Competition-Banned Meta Knight Returns in Super Smash Bros

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Competition-Banned Meta Knight Returns in Super Smash Bros

Meta Knight is a Super Smash Bros. veteran, a fighter banned from competitive Brawl tournaments, and the latest playable character in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS.

Nintendo officially revealed today Meta Knight will return in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS. Super Smash Bros. director Masahiro Sakurai teased Meta Knight's return with a picture of a Mii Fighter wearing Meta Knight's armor [https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKlhcJMgZQ].

Meta Knight first became a Super Smash Bros. fighter in the previous game, Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Several tournaments banned him because of his ability to monopolize the fights due to his speed, higher priority in attacks, edge play, and aerial recovery and attacks. He has close to no disadvantages when compared to the other characters, and he affected the metagame so much that competitors voted to remove Meta Knight from tournaments. While the ban is not universal, many competitions choose to ban him from use.

Sakurai's follow-up post in Miiverse indicates the development team have changed some of Meta Knight's moves significantly from Brawl. "Meta Knight's Up Special Move, Shuttle Loop, changed quite a bit in this game," Sakurai wrote. "The glide is gone, and the attack slashes opponents twice while spinning in a large loop. This has turned into a highly technical and effective move."

The Battleship Halberd also returns, Sakurai said.

[gallery=3000]

Hopefully Meta Knight will be better balanced with the rest of the cast so that he'll be playable in tournaments. With Super Smash Bros. for 3DS releasing in Japan in only one more month, how many characters are there left for us to discover? plenty other veterans and new fighters to check out. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136119-Super-Smash-Bros-4s-New-Challengers-Are-Fire-Emblems-Robin-And-Lucina]

Source: Miiverse [http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/metaknight.html]

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Well, I don't mind him being back. I just hope he gets nerfed like hell.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
And yet, still no Ganondorf. *sigh*

Oh well, maybe he'll be a secret character?

Just like Luigi will inevitably be...even though he's appeared in every Smash Bros game to date.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
If Meta Knight is so overpowered, were there entire high level matches of Meta vs Meta? I'm guessing there were but I suppose the better question is, was it fun to watch?

Klonoa Prower

Jul 23, 2008
-Dragmire- said:
If Meta Knight is so overpowered, were there entire high level matches of Meta vs Meta? I'm guessing there were but I suppose the better question is, was it fun to watch?
There were, and it wasn't. XD

He had something akin to a 45% usage rate before bans took effect.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
marioandsonic said:
Just like Luigi will inevitably be...even though he's appeared in every Smash Bros game to date.
Luigi isn't a secret character, he was revealed over a year ago. In fact, after the original Smash Bros announcement, Luigi was one of the first characters announced as returning. His Final Smash is also revealed.
Now will we have to unlock him, probably, but that'd be it really. Only game I think Luigi was difficult to unlock in is the original Smash Bros because you have to finish the Target Break game with the 8 base characters.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Neronium said:
marioandsonic said:
Luigi isn't a secret character, he was revealed over a year ago. In fact, after the original Smash Bros announcement, Luigi was one of the first characters announced as returning. His Final Smash is also revealed.
Now will we have to unlock him, probably, but that'd be it really. Only game I think Luigi was difficult to unlock in is the original Smash Bros because you have to finish the Target Break game with the 8 base characters.
Yeah, true. I just find it odd that we would have to unlock Luigi, even though pretty much every Smash Bros. player knows he's in the game.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Why is it that Smash Bros is the only competitive game I hear about banning fighters?

Could you imagine if Starcraft tournaments banned Zerg? Or if Street Fighter tournaments banned Akuma?

And before anyone says "Well THOSE games are balanced!", there wasn't a single instance of fighter banning in Marvel vs Capcom 2, and that was the most unbalanced fighting game in the history of fighting games. I just don't understand why people can't learn to play despite/with the game's flaws. Smash Bros fans are vehemently against the concept of adaption, and it's weird that it happened to this specific game in particular.

Though I will say, I do enjoy Masahiro Sakurai's subtle "fuck you's" to those specific kinds of players.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
Latest press release from Nintendo:

"Meet your new challengers: the entire cast of Hyrule Warriors!"

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Scrythe said:
Why is it that Smash Bros is the only competitive game I hear about banning fighters?

Could you imagine if Starcraft tournaments banned Zerg? Or if Street Fighter tournaments banned Akuma?

And before anyone says "Well THOSE games are balanced!", there wasn't a single instance of fighter banning in Marvel vs Capcom 2, and that was the most unbalanced fighting game in the history of fighting games. I just don't understand why people can't learn to play despite/with the game's flaws. Smash Bros fans are vehemently against the concept of adaption, and it's weird that it happened to this specific game in particular.

Though I will say, I do enjoy Masahiro Sakurai's subtle "fuck you's" to those specific kinds of players.
Dude, Akuma was banned in the Super Street Fighter II: Turbo Edition HD Remix. Yun or Yang is banned from Street Fighter III: Third Impact. Durai is banned from Virtua Figher. Banning characters is common in fighting games. It's weird, but not abnormal.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Honestly, Smash Bros Tournament fans are some of the most whiny, stuck up, elitist video game fans I've ever seen. I mean, honestly? It's a game about Nintendo (Mostly Nintendo) characters cartoonishly smacking each other over the head with their over the top attacks, yet their first response is still to ban 99% of the content from their games - remove all the items, only play on the most boring map, and restrict themselves to a select few characters. It would be fine if they only did it in their own games but they act like everybody, even in public games, is some sort of complete monstrous noob for not playing their dull and repetitive way.

And seriously? We get it, you liked melee. But almost only playing Brawl when it's modded to hell to be some Melee-Frankenstein monster? That's just silly. That's like getting a new girlfriend/boyfriend after a break up and making sure they dress and look just like you ex.

/EndRant

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Scrythe said:

Bans happen more often than that, Sagat in Vanilla Street Fighter 4 was "soft banned" because of how good he was. Depending on where you were he was banned completely.

MvC2 has a team system which would make up slightly for more unbalanced characters, though i havent played it in a while so thats as much as I can say. Fighters like Street Fighter and Tekken were designed to be able to be played at tournaments. Smash was not, the creator went on record saying he didnt want it to be played at tournaments like that, its no wonder that the game can be a little unbalanced at times.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Scrythe said:

Bans are not uncommon in competitive games. In fact, aside from Meta-Knight in Brawl, all other iterations of Smash are much more balanced than most other fighters where none of the cast is banned. And yes, let's say "fuck you" to the players that love the series and will be playing it for years after most other people just drop it after a few months.

Uriel_Hayabusa said:
I too wonder if HAL has taken steps to rebalance Metaknight or if he'll be as overpowered as ever.
HAL Labs hasn't worked on a Smash game since Melee, which might explain the dip in quality.