Collegiate Quidditch Players Seek NCAA Recognition

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Collegiate Quidditch Players Seek NCAA Recognition

Quidditch players from prestigious universities are asking the National Collegiate Athletic Association to formally recognize their fictitious sport.

The fourth annual Quidditch World Cup is taking place this weekend, hosted by the International Quidditch Association. No, I'm not quoting children's literature here; this is actually going to happen. What's more, universities such as Duke, Harvard, Yale, and M.I.T are sending teams to compete--competition described by NPR [http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=131144212] as "trotting around on brooms while trying to whip a "quaffle" through a hoop." Even more unbelievable than a bunch of geniuses waddling around with cleaning implements clenched in their knees is that the players are looking for the NCAA to legitimize the activity.

Valerie Fischman-- University of Maryland student and co-vice president of its quidditch team-- is spearheading the campaign, arguing that "I think that having NCAA status will give it a little more credibility and help keep it around a little bit longer." NPR notes that there are requirements to achieve this status, and they are by no means lax: "There must be official quidditch clubs at a minimum of 50 colleges across the country. Then, athletic directors from those colleges must individually petition the NCAA." I find it difficult to believe that athletic directors--whose careers are spent handling football, basketball, and baseball-- will take up the cape and broom on quidditch's behalf, but stranger things have happened.

Thankfully, Alex Benepe, one of the founders of the real-life version of quidditch, thinks the NCAA campaign may be a mistake, saying "NCAA sports at colleges are superintense." That they are, my friend. Then again, no current collegiate sport is intense enough to include capes or imagined flight.

Source: NPR [http://www.toplessrobot.com/2010/11/real-life_quiddith_players_are_determined_to_make.php]

Apr 28, 2008
They do realize how ridiculous they look running around with brooms between their legs, right?

Don't get me wrong, more power to them for having fun and all that, but really? Quidditch?

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
Vaccine said:
This sounds like an elaborate troll. >_>
A highly elaborate one. One so well done I'm actually nearly considering it one. Really? People liked the idea of Quidditch that much? Don't they feel silly?

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Wow, I always thought the concept behind the real game was kind of genius, but these guys look like planks.

Can't fly, can't play.

Hey, maybe we should contact the air force and see if they can come up with some way to play it with helicopters or even jets on a REALLY big pitch?

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
I've seen videos of this "sport" being played out. I never felt more sorry for other human beings in my entire life.

lhin

Nov 18, 2009
Iwata said:
I've seen videos of this "sport" being played out. I never felt more sorry for other human beings in my entire life.
I would disagree with you but goddamn.......

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
this is from a University? really?....aren't those people suppose to have at least one brain cell working?

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
lhin said:
Iwata said:
I would disagree with you but goddamn.......
BEHOLD!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQvHlT6PowI

nosafetynets

Sep 27, 2010
I think a lot of people view the whole Harry Potter trend as kind of a vent for all the would-be baby Trekkies in the world. I mean, I enjoyed the books to a certain extent, but it's hardly the end-all-be-all that these people are turning it into. Wow. Seriously? It's pretty hilarious to watch these people make fools of themselves, but aside from that...

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
This is the dumbest, most insane, most asinine thing I've heard of in a long while. It makes me raaaage.

steverivers

Jun 7, 2010
The whole point of quidditch (or however you spell it), i thought, is kinda cruxed on it being -MID-AIR-...

.... it's like playing horse polo without the horses, it's then just croquet.

Or horse racing..... without the horses. Then it's just a bunch of short irish blokes whipping their arses running down a green carpet.

If they want to be taken seriously, then seriously... either become a wizard and learn to fly.... strap a rocket onto the broom... or just realize you're only playing shoot hoops with sticks between your legs.

Calling it quidditch is pretty pointless, (although funny... i mean... that photo! XD)

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
That is very silly.

Wouldn't mind playing a good quidditch console game though, bit like a cross between a flight sim and football/hockey/basketball.

Could just see it being part of the EA Sports catalogue.

/EDIT

Ok EA actually did release a quidditch game years ago:

It looks kind of weak I was hoping for the usual EA Sports full on team/character creation with leagues and all that heh.