss off and that they have no right to spy on my life. Not that I really use facebook at all, (funnily enough I only got it because a sociology class I took a few years back required we at least sign up for both it and twitter) but what few conversations and links I share between friends I sure as hell don't want my school or boss looking at.