Comments About Indie Games Taken Out of Context, Says Braid Creator [UPDATED]

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
RenegadePacifist said:
"I created an overpraised game, once." says Blow, while furiously masturbating to pictures of his own creation, Braid, that are littered over his bedroom ceiling, in his wallet; around his toilet and even on custom plates of fine china that cost him much of his income from the game's sales.

"So, naturally, I'm in the perfect position to say a few lines that look quite intellectual, but I need go no further than this because, as you see, I am an artiste.". Blow then concluded the interview by blowing his load over his own tongue, and claiming it yet a magnificent drop of paint on the canvas that is his life.
That would be funny if he was actually arrogant over Braid's success.

At one point he actually refused to admit that it was a good game.

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
Could you guys, I don't know, change the title?
It would really help stop flame wars like these.

Okay, thanks.

-Zero

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
AC10 said:
Or you could put it on PC, the open platform.
they're too afraid of the modding community making better stuff for free !

soapyshooter said:
Idk seems like PSN does have a broader indie selection with great games coming out of small studios like Joe Danger, Flower etc. Even big guys like Valve said XBL rules are a ***** to navigate even with things like patches and dlc, its probably worse with an entire game.
and remember that XBL makes you pay for all the extra goodies, while in PSN, some are free!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Blow said that to pull quotes like that from the interview and present them out of context was not only sensationalist and less than worthless
Less than worthless? Sounds like you and your games in general, Blow. ;)

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I think the basic statement that Sony is willing to take chances with games is true. Sony has allowed some very different games on the PS3. How many would expect a story driven game like Heavy Rain on Xbox? Or an odd little game like Little Big Planet? Of course Microsoft gets points for Left 4 Dead and Mass Effect.

In the end, I think both consoles have different strengths and weaknesses.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
mjc0961 said:
Blow said that to pull quotes like that from the interview and present them out of context was not only sensationalist and less than worthless
Less than worthless? Sounds like you and your games in general, Blow. ;)
Braid was absolutely brilliant.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I think that it might be that when people make Halo clones, they put them on Xbox, which doesn't make it seem very open. But there was one strange little game on arcade that is in the top downnloads, arcade hits and arcade legends that pretty much makes your argument illegitamate (that I actually liked a bit better than Braid, but that's only my oppinion. Braid was still nice):

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
You know, I've never really looked at the PSN games, but their catalogue didn't seem very different than Microsofts, maybe except that there's less random shit in it.

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
Yeah game journalism makes me vomit a lot of times. It's seen everywhere, a lot stuff taken out of context or completely misinterpreted. Rumors laid out as highly possible etc. pp.

Happens on actually every site including escapist more than often ;P

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
GoGo_Boy said:
Yeah game journalism makes me vomit a lot of times. It's seen everywhere, a lot stuff taken out of context or completely misinterpreted. Rumors laid out as highly possible etc. pp.

Happens on actually every site including escapist more than often ;P
I somewhat agree with this but I wouldn't limit it just to gaming journalism. Journalist everywhere do it, it's part of their job to present the story in a way that will generate the most interest from the readers (even if it loses part of it's credibility in some cases) so no surprises here. At least we got the update admitting the story wasn't story wasn't 100% accurate.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
Did this need an addendum added?

I read the original citation and thought he was poiting out strong arguments for the validity of both XBL (mass titles to find the gems) and PSN (weed out the mess and support the extraordinary). There was no need for any change later on if you ask me. It would only divise those who are incapable of actually reading properly.

So if you ask me Blow himself is being stupid by saying his words were taken out of context.

AC10 said:
I think the consoles are more attractive because they give a better prospective on your return on investment. IE. you can actually make money.

Del-Toro

Aug 6, 2008
I don't see how he can claim that they were taken out of context, unless he said more about that particular part of the topic, I mean, if that's all he said about how the two systems are run then that's what he said about how the two systems are run, it doesn't matter what else you said in the interview if it didn't cover that aspect.

Maybe he's using a new, artsy definition of context.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
and now he backs out!! yeah, of course he would, jerk, he says something, gets backlash and "I WAS MISSINTERPRETED!!! IT HAPPENS ALOT!! I´M AN ARTIST!!!"

ha...

someotherguy

Nov 15, 2009
I can agree with him, a majority of the Indie games on XBLA are absolute trash.

And I hate the sprite he used for the main character in braid, I don't know why but it bugs the hell out of me.
Vortigar said:
Did this need an addendum added?

I read the original citation and thought he was poiting out strong arguments for the validity of both XBL (mass titles to find the gems) and PSN (weed out the mess and support the extraordinary). There was no need for any change later on if you ask me. It would only divise those who are incapable of actually reading properly.

So if you ask me Blow himself is being stupid by saying his words were taken out of context.

AC10 said:
I think the consoles are more attractive because they give a better prospective on your return on investment. IE. you can actually make money.
I reference you to the casual games market.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
See why taking stuff out of context sucks? It's like those sensational quotes regarding the PS3 from Gabe Newell that just wouldn't stop. Every site is guilty of doing it. I love Kotaku but even they used to pull crap like that to get hits.
And I don't care if Jonathan Blow is deemed full of himself, Braid is one of the best games ever, and his bashing of WoW (games that purposefully waste your time) is justified.
And yeah, Limbo is also incredible and only on XBLA.

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
Leviathan902 said:
Way to bite the hand that feeds there Mr. Blow.

While pulling stuff out of your ass, no less.

XBLA has Limbo, P.B. Winterbottom, Braid, Castle Crashers, and dozens more high quality independent games. Not to mention the entire friggin' Indie Channel. The PSN has some great exclusives as well, but I haven't seen anything really light the world on fire there, certainly any more so than XBLA. What the hell is he talking about?

If the argument is about "ART" games, then to be honest, you probably shouldn't be looking to EITHER console. The fact that the PS3 has 2 or 3 that are decent doesn't really qualify it as a mecca of the "genre". If you want to play art games, stick to your PC.
I believe he was specifically referring to the Xbox Live Indie games market, but I'm not sure. Honestly, the XBLI is kind of... well, sucky, so I'd agree with him on that. I'd go so far as to say that comparable games on the PS3 suck just as bad, though. There's generally a reason it only costs a dollar, people.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
Cursed Frogurt said:
See why taking stuff out of context sucks? It's like those sensational quotes regarding the PS3 from Gabe Newell that just wouldn't stop. Every site is guilty of doing it. I love Kotaku but even they used to pull crap like that to get hits.
And I don't care if Jonathan Blow is deemed full of himself, Braid is one of the best games ever, and his bashing of WoW (games that purposefully waste your time) is justified.
And yeah, Limbo is also incredible and only on XBLA.
This thread is now complete