Comedian Asks for $1 Million on YouTube, Millionaire Obliges

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Comedian Asks for $1 Million on YouTube, Millionaire Obliges

Who knew earning $1 million was as easy as asking for it on YouTube?

A young Craig Rowin once had the dream of making $1 million. The comedian took to YouTube to achieve his dream with a series of videos titled Please Give Me One Million Dollars asking various celebrities, such as the entire cast of Coach [http://www.amazon.com/Coach-Season-Craig-T-Nelson/dp/B000F8O2MO/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1295809517&sr=1-3], to give him the money. Apparently, it worked.

Rowin's latest video alleges that a millionaire called him up to work out the details of giving him $1 million. The millionaire sent a notarized letter saying that he'd give Rowin $1 million for nothing in return, and will do so on stage at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theater [http://newyork.ucbtheatre.com/shows/2615] in New York on February 2. Rowin will be giving $50,000 to his cameraman and $50,000 to the co-writer of the video series.

It's easy to be skeptical, but Rowin's windfall looks like it could be completely real. Some are suggesting that the situation is a hoax designed to sell tickets to the February 2 show. A friend [http://www.thecomicscomic.com/2011/01/craig-rowin-asked-the-internet-for-1-million-and-he-shall-receive-it.html] of Rowin's blogged that he ran into him and Rowin said: "I am still in shock. It's going to be insane." This could be a hoax, but Rowin is holding his cards close.

If Rowin does receive a real check from a real millionaire, this will just be another one of those times where everyone on the planet kicks themselves for not thinking of something so simple first, though Rowin's videos were definitely entertaining enough to rouse up media attention on their own. Rowin just has to be careful, because even though the millionaire put in a contract that he owes him nothing in return, Rowin might have to field some late night drunk dials from a lonely millionaire, or be on the hook to help the millionaire move for the next decade. Who could turn down a small favor from someone that gives you $1 million?

Source: Consumerist [http://consumerist.com/2011/01/guy-makes-comedy-videos-asking-for-1-million-and-gets-it.html]

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Assuming it's real, I'm going to commence kicking myself.

Although I'd imagine this will spawn thousands of copy-cat videos (again assuming it's real).

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
Hell, I once read an "Urban Legend" about a guy who funded his stay in college and bought a used pickup truck by asking everyone he ever met for some spare change.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Personally, I'd hate if I had a nice comedy skit going and someone ruined it by offering me a million dollars. The gall of some people.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I don't even want a million. Just $100,000 and I would be set.(need to pay off my highly expensive loans for a private college)

I doubt it is real, it probably setup for something. Why would someone give a successful comedian a million dollars when there are people out there who could really benefit from that money.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
Wow. What bull shit. People spend their entire lives working to earn a good wage, and this guy gets a hand out when he doesn't even need it. I hope this is fake.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Baldr said:
I don't even want a million. Just $100,000 and I would be set.(need to pay off my highly expensive loans for a private college)

I doubt it is real, it probably setup for something. Why would someone give a successful comedian a million dollars when there are people out there who could really benefit from that money.
Why not a million? You could live for the rest of your life of that pretty easily. Put the million in a high interest savings account, and even if the interest percentage is just 5-7% thats still $50,000 to $70,000 dollars a year... enough to live reasonably well off of.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
If this is not fake, then I'm certain the alleged millionaire has some reason to do this..As the saying goes "There is no free lunch". Even if it's something hidden and obscure, like (hypothetically speaking, of course) this being the millionaire's way to atone for an undiscovered crime he/she committed years ago, there's ALWAYS a reason for nice things happening out of the blue.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Aw man, that millionaire is ruining the series! How will he continue, with his sequel "Give me another million!!"?
And this is just annoying, all you need to do to earn a million dollars is asking for it?? I am surely kicking myself!
There are so many others better deserving of this, there are charities for this very reason. Not that I trust charities, if I had to give away a million bux I'd take a trip to africa and spread it around a random village.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
Starving kids in africa found this story heart warming.

Please be an epic troll, please be an epic troll... say it enough times and it might be.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Josh12345 said:
SODAssault said:
If this is real, I am going to murder everybody. Everybody in the world.
why don't you just murder a millionaire? crisis avoided
I'm sparing earth's population from living in a world with no justice. I AM THE REDEEMER, RELINQUISH YOUR BLOOD UNTO MY BLADE AND KNOW SALVATION.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
SODAssault said:
Let their blood flow like the wallets of asshole millionaires who don't care about their money.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
SODAssault said:
Please do. I can't live with the shame of not thinking of this first.
I think I'm going to cry now.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
If this a clever troll situation, then it is working marvelously.

..If this real, then I need to go have a good cry and then learn how to make Youtube videos.

<_<