Concept: A medieval call of duty?

Hisshiss

Aug 10, 2010
God yes, the consistency and awesome reward system of call of duty, mixed with the variety and base appeal of guys in armor and leather mauling the piss out of each other with a charming array of old school fuck em up devices, pre-order.

Khada

Night Angel
Jan 8, 2009
ide love to see something like this done well. just make sure they remember to put team work into the game.. they always seem to forget that in the COD games...

Faky

Oct 15, 2009
Go play Mount&Blade:Warband. Kickass game, but it is hard to master and that will turn away some (n00bs).

Whats best about the game - no perks, no levels, no K/D ratio. Just pure game.

VelvetHorror

Oct 22, 2010
banksy122 said:
I like people who want a game that already exist, or something in a game that already is in a game. Please do your research. The game is called Age of Chivalry and it is a source mod, hence it is free. Get steam. Download it. Play it. Enjoy it, it is an awesome game, buggy, but very good.
Alright, I'll admit that I haven't heard of Age of Chivalry when I spent quite some time looking for a first person slasher. I should have looked deeper to try to find any similar games.

Age of Chivalry does seem to be a lot like what I was envisioning for a game, except for key things. It seems that in age of chivalry, there isn't a campaign mode to give the game a plot and players experience using the weapons prior to battling in multiplayer. It also doesn't have console support, limiting the demographic to PC gamers.

The big thing that is different in my opinion is customization. After looking it up a bit, you have to choose from a set of premade classes. These classes don't let you alter the type of weapon you use and what kind of armor you wear. What if I want to run around with light or no armor and only armed with a sling to capture flags or be able to pelt rocks at the enemy from a distance and be able to retreat quickly?

As a final note, how many FPS's are out there that you can think of? Off the top of my head, I can name Counter-Strike, Halo(All of them but Wars), Medal of Honor, Battlefield Bad Company, Call of Duty, Team Fortress, Combat Arms, and many more. They all share similar similar characteristics(Especially Medal of Honor and Call of Duty) and yet they were all still made. By your suggestion that I should just play Age of Chivalry since it's the same kind of feel that I'm looking for, it'd be like saying to Activision "I like people who want a game that already exists. It's called Goldeneye.".

P.S. I'm not dissing you Goldeneye. You were one of my favorite childhood games.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Hasn't worked out too well before [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legends_of_Might_and_Magic]. Blending the FPS template with medieval settings is generally hard to pull off, though it doesn't always turn out too awful [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Messiah_of_Might_and_Magic].

Tarranium

May 18, 2010
I can easily picture Call Of Duty Medieval Warfare as a game it would also easily defeat MW2

Nexoram

Aug 6, 2010
VelvetHorror said:
Imagine a call of duty that takes place even before the invention of rifles, explosives, and air support. A Call of Duty: Medieval Warfare, if you will. In such a game, weapons would consist of mostly melee weapons, including shields, swords, morning stars, etc. It would also feature long range weapons like bows, slings, and a long reloading crossbow.

What are your thoughts of this kind of game? Would you buy and play this for the normal price of a video game nowadays?

What are your ideas for features like weapons, perks, attachments, and killstreaks?
OMG! I have had the same idea excpet it had the name Call of Duty: Ancient Warfare. If Activision decides to fund it (which has an infinitely small chance) it would be more of a spin off than an actual game in the series. If there was a beta and i was in it AND i had a good impresssion. I might buy it.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
It would turn out like a multiplayer Oblivion (i.e. shit). Melee and swords and stuff tend to have a different appeal and fanbase than guns and explosions. There is some overlap, but I can't imagine most machine gunners and noob tubers getting the same thrill out of bows, swords and swashbulkelry. I know I wouldn't.

That isn't to say the idea of sword fighting isn't fun, but it is a different kind of fun. Probably not my kind.

Sampsa

May 8, 2008
Faky said:
Go play Mount&Blade:Warband. Kickass game, but it is hard to master and that will turn away some (n00bs).

Whats best about the game - no perks, no levels, no K/D ratio. Just pure game.
He beat me to it.

StrangerQ

Oct 14, 2009
well there is this HL2 mod called Pirates, Vikings and Knights ... kinds good for this ... well except pirates who got gunpowder... but i suggest to look it up

Steam Colossus

Aug 17, 2010
I think you're talking about a multiplayer oblivion here. If you take the streamlined easy to pick up class creation of cod and take the melee combat of oblivion you really could have something. If you haven't played oblivion it's a great game with some glitches and I believe it is available on steam and the XBOX live marketplace.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Deshara said:
No, cause the moment you get close enough to engage in a sword fight, they're just gonna insta-kill knife you.
Take out the retarded insta-kill knife and have actually melee-ing?

Anyway, and yeah i'd like this, usually when im playing split screen black ops with friends over, we all equip crossbows and tomahawks, and just go for all melee. Makes for a much funner game.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
VelvetHorror said:
Tdc2182 said:
It would be like if Halo became an RTS...
Actually, no, no it wouldn't. The game would still be a first person game where you run around controlling only one person.
starhaven said:
Tdc2182 said:
No...

It would be like if Halo became an RTS...

so you mean when it did become a RTS called halo wars
I think he was joking....

Anyway.
The game could work, but if it shouldn't be called Call of Duty, as the games in the series are all pretty similar. Even though, say, Bl'Ops and MW2 have no characters or anything in common, if you watched both being played online, you could easily tell they were from the same series, even if you'd never played CoD before. The whole dynamics would be very different.

The other thing is how to balance weapons and combat. I mean, you could incorporate a system like Oblivion has, where you can raise your shield and attack etc., otherwise you know everyone will just do a hit n run technique.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
*Pictures hour-long battles where players just bash each other's heavy armor without doing any real damage.*

I would love it.

banksy122

Nov 12, 2009
VelvetHorror said:
banksy122 said:
I like people who want a game that already exist, or something in a game that already is in a game. Please do your research. The game is called Age of Chivalry and it is a source mod, hence it is free. Get steam. Download it. Play it. Enjoy it, it is an awesome game, buggy, but very good.
Alright, I'll admit that I haven't heard of Age of Chivalry when I spent quite some time looking for a first person slasher. I should have looked deeper to try to find any similar games.

Age of Chivalry does seem to be a lot like what I was envisioning for a game, except for key things. It seems that in age of chivalry, there isn't a campaign mode to give the game a plot and players experience using the weapons prior to battling in multiplayer. It also doesn't have console support, limiting the demographic to PC gamers.

The big thing that is different in my opinion is customization. After looking it up a bit, you have to choose from a set of premade classes. These classes don't let you alter the type of weapon you use and what kind of armor you wear. What if I want to run around with light or no armor and only armed with a sling to capture flags or be able to pelt rocks at the enemy from a distance and be able to retreat quickly?

As a final note, how many FPS's are out there that you can think of? Off the top of my head, I can name Counter-Strike, Halo(All of them but Wars), Medal of Honor, Battlefield Bad Company, Call of Duty, Team Fortress, Combat Arms, and many more. They all share similar similar characteristics(Especially Medal of Honor and Call of Duty) and yet they were all still made. By your suggestion that I should just play Age of Chivalry since it's the same kind of feel that I'm looking for, it'd be like saying to Activision "I like people who want a game that already exists. It's called Goldeneye.".

P.S. I'm not dissing you Goldeneye. You were one of my favorite childhood games.
Um, well yeah, pretty much. What you are looking for will have to be a multi-million dollar game developed by a AAA studio, and I can tell you now it will never happen. Sometimes you do have to settle for less. Also the fact that you want it on Console makes it even less likely to happen. Age of Chivalry is the closest you will get. No offense, but stop acting like a spoiled kid who didn't get exactly what he wanted.

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
VelvetHorror said:
blue_guy said:
Sounds nothing like Call of Duty.

However, I would like to see more Medieval (preferably without Magic) games being made. Especially ones that aren't RTS/RPG. Basically something like Mount and Blade's multiplayer with a bigger budget behind it and more polish.

Anyway, you asked for ideas:

Weapons: Every Medieval weapon ever, even if the time period is wrong or that weapon was super rare IRL.

Perks: Mostly the same system as CoD, you could even reuse some perks like Lightweight or Hardline.

Attachments: You'd have to call them "Upgrades" but they could be things like "Lightened Blade" or "Refined Steel".

Killstreaks: Hard to have air support in a medieval game, most of them should be equipment or powerups. Thought of a few for fun:
3)Poisoned Blade: Next melee attack becomes instant kill.
3)Conviction: Health boosted to x3 for 20 seconds (can be knocked back to normal by damage)
5)Volley: Call in a volley of several dozen arrows in an area.
6)Grenade: Get access to a single bomb.
8)Bombardment: Call in a strike from an off-map catapult.
10)Berserk: Every attack made in the next 30 seconds will deal x4 damage.
12)Block out the Sun: Pincushion an entire section of the map with a black cloud of arrows.
25)Tactical Nuke.
The link you gave is interesting. I'll have to look into some videos of it. And yes, this is a far cry from CoD in terms of the types of weapons, but judging by your suggestions, I think you understand the kind of feel I was suggesting.

Weapons: Maybe not every ancient weapons, but maybe weapons from various parts of Europe, middle east, and maybe parts of asia like India. It could have weapons like katars, realistic battle axes, spears, etc. But yeah, a wide variety of weapons with their own advantages.

Perks: Right, most of the perks could be the same, but maybe changed in name according to the period.

Attachments: Yeah, I could see those as possible attachments for a swordsman based class. For archers, I could see attachments like double arrow shooting and different tips.

Killstreaks: I could definitely see a few of those, like bombardment and block out the sun. As for the Tactical Nuke, maybe it could be the Black Plague where catapults launch infected corpses, or Reinforcements where a massive army sweeps in to finish off the enemy.

It's towards the end

Or

OT: I would definately play this game. Without a doubt.