Company To Use CryEngine 3 For Urban Design Projects

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Company To Use CryEngine 3 For Urban Design Projects

Maximum utilization of vertical space to create compelling personalized environs!

Aside from a few low-rent indie titles, CryEngine 3 hasn't seen much use outside of the Crysis and FarCry franchises. That's a shame, because the engine is gorgeous, eminently scalable and free of the annoying texture-streaming bugbears that haunt the much-more-popular Unreal 3 engine. The engine does see a lot of use in tech demos, however, and now a design company by the name of Enodo has announced plans to use the engine to create interactive models of its urban and industrial design projects.

Now, interactive 3D models are nothing new, but they're generally thrown together with AutoCAD-esque design programs that focus on providing a simple demonstration of space and scale rather than layering on the eye candy. The video to the above right is a proof-of-concept video, but it does demonstrate the engine's impressive depth of field and HDR lighting tech.

This isn't the first time game engines have been used for architectural designs. Back in 2000, researchers at Cambridge University's Martin Centre for Architectural and Urban Studies used a modified version of the Quakeengine [http://www.geek.com/games/practical-quake-application-564849/] to allow users to wander around virtual buildings. An earlier version of the Unreal engine [http://www.unrealty.net/vsmm99] also got the same treatment.

I'm gonna' lay it on the line for you here, guys; First person to let me rocket jump around the Louvre gets my cash.

Source: Rock Paper Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/24/maximum-graphicsability-cryengine-aids-industrial-design/]

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Combined with virtual reality, I really hope one day we get to travel in uber-realistic virtual spaces like this, and not just for games. There's so much potential with these game engines.

Also, I think I heard this video's music somewhere in Civilization V.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Good lord. Making those darn Autocad models already takes up so much time and most councils/architecture agencies have trouble finding someone with the experience to use the programme, I can just imagine the headache of trying to find someone who can design models to such a professional scale on a freaking game engine.

We were taught to use Google Sketchup because our University was too cheap to shell out for Autocad in all their computers.

On the bright side every new architecture design is only a few spawnpoints from becoming a Crysis multiplayer level. That would liven up the public presentations!

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Hero in a half shell said:
Good lord. Making those darn Autocad models already takes up so much time and most councils/architecture agencies have trouble finding someone with the experience to use the programme, I can just imagine the headache of trying to find someone who can design models to such a professional scale on a freaking game engine.

We were taught to use Google Sketchup because our University was too cheap to shell out for Autocad in all their computers.

On the bright side every new architecture design is only a few spawnpoints from becoming a Crysis multiplayer level. That would liven up the public presentations!
Don't you find Blender (That's how you model stuff for use in a videogame yeah?) easier to use than AutoCAD? Plus it's free.

Kipenz

Dec 14, 2010
Grey Carter said:
Aside from a few low-rent indie titles, CryEngine 3 hasn't seen much use outside of the Crysis and FarCry franchises.
Hasn't seen much use in the Farcry franchise either considering they use CryEngine 1, Dunia 1, and Dunia 2 respectively.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Cry Engine 3 hasn't been used in making any Far Cry game, silly willy.
They're still using Cry Engine 1 I think.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
HDR Lighting and Depth of Field, while they can look nice, are basically useless. DOF is one of the fist things I turn off because even good DOF tends to be buggy as shit. Look, this single blade of grass is in my crosshairs, that is clearly where my focus is. I would classify this as overkill and an expensive way to do the same thing. Good luck with that.

phoenixbeast

Apr 14, 2009
For a second I thought my college degree (Construction Graphics) was going to be obsolete already, but luckily took the time to read the article and watch the video. This isn't actual building (like blueprints and the like) but rather building environments.

Really its all gonna come down to one major thing though time. How much time will it take someone to learn to do all the necessary stuff in the program and then how much time will each project take to make. Will that much detail be NECESSARY to communicate what needs to be communicated or will it just be lots of fluff that ends up taking more time and in turn more money. That is (without research into it more) probably the reason you don't see those previously developed methods being used.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
MASTACHIEFPWN said:
Cry Engine 3 hasn't been used in making any Far Cry game, silly willy.
They're still using Cry Engine 1 I think.
Well... yes and no. Today, they're using a heavily modified version called Dunia, which is so far removed from the original CryEngine that CryEngine 3 has technically more in common with CryEngine 1 then Dunia has.

On the original topic, I can kinda picture these guys stockpiling some Oculus Rifts, when giving presentations on their virtual environment. From an outsider perspective, it would probably be a rather funny sight to see a group of suit wearing business people, holding onto champagne flutes and walking around an empty room, with the rifts on their faces.

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
Might as well drop this, here: Recreating the Titanic in CryEngine [http://titanic-honor-and-glory.tumblr.com/] (...with 7 days to go on their crowdfunding drive).