Come to Britain, It's Cheaper Here!

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Come to Britain, It's Cheaper Here!

Tiga, a trade association representing game developers in the UK are saying the current recession is a 'golden opportunity' for foreign investors.

Seemingly eager to apply a silver lining to the current economic cloud, Tiga has proposed that the reduced value of the pound means that hiring British talent is a much more viable option for Japanese and American publishers.

Richard Wilson, CEO of Tiga, said: "For the last decade British companies have had to rely on the UK industry's well-deserved reputation for quality. Now we can compete hard on price as well as quality."

Wilson may have a point, as some of the best games of 2008, including Fable 2, Little Big Planet and Grand Theft Auto 4 were developed in the UK, but with the troubles already facing studios like Free Radical and Factor 5, you have to wonder how much of an industry will be left before too long.

Source: Game Daily [http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/tiga-sees-weak-pound-sterling-as-golden-opportunity/?biz=1]

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
I can only hope this gambit pays off. I graduate this year, and intend to work as a programmer for these companies!

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
To be honest I'm pretty sure the Euro is a bit better off than the Pound at the moment.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
My first thought when I saw the title was:

"Oh really? What again is the average cost in US dollars to buy a gallon of gasoline from a British gas station?"

The next was:

"But they buy gasoline in Liters and for some reason call it petrol."

And finally, when the page had loaded:

"Oh, it's about video games. I should have known."

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
BobisOnlyBob said:
I can only hope this gambit pays off. I graduate this year, and intend to work as a programmer for these companies!
All I'm gonna say is you MIGHT consider moving to another country, I mean lets face it, everyone's in debt.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Sennz0r said:
To be honest I'm pretty sure the Euro is a bit better off than the Pound at the moment.
Yeah, but while pound > euro, you usally have to pay less pounds than euros.

ESPECIALLY ON STEAM.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Last time I heard the pound was worth about ?1,02 euros. But everything is much cheaper there. You still have to pay quite some extra money every time you want to withdraw money there with a non-Brittish bank pass.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
Eldritch Warlord said:

"Oh really? What again is the average cost in US dollars to buy a gallon of gasoline from a British gas station?"

The next was:

"Petrol" is actually a more reasonable name for C5-C9 petroleum distillates, because of the term, "petroleum" applying to crude mineral oil. These petroleum distillates are not gases upon refining and only become so after application of a carburettor or fuel injector system, so the terminology, "gasoline" doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
Gasoline is the proper term for the specific petroleum distillate used in internal combustion engine just as asphalt is the proper term for the specific petroleum distillate that is used to pave roads. "Gas"oline because the primary use of that product is to be made gaseous to power internal combustion and the suffix "-line" simply implies a liquid with an unusually high vapor pressure. Although in common language it is normally shortened to gas.

Feb 13, 2008
I'd use the Big Mac index [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index]
For example, using figures in July 2008:

* the price of a Big Mac was $3.57 in the United States
* the price of a Big Mac was £2.29 in the United Kingdom (Britain)
* the implied purchasing power parity was $1.56 to £1, that is $3.57/£2.29 = 1.56
* this compares with an actual exchange rate of $2.00 to £1 at the time
* the pound was thus overvalued against the dollar by 28%
o ie the actual exchange rate divided by implied purchasing parity → 2 divided by 1.56 = 1.28
So at the moment our Big Macs only cost us $3.37.

y8c616

May 14, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
Eldritch Warlord said:
so the terminology, "gasoline" doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
Just another stupid Americanism, in the same way they spell words such as litre, colour, centre, and many other words. Also the way southern Americans emphasize the "H" in vehicle makes me laugh:p

Jav3lin

Jan 18, 2009
you know what? in my country "iceland" the price of games has gone up so high, i've stopped buying em' my friend downloads a couple on a regular bases so i get gaming satisfaction from the games he gives me xD. But anyway the price is about 10.000kr per ps3 game, and thats around 100-130 dollars PER GAME!

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Eldritch Warlord said:

The next was:

i had the same thought

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Well lets hope this idea works. Since, being an English woman, everything is expensive and I can't even shop around due to the value of my currency. Hopefully someone will therefore want to employ my man and then we can live somewhere more interesting.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
y8c616 said:
RAKtheUndead said:
Eldritch Warlord said:
so the terminology, "gasoline" doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
Just another stupid Americanism, in the same way they spell words such as litre, colour, centre, and many other words. Also the way southern Americans emphasize the "H" in vehicle makes me laugh:p
With all the things you could insult about the various American dialects you choose to insult phonetic spelling and pronunciation?