Concerns Grow Over Possible Videogame Crackdown in U.K.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Concerns Grow Over Possible Videogame Crackdown in U.K.

Concern is growing among members of the U.K. game industry that the upcoming Byron Review [http://www.dfes.gov.uk/pns/DisplayPN.cgi?pn_id=2007_0158], an investigation into the risks to children posed by videogames and the internet, could be used to justify a "crackdown" on violent videogames.

A leak to the MCV [http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/], the concern stems in large part from the fact that the industry has embraced the approach of Tanya Brown, author of the review.

"It was pretty much agreed by all parties - publishing, retailers and parents and Government - that there needs to be one rating system for transparency's sake, whether that be the BBFC [http://www.bbfc.co.uk]or something more voluntary," an anonymous source told MCV. "But there's a definite fear that Brown will aggressively present this to the media and public as 'we are fighting the industry for your kids' safety.' Nothing could be further from the truth, and Tanya Byron knows that."

The Byron Review, commissioned in September 2007, is being led by Dr. Tanya Byron, a clinical psychologist best known for her BBC television programs about child behavior. The wide-ranging nature of the review, including open calls for evidence from researchers, the gaming industry and children, has earned widespread industry support for her efforts.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
This isn't a crackdown.

It is a possible (like, these are mere recommendations which do - and probably won't - not have to be followed) implementation of an official classification system to rate games in order to prevent controversy. Basically it takes the blame away from publishers and designers when having the parents of kids shouting 'my videogame is too violent!' because they shouldn't have bought them in the first place. Of course over here it is expected of all the big franchises (Gamestation, GAME, et cetera) to ID check anyone at all buying a 18+ anyway, but these steps will hopefully ensure a less arguable industry.

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
This is just Gordon Brown spreading Moral Panic to obscure the fact that as Chancellor and then as Prime Minister he's been running the country into the sh*tter. Look at another recent move: reclassification of cannabis back to class B, despite the number of users dropping over the period when it was less strictly controlled and the messages from scientists and police chiefs nationwide that the current system of treating drug use as a criminal problem, as opposed to a medical one, is not helping one jot.

Lightbulb

Oct 28, 2007
Benny Blanco said:
This is just Gordon Brown spreading Moral Panic to obscure the fact that as Chancellor and then as Prime Minister he's been running the country into the sh*tter.
Well firstly its a newspaper writing it not Gordon Brown, and secondly if you are going to write shitter just write shitter for goodness sake...

Brian Name

Feb 1, 2008
If there's one thing more likely to make me violent than violent video games, it would be a "crackdown" on violent video games.

Drong

Oct 31, 2007
Ok that's it, I?ve had enough now, this is the log that broke the camels back. Anyone outside of the UK willing to give a home too a slightly cynical though handsome and charming old gamer (well 26 anyway), I want out of this country like now! I?m willing to go for adoption but only if your mums hot (or sister providing she is of legal age etc, etc).

(Apologies for that post but it is friday and i have nearly been drinking, at least i will in 5 mins when it's lunch and we can finally go to the pub)

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Don't worry when they find no proof that videogames cause "evilness" in children then they wont be able to crackdown on anything. And if they do find proof then someone will turn it into a videogame. You know to piss people off.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
Drong said:
Ok that's it, I?ve had enough now, this is the log that broke the camels back. Anyone outside of the UK willing to give a home too a slightly cynical though handsome and charming old gamer (well 26 anyway), I want out of this country like now! I?m willing to go for adoption but only if your mums hot (or sister providing she is of legal age etc, etc).

(Apologies for that post but it is friday and i have nearly been drinking, at least i will in 5 mins when it's lunch and we can finally go to the pub)
Come to Australia - you could be the next Yahtzee!

Limasol

Feb 8, 2008
How come millions of people play gears of war but only one incident ever makes the news, i will tell you why, because media stays interested in things for about 10 seconds and then moves on. Their obsession with bandwagons is infuriating, when I'm PM i will be cracking down on things that are worth the effort like chavs and people who write that video games are bad for mental health.