Conan the Barbarian Conquers Kickstarter With $3.3M Tabletop Campaign

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Conan the Barbarian Conquers Kickstarter With $3.3M Tabletop Campaign

[kickstarter=806316071/conan]

Monolith Board Games' Conan had the most successful board game campaign in Kickstarter's history.

Update: In the original version of this story I mistakenly said the game would sell for $50 after its release. The actual number is $100. My apologies for the error and any confusion it might have caused.

Original Story: Late last year, the folks at the Las Vegas-based Monolith Board Games launched a Kickstarter aimed at giving the world a new tabletop title based on the had given more than $1 million, making the game's original goal look downright paltry by comparison. Even that lofty number would be put to shame however, as the game's campaign would eventually reach heights likely unimaginable to its creators when it first began.

Wrapping up earlier today, Monolith's Conan campaign closed with a whopping sum of $3,327,757 given by more than 16,000 backers. More than 41 times Monolith's original goal, the $3.3 million contributed unlocked 55 stretch goals and 22 planned add-ons. According its creators, it also makes Conan "officially the most successful" board game in the history of Kickstarter. Speaking about the Kickstarter's impressive results, the company thanked its contributors for the opportunity their generosity has provided. "Thank you for all your support, for all the trust you have placed in us," said <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/conan/posts/1132817>an update. "You guys have blown our expectations out of the water. All bets are now off as they say but one thing is sure, you have given us the means, the encouragement and the determination to take this ball and run with it."

[gallery=3815]

The game itself will pit a single "overlord" against 1-4 other other players who will take on the role of Conan and other adventurers drawn from Howard's classic stories. During gameplay, the overlord will direct an army of monsters, much like a pen-and-paper RPG's GM, against the adventurer's as they try to accomplish a set of objectives and stop the adventurers from completing theirs. Monolith plans to sell the core Conan game for $100 at retail and currently expects to release the game sometime in October 2015.

Source: <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/conan>Kickstarter

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
StewShearer said:
Monolith plans to sell the core Conan game for $50 at retail and currently expects to release the game sometime in October 2015.

Source: <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/conan>Kickstarter
According to the Kickstarter, the retail price of the game will be $100, not $50. Scroll down to where it shows the barbarian pledge level information.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
J.McMillen said:
StewShearer said:
Monolith plans to sell the core Conan game for $50 at retail and currently expects to release the game sometime in October 2015.

According to the Kickstarter, the retail price of the game will be $100, not $50. Scroll down to where it shows the barbarian pledge level information.
My mistake. Thank you for pointing this out I'm fixing this immediately.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Bah Conan the barbarian, I want the Cohen the barbarian game. Why settle for second best when you can have

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
albino boo said:
Bah Conan the barbarian, I want the Cohen the barbarian game. Why settle for second best when you can have

Man...I wish they'd make more discworld stuff. Animated or real doesnt matter. Just more.

It'll never compare to the books, but it'd definitely be fun to see it all on the silver screen.

Jan 12, 2012
tzimize said:
albino boo said:
Man...I wish they'd make more discworld stuff. Animated or real doesnt matter. Just more.

It'll never compare to the books, but it'd definitely be fun to see it all on the silver screen.
I imagine there's a crowd of suits lurking around the edges of the Pratchetts' lives, waiting to swoop in to try and grab up the rights as soon as they see an opening.

OT: Well, I have been working on my Thulsa Doom impression...

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
Looks like Hero Quest Reloaded. I always wondered why there haven't been any real Hero Quest or Star Quest sequels. The games are awesome and after more than 25 years, there is still nothing quite like them on the market. I've played Descent once, but it doesn't have the same spirit.

Dingobennyfred

Aug 28, 2013
I have a bare-bones knowledge of the workings of D&D, and even less knowledge of the workings of the table-top genre. However, I know that the DM helps out with forming and animating NPC's. Will this table-top involve world exploration, or even dungeons? Or do you just fight off wave-after-wave of enemy? I can't get into any game without there being some moments of plot. And I do wish to look into purchasing this.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
Dingobennyfred said:
I have a bare-bones knowledge of the workings of D&D, and even less knowledge of the workings of the table-top genre. However, I know that the DM helps out with forming and animating NPC's. Will this table-top involve world exploration, or even dungeons? Or do you just fight off wave-after-wave of enemy? I can't get into any game without there being some moments of plot. And I do wish to look into purchasing this.
The game currently seems to be more about playing out a particular event then a complete roleplaying game. The one I keep seeing from demo videos is Conan and two of his friends going into a village to rescue a princess hidden inside one of the huts. It's somewhere between an RPG and a miniature skirmish game. You pick a scenario, setup the board and mini's, and play. Can be a good way to have fun for an hour or two with friends. Also, there will be guidelines for swapping out mini's for different ones so you can replay scenarios with different heroes, or have the heroes face different foes. And there's certainly nothing stopping someone from creating their own scenarios, or even make a mini campaign.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Kind of like Star Wars: Imperial Assault, a game I have been really lucky to play recently. I like it, this may be added to my collection if I get the chance :D