Conan O'Brien Reviews Minecraft (Poorly)

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Conan O'Brien Reviews Minecraft (Poorly)

Behold Coco's adventures in "Glaucoma World."

Minecraft is perhaps the crowning example of indie game success. It came out of nowhere and hit it big, addicting hundreds of thousands of players who just wanted to keep mining all day long [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/miracle-of-sound/3009-Mining-All-Day-long]. Sadly, comedian Conan O'Brien isn't one of them.

[teamcoco=37921]

On a segment of his series aptly titled "Clueless Gamer," the videogame-illiterate Conan and a more experienced buddy dive into the world of videogame reviews. By popular request, the first (and perhaps only) game the late-night comic tackles is Mojang's mining extravaganza.

And as you can see, the guy just doesn't get it. In all fairness to Conan, the appeal of Minecraft is in its infinite replayability and crafting, which non-gaming laypeople obviously aren't going to experience in a few minutes of play. Beyond that, the segment is clearly meant to be funny rather than an honest and serious review.

That said, I bet that Team Coco is receiving some angry mail from Mojang fanboys. You know the type.

Source: Team Coco [http://teamcoco.com/video/clueless-gamer-minecraft-07/24/12]

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
lol at his silly pants...

This was a pretty funny segment.

Get eyeglasses Minecraft players!

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
Trying to explain Minecraft is the fastest way to make it sound like the lamest thing ever. You gotta give it 30 minutes. After that time, either you get it (or it's got you), or you don't.

Stupid little game is every single one of my gaming compulsions wrapped up in one deviously addictive package. And yes, I play only the 360 version. Come at me.

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
To be honest being British I had no idea who Conan O'Brien was or why this was news worthy until I google'd his name, but I found all those jokes cringe-worthy to the extreme and not particularly funny. Guess that's just the different sense of humor that exists between the UK and the US.

Serfix

Jun 16, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Well no wonder he didn't like it: Damn noob went with the console version!
Don't know if you are serious or not but the basic idea of the game on PC and Xbox is the same. I don't think Conan wouldn't change his opinion eventhough he played it on PC

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
I tried Minecraft and *raises flameshield* It was the dullest experience of my life. I understand the appeal but it is most definatly not for me. I hope I am not bombarded with messages telling me I have no creative imagination and only play CoD (which I don't)
Ye...Minecraft is incredibly boring if you're playing alone. At least it's that for me. And honestly, not a huge fan of vanilla minecraft. Having much more fun with Tekkit mod for it and playing with friends.

Cause no matter what other mods I tried for MC, it is still boring without playing with a friend.

That's my opinion at least. =)

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
the thing about minecraft is you got to start the game with an objective in mind since you are not provided with one. For example my favorite first objective is to dig all the way to the bottom of the world and second is usually to build a very tall tower

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Serfix said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Well no wonder he didn't like it: Damn noob went with the console version!
Don't know if you are serious or not but the basic idea of the game on PC and Xbox is the same. I don't think Conan wouldn't change his opinion eventhough he played it on PC
I think it would have been rated better if he was given an adventure map or some form of quest mob so he could have a goal to work towards, he was mostly lost and didn't know what to do, which is never fun.

Or if he'd been chucked into a server with a war between two factions over a castle was going on.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
I played minecraft and I'm glad I did not pay for it. the game just didn't connect to me. Before you fanboys start flaming,understand that not everyone shares your interest in what you would probably consider a good game, I for one don't share that interest.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
"They've put no effort into the graphics."

That's pure gold right there!

Oh and Conan? They're not "plaid pants," it's a kilt. Your avatar is clearly a Scottish stereotype.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Hehe, I actually liked that a lot. And now we know what he really wears under that table.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
He has a fairer scoring system than most professional reviewers, at least. And lets people embed clips of his show onto web pages without having to upload a pirated copy onto YouTube first, which probably wasn't his personal decision but it's still admirable.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
therandombear said:
TizzytheTormentor said:
I tried Minecraft and *raises flameshield* It was the dullest experience of my life. I understand the appeal but it is most definatly not for me. I hope I am not bombarded with messages telling me I have no creative imagination and only play CoD (which I don't)
Ye...Minecraft is incredibly boring if you're playing alone. At least it's that for me. And honestly, not a huge fan of vanilla minecraft. Having much more fun with Tekkit mod for it and playing with friends.

Cause no matter what other mods I tried for MC, it is still boring without playing with a friend.

That's my opinion at least. =)
Pfft. I only play alone. I don't want some other loser coming in and wrecking my shit. All you need is a project.. like, in my latest world, rebuilding a deformed village and expanding it until SUDDENLY IRON GOLEMS.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Great video. I've watched the all the other Clueless gamer clips and they're all really funny. Most of them are Kinect games so it's nice to see him reviewing something else for a change.