Command & Conquer Remaster conquers the world

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So the remaster of a beloved old RTS game, one of the games that really established the genre has released on steam and origin.

I always had a huge weakness for the C&C games so I had to grab it. The new graphics look great and I love that I can swap between old and new. The redone sound track is fantastic and the new cutscenes... well, they look ok to kinda crap, but considering that all the masters were lost, the fact they could get them looking this good is impressive. Personally I feel the gameplay holds up, although it is certainly rough compared to how far RTS games have come, the pathfinding works but is pretty wonky, there is no move/attack and some of the mission designs really show that they were designed in a time before play testers. One of the biggest things I was worried about was that this is an EA owned game, so I was sure they would try some shit with it, but low and behold, no origin needed, you don't even need an EA account or anything, just start it up, go through the old dos install sequence (which is awesome and probably skippable) and have at it.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Booted up the First Decade DVD I bought in 2006 to freshen up the feel for these games. They are a little rough. Tiberian Sun is a huge improvement already, but that game tends to crash. I've watched some multiplayer gameplay from this collection and I don't like how high the game speed is set up. Takes away from the tactics.

I'll reconsider buying it if mods and maps add more value.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Booted up the First Decade DVD I bought in 2006 to freshen up the feel for these games. They are a little rough. Tiberian Sun is a huge improvement already, but that game tends to crash. I've watched some multiplayer gameplay from this collection and I don't like how high the game speed is set up. Takes away from the tactics.

I'll reconsider buying it if mods and maps add more value.
Well, one of the actually really cool things that EA did was they released the source code and its integrated with the steam workshop. So all the old mods and maps that people made for it back in the day, those already work for it and since the source is out there, a lot of new stuff will be coming too.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
While I have no urge to replay either, since I feel the gameplay hasn't aged particulary well, I'm glad they've both been cleaned up a bit and made available to get ahold of easily again.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Hey EA? Why don't you remaster Tiberian Twilight and make it, I dunno, GOOD this time?

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I’m really enjoying it overall, but the first having such absurdly short range on minigunners kinda makes them real frustrating to use. In general there’s just a ton that’s just a bit off with it, but that was true with the original. Still a lot of fun.
Edit- also doesn’t help that the other option for “infantry which kills infantry” for both factions explodes when it dies, meaning you have to actually try to manage units in this absurdly old rts.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Is it any different than the original though except graphics?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Is it any different than the original though except graphics?
New sound track which is fantastic, plus still has the old one too. There are also a bunch of bonus things and making of vids, but the gameplay is the same as the old far as I can tell.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Pretty sure that would be more of a remake then a remaster.

I never played TT because I heard it was kinda shit...from pretty much everyone.
Yeah it was just garbage, everything about it aside from the graphics, those looked good. But the gameplay was shit that was intended for multi, the story was crap, and the cutscenes looks really cheap, like cheaper then the cutscenes from the old games.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Yeah it was just garbage, everything about it aside from the graphics, those looked good. But the gameplay was shit that was intended for multi, the story was crap, and the cutscenes looks really cheap, like cheaper then the cutscenes from the old games.
You mean the live-action cutscenes or the CGI battle cutscenes? Because IIRC, the CGI cutscnes rarely looked very good, with exception of some of the Red Alert 2 cutscenes, like the intro(which was awesome).

Otherwise, graphics looking good is something most games tend to nail, sadly often at the expense of everything else.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
You mean the live-action cutscenes or the CGI battle cutscenes? Because IIRC, the CGI cutscnes rarely looked very good, with exception of some of the Red Alert 2 cutscenes, like the intro(which was awesome).

Otherwise, graphics looking good is something most games tend to nail, sadly often at the expense of everything else.
The live action ones, like they just looked cheap, I remember too many of them happening in a non-descript room. Generally the other games managed to have character with them, not TT.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
The live action ones, like they just looked cheap, I remember too many of them happening in a non-descript room. Generally the other games managed to have character with them, not TT.
You mean in front of an obvious greenscreen with maybe a prop table? Yeah, I totally remember Red Alert and it's fakey looking sets. Red Alert 2 and Red Alert 3 seemed to have a sligjly larger budget and had some actual sets in play, not to mention the quality of the video was better. Don't get me wrong, it was still campy as hell but it was better on a technical level.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
You mean in front of an obvious greenscreen with maybe a prop table? Yeah, I totally remember Red Alert and it's fakey looking sets. Red Alert 2 and Red Alert 3 seemed to have a sligjly larger budget and had some actual sets in play, not to mention the quality of the video was better. Don't get me wrong, it was still campy as hell but it was better on a technical level.
Yeah, thats the thing, they did that a lot but there was a campy charm to them there, the ones in TT lacked even that.