Comic Crossover Delight: X-Files vs. 30 Days of Night

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Comic Crossover Delight: X-Files vs. 30 Days of Night

Everyone's favorite FBI agents are going head-to-head with everyone's favorite (non-sparkling) vampires in a new comic series.

Comic crossovers are always a gamble. For every Batman vs. Predator, there's a <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_vs._Barkley>Godzilla vs. Barkley. Wildstorm and IDW are clearly looking to recreate the magic of the former crossover rather than the awfulness of the latter. The companies are teaming up to bring the characters of The X-Files and 30 Days of Night together in a miniseries starting this month.

The new miniseries has some impressive talent involved in the project. 30 Days of Night creator Steve Niles is co-writing the comic with Tool guitarist Adam Jones, and artwork is being handled by Tom Mandrake (who recently worked on The Spectre).

The plot certainly sounds interesting, based on the official synopsis: "When evidence of a possible cannibal killer in Wainright, Alaska draws the attention of the FBI, Agents Mulder and Scully draw the less-than-glamorous assignment. But all is not as it seems once the agents are on the ground. Not only has the long seasonal darkness begun to fall, but there's something unnatural about a few of the locals. And what does a chilling, mysterious black ship have to do with the murders?"

io9 has the first few pages of the comic available for preview, and it actually looks like this has the makings of a pretty decent crossover. <a href=http://www.fangoria.com/index.php?id=1088:the-x-files30-days-of-night-1-comic-review&option=com_content&catid=54:comics-reviews&Itemid=185>Fangoria loved the first issue, though the site noted that the start of the series is more focused on Mulder and Scully instead of the vampires. Hopefully <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/30_days_of_night#Characters>Eben and Stella will make an appearance, though nothing's been announced.

The first issue of the miniseries is due in stores next week.

Source: <a href=http://io9.com/5583007/first-pages-from-mulder-and-scullys-crossover-with-30-days-of-nights-vampires>io9

Feb 13, 2008
I preferred Godzilla vs Bambi.

IMHO, Mulder and Scully have done immense PR for the F.B.I. and should be thanked accordingly.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Ohhh! Intresting cross over! Ill have to read this...

The Random One

May 29, 2008
vansau said:
Comic crossovers are always a gamble. For every Batman vs. Predator, there's a <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_vs._Barkley>Godzilla vs. Barkley.
Wow, Batman vs. Predator was that bad?

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
The Random One said:
vansau said:
Comic crossovers are always a gamble. For every Batman vs. Predator, there's a <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_vs._Barkley>Godzilla vs. Barkley.
Batman vs. Predator was awesome. It was one of my favorite comics, when I was growing up. The sequels, however, were pretty crap.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
Wait- X Files? People still care about that show outside of fanfiction?

(Gets hit over the head with a rolled up "I want to Believe" Poster)

OW! I was kidding!

I wonder if a certain Cigarette-Smoking man will make an appearance? Or Skinner at the very Least?

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
This sounds kind of like it'd be more up Fringe Division's alley then the X-files. Anyway, I'm not sure how the two universes will cross over. I mean those vampires were pretty powerful, they're definitely in for a fight. I might actually check this out.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Ih8pkmn said:

OW! I was kidding!

I wonder if a certain Cigarette-Smoking man will make an appearance? Or Skinner at the very Least?
Skinner at least gets mentioned in the preview pages.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
That seems like an awesome sounding series. I love the X-Files! :D

blinkgun96

Dec 15, 2008
The Random One said:
vansau said:
lol

vansau said:
there's a <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_vs._Barkley>Godzilla vs. Barkley.
I thought I told the world to never speak of that again.*begins to burn every copy in existence*

Did anyone read "Army of Darkness vs. Marvel Zombies", or "Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash"? Now those are crossovers.

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
Ih8pkmn said:

OW! I was kidding!

Actually, I was wondering the same thing... and I wasn't kidding. I wasn't aware X Files existed in any medium apart from that movie a few years ago.

Does X Files have a regular title or anything apart from this crossover? If so, is it any good?

I'm getting X cited (yes, I went there).

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
blinkgun96 said:
I thought I told the world to never speak of that again.*begins to burn every copy in existence*

Did anyone read "Army of Darkness vs. Marvel Zombies", or "Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash"? Now those are crossovers.
Yup, those were awesome. I also enjoyed Wolverine/The Darkness. The real question is: do you remember Deathmate? The Valient/Image crossover that nearly destroyed the comics industry in the 90s?

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Everyone's favorite FBI agents are going head-to-head with everyone's favorite (non-sparkling) vampires in a new comic series
That would be wrong vansau.My favorite FBI agent is Agent Seeley Booth.And my favorite vampires are the ones in....Okay,you got me with that 30 Days of Night bit.

OT:Well I would read it.But comics are hard to come by here in Iceland.The only store that sells them is in Reykjavík.And I only go to Reykjavík once or twice a year.And I don't always go to Nexus when I'm there.

This-is-Hip-Hop

Feb 21, 2009
I probably won't pick this up at my next comic book stop, dosn't really appeal to me, not the subject matter, mostly just the cross-over idea, the only one I've ever enjoyed is Cyber-force hunter killer, which, being of such similar subject matter, is hardly a crossover, seems almost natural that they are toghther.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
RanD00M said:
Everyone's favorite FBI agents are going head-to-head with everyone's favorite (non-sparkling) vampires in a new comic series
That would be wrong vansau.My favorite FBI agent is Agent Seeley Booth.And my favorite vampires are the ones in....Okay,you got me with that 30 Days of Night bit.

OT:Well I would read it.But comics are hard to come by here in Iceland.The only store that sells them is in Reykjavík.And I only go to Reykjavík once or twice a year.And I don't always go to Nexus when I'm there.
I like Booth, too, but he's only one agent. When it comes to AgentS, Mulder and Scully are still at the top of my list.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
vansau said:
I like Booth, too, but he's only one agent. When it comes to AgentS, Mulder and Scully are still at the top of my list.
But the awesomesauce that is Seeley Booth is enough to be considered an entire FBI building.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
RanD00M said:
vansau said:
But the awesomesauce that is Seeley Booth is enough to be considered an entire FBI building.
And yet, is only a single person. If he becomes a (sparkly) vampire hunter, however, I will be happy to reconsider my position

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
vansau said:
And yet, is only a single person. If he becomes a (sparkly) vampire hunter, however, I will be happy to reconsider my position
I'm just guessing here.But was that a reference to when he played Angel?