Common Idioms/Expressions That Never Made Sense To You

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Am I the only person who finds the term "third wheel" to not make any sense? Being a third wheel means being extraneous, getting in the way, and basically ruining a good time, but that analogy never rang true to me. I mean, think about it; on a tricycle, doesn't the third wheel actually make the trike stable? Aren't tricycles much steadier in comparison to bikes, and a lot harder to knock over? Don't airplanes use three wheels for landing precisely because that is the most stable arrangement?

Two wheels seem rickety and more prone to accidents. And aren't there now three wheeled boles that let you peddle while lying down? That seems way more comfortable! I WANT a third wheel. It sounds appealing.

Anyway, that's me being overly literal with a figure of speech. How about you? What common phrases make absolutely no sense to you?

delet

Nov 2, 2008
"All but [x]"

For example: "The building was all but destroyed."
You'd think this would mean that the building was still up, but damaged in many other ways, etc. Nope. Time and time again, I've seen this phrase used to say that the thing in question is [x]. Thusly, the above example means that the building has been destroyed.

Makes no damned sense.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Head over heels.

Was this saying coined by a clumsy bat or something? A clumsy bat that wore heels, I guess.

higgs20

Feb 16, 2010
playing gooseberry. it means a similar thing to being a third wheel but i never understood it, are gooseberries renowned for sitting with couples and making them uncomfortable?

TWRule

Dec 3, 2010
"That's life," or it's many variations used to justify something that people are responsible for. No, it's not life - it's you. Jerk.

The Red Spy

Dec 1, 2009
badgersprite said:
Am I the only person who finds the term "third wheel" to not make any sense? Being a third wheel means being extraneous, getting in the way, and basically ruining a good time, but that analogy never rang true to me. I mean, think about it; on a tricycle, doesn't the third wheel actually make the trike stable? Aren't tricycles much steadier in comparison to bikes, and a lot harder to knock over? Don't airplanes use three wheels for landing precisely because that is the most stable arrangement?

Two wheels seem rickety and more prone to accidents. And aren't there now three wheeled boles that let you peddle while lying down? That seems way more comfortable! I WANT a third wheel. It sounds appealing.

Anyway, that's me being overly literal with a figure of speech. How about you? What common phrases make absolutely no sense to you?
/Obligatory video of Robin Reliant

Would having a third wheel off centre on a normal bike or cart not cause more problems though, therefore be unnecessary?

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
"Cute as a bug's ear"

Even if bugs had ears, I highly doubt they'd be cute.

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
I wonder if the term 'to have your cake and eat it too' is gonna pop up somewhere here...
I think it will. Lets wait and see =D

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Cheery Lunatic said:
"Same difference."

...whut?
I can't stand when people say 'same difference'.

example:

"We had dinner at McDonalds."
"No Mike, it was a Burger King"
"Same Difference."

No...No that is not the same difference. The same difference between Mcdonalds and Burger King is that you're not eating at Sonic or, Arbys.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
The Red Spy said:
/Obligatory video of Robin Reliant

Would having a third wheel off centre on a normal bike or cart not cause more problems though, therefore be unnecessary?
Ahaha. Well done. And, yeah, I do get where the idiom comes from and what it's really implying, but I'm just being facetious. I find that more fun. ;)

Also, "It's always in the last place you look." ...No, I'm going to keep looking after I find what I'm looking for just to be extra sure that it's not a figment of my imagination. Of course it's going to be in the last place I look! /overdone joke

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
When people say they 'Could care less' and they mean to say they ''Could not care less''.

Seriously winds me up.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
badgersprite said:

Well it's all about dynamic and static stability really. Bikes are stable when moving and hence a third wheel gets in the way. But of course in stationary (or static) situations obviously the third point of contact helps.

As for me, "A poor workman blames his tools". I can understand it but obviously a good workman with poor tools would also make a similar remark stating their inferiority.
Ace of Spades said:
"Having one's cake and eating it". Isn't eating it the whole point of having a cake?
Unless you're a stripper, in which case you jump out of it. ;)
Cheery Lunatic said:
"Same difference."

...whut?
It has interchangable meaning with "fuck off and stop ruining my argument/pointing out I'm wrong" I believe.

Drakane

May 8, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Head over heels.

Was this saying coined by a clumsy bat or something? A clumsy bat that wore heels, I guess.
would you prefer ass over appetite? When standing upright your foot (which has a heel) is underneath you, if you fall head over heals it would put you on your head feet and heel over it, making it a pretty splendid and spectacular fall

OT: If you do x "you'll be just another statistic", Don't do x or you will end up being a statistic.. etc.

If 7 -10 people driving after 11 pm are under the influence of alcohol (fake example I don't remember the real stat} and your one of the 3 fully sober people... your still part of the statistic...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
making history, I hate that term, you dont make history, history happens, at best you put a footnote in it

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
TheEvilCheese said:
When people say they 'Could care less' and they mean to say they ''Could not care less''.

Seriously winds me up.
Argh! I hate that as well.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
badgersprite said:

Who the fuck says third wheel? The saying is fifth wheel. As in a extraneous wheel that isn't doing anything.

Oh and for the fools who are going to bring up "To have your cake and eat it" Here is a cake just for you... You have your cake right, now give it to me... Thank you, you can have it back. Now eat it... Would you like a glass of milk?... Ok you've eaten it, now give it to me... What you can't? You've eaten it? You don't have it any more? Don't you have your cake?

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Worgen said:
making history, I hate that term, you dont make history, history happens, at best you put a footnote in it.
I quite like the way you put that actually.
And yes, making history is not exactly a good term but does convey meaning and significance.

Mad_Ogre

Jan 10, 2011
The phrase 'as it were' has always outraged me for some reason. I think it is because it is a phrase to which the meaning is not self explanatory to the extent that it barely fits, and also because the people who use it are - from my experience - pretentious jerks who think they're more important than they truly are.