Come to Britain, It's Cheaper Here!

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
ah man little big planet was made in the UK... i feel so ashamed.
then again rockstar north (i think its called) is scottish i think so go us

MaraN88

Jan 14, 2008
Eldritch Warlord said:
RAKtheUndead said:
Eldritch Warlord said:
My first thought when I saw the title was:

"Oh really? What again is the average cost in US dollars to buy a gallon of gasoline from a British gas station?"

The next was:

"But they buy gasoline in Liters and for some reason call it petrol."

And finally, when the page had loaded:

"Oh, it's about video games. I should have known."
"Petrol" is actually a more reasonable name for C5-C9 petroleum distillates, because of the term, "petroleum" applying to crude mineral oil. These petroleum distillates are not gases upon refining and only become so after application of a carburettor or fuel injector system, so the terminology, "gasoline" doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
Gasoline is the proper term for the specific petroleum distillate used in internal combustion engine just as asphalt is the proper term for the specific petroleum distillate that is used to pave roads. "Gas"oline because the primary use of that product is to be made gaseous to power internal combustion and the suffix "-line" simply implies a liquid with an unusually high vapor pressure. Although in common language it is normally shortened to gas.
wow.. you two must be a blast at parties..

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Ah, the new recipe for economic success: turn your country into a second-world nation and beg for investment money from places that haven't successfully done this yet. :p

corporate_gamer

Apr 17, 2008
You obviously not purchased a pint anywhere in Surrey recently. 3.30 for London pride? Disgraceful.

But on topic, yes this make sense. The British wages will be comparatively cheaper to foreign company's as their were a few months ago. On the other side, which company in this economic climate is going to be opening new studios?

savandicus

Jun 5, 2008
MaraN88 said:
wow.. you two must be a blast at parties..
That made me laugh :p

On topic - The opener makes a very good point that this could be a very good oppertunity for other countries to invest in british gaming industry which could hopefully mean more diverse games and new game ideas coming around. Hopefully being the word though because we all know that 2009 will be filled with sequels ff13, fable 3, whatever.

Off topic and onto the american speach above - American is basically just a form of british that is either the same, spelt incorrect, just using the wrong word, or using thier own words. The , color (colour is the proper spelling), Pants (trousers in america), and gasoline for petrol. The first and last are due to the fact that american was orignally just english and when petrol came along noone had seen it before so when they named it its going to be called differently in different countrys. Both names make logical sense. As for bad spelling and using the wrong words that can easily be put down to people being lazy and not learning how to spell properly or learning the right name for things. If everyone spells something incorrectly for long enough then it becomes the correct spelling. So by failing so much they actually managed to fail their way into correctness. And thus the American language was born.