Confessions of a Japanophile

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Naheal said:
crepesack said:
I sometimes find it odd that of all the east Asian countries, South Korea and Japan are the two most admired by the youth. My culture, Chinese, just seems so mundane.
I honestly wish that I knew more about Chinese culture, but I have almost nothing to go on with it. Japan, on the other hand, is a fairly easy Asian culture to get into if you're wanting to get down into that area.
The thing about chinese culture is...most of us don't practice or get involved with it outside of celebrating a few holidays. Our mythology is actually pretty similar to Japanese mythology: Mythical foxes, tengus(although ours are actual dogs), strange spirits. It's just not as emphasized in chinese culture. We simply just don't talk about it, largely due to the communist regime and the elimination of deep seated culture. We must remember that Japan was very isolationist in much of its history and also due to mangakas like shigeru mizuki, mythology in Japan has become just as much a part of pop culture as it is with religion like shintoism.

Nocturnal Gentleman said:
crepesack said:
Snip
Most of the time, american born chinese aren't even that interested in their own culture OR pop culture. I don't know why though. I honestly have never been interested in chinese pop culture, but I have in mythology. Oh and as to why chinese people don't talk about chinese movies is because...there are none. Seriously. Our movies are crap and the best ones are all about ancient chinese times. In fact that's what most of our dramas are about: the emperor and his court and his affairs.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
crepesack said:
Naheal said:
crepesack said:
I sometimes find it odd that of all the east Asian countries, South Korea and Japan are the two most admired by the youth. My culture, Chinese, just seems so mundane.
I honestly wish that I knew more about Chinese culture, but I have almost nothing to go on with it. Japan, on the other hand, is a fairly easy Asian culture to get into if you're wanting to get down into that area.
The thing about chinese culture is...most of us don't practice or get involved with it outside of celebrating a few holidays. Our mythology is actually pretty similar to Japanese mythology: Mythical foxes, tengus(although ours are actual dogs), strange spirits. It's just not as emphasized in chinese culture. We simply just don't talk about it, largely due to the communist regime and the elimination of deep seated culture. We must remember that Japan was very isolationist in much of its history and also due to mangakas like shigeru mizuki, mythology in Japan has become just as much a part of pop culture as it is with religion like shintoism.
I think that mostly just has to do with the strength of Japanese culture. That said, I know almost nothing about Japanese history, yet I've learned quite a bit of Chinese history up through the Han dynasty. Also, bear in mind that games like Dynasty Warriors is loosely (I stress loosely) based upon another era of Chinese history. That and one of the most iconic war document was written by your own history.

With all of that, once Japan stepped out of it's isolationist mindset, the world just became saturated with their culture, much in the same way that a slightly damp sponge absorbs water. This will eventually subside.

Also, bear in mind that, compared to Japanese, Cantonese and Mandarin are generally considered to be MUCH more difficult to learn, thus the general eye is turned towards Japan rather than China. That said, as a linguist, I'm learning Japanese at the moment as a stepping stone towards other Asian languages.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
Naheal said:
MikailCaboose said:
Naheal said:
MikailCaboose said:
Naheal said:
I'm actually the complete opposite of you when it comes to their language. The fact that their language is rooted in a completely syllabic manner and has a relatively speaking simple grammatical structure, it's easy to learn the basics of Japanese. At least until you get into kanji. Even then, if you're learning kanji with your vocab (you should. If you're not, you're an idiot) it should come relatively naturally.
My problem with the Kanji is the multiple different pronunciations. I mean, does the word for "one" really have to 2+ pronunciations depending on its use?
Break down English vocab to it's roots and you'll realize that we do nearly the same thing.
I know that we do the same thing, but it's a matter that I've learned English for as long as I've been speaking. I just don't think of it that way, so for some reason it's giving me a little trouble. Then again, I just got the Kanji book yesterday, so I only have a few hours working with 人,一,二、三, 四、 and 五(holy crud there's a bunch that are "shi" and "go", talk about a list!) only。
Not much at all. Plus, I'm a little confused with the breakdown they have with the pronunciation. But I'll get it eventually.
Learn Hiragana first if you haven't already.

It's much easier to start learning words like ひと、いち、に、さん、よん、ろく without having to learn the kanji. Note: よん is going to be the same thing as し when learning 4. Same think with なな and しち. Further, get used to not dealing with spaces in between your works and looking for the particles within a sentence to determine what is what (ex: は(pronounced わ) for the subject, に for to (like a destination) or at what time, で for at (like the location of an event), を and が (use dependent) for an object marker). For example (using kanji, detailing what it is that I'm studying and what year I am):

僕は大学の三年生です。数学と言語学を勉強します。

Note that this is technically the "polite" version (if I recall correctly) of these sentences.
Ah, well I've already memorized all the Hiragana, so now I'm working on working on the Katakana, Kanji and the grammar in little bits. Unfortunately, the grammar text I have uses Romaji instead of the Hiragana and Kanji, but I'll work on it with my Kanji book. Plus, I never realized how simple (well, as they can get) some of the complex Kanji is. The Katakana shouldn't take long though. But thanks for the notes with は、に、で、を and が.
Oh, and I've also seen ?を? simply as "o", so is the consonant sound just not really that pronounced?

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
MikailCaboose said:
Naheal said:
MikailCaboose said:
Naheal said:
MikailCaboose said:
Naheal said:
I'm actually the complete opposite of you when it comes to their language. The fact that their language is rooted in a completely syllabic manner and has a relatively speaking simple grammatical structure, it's easy to learn the basics of Japanese. At least until you get into kanji. Even then, if you're learning kanji with your vocab (you should. If you're not, you're an idiot) it should come relatively naturally.
My problem with the Kanji is the multiple different pronunciations. I mean, does the word for "one" really have to 2+ pronunciations depending on its use?
Break down English vocab to it's roots and you'll realize that we do nearly the same thing.
I know that we do the same thing, but it's a matter that I've learned English for as long as I've been speaking. I just don't think of it that way, so for some reason it's giving me a little trouble. Then again, I just got the Kanji book yesterday, so I only have a few hours working with 人,一,二、三, 四、 and 五(holy crud there's a bunch that are "shi" and "go", talk about a list!) only。
Not much at all. Plus, I'm a little confused with the breakdown they have with the pronunciation. But I'll get it eventually.

It's much easier to start learning words like ひと、いち、に、さん、よん、ろく without having to learn the kanji. Note: よん is going to be the same thing as し when learning 4. Same think with なな and しち. Further, get used to not dealing with spaces in between your works and looking for the particles within a sentence to determine what is what (ex: は(pronounced わ) for the subject, に for to (like a destination) or at what time, で for at (like the location of an event), を and が (use dependent) for an object marker). For example (using kanji, detailing what it is that I'm studying and what year I am):

僕は大学の三年生です。数学と言語学を勉強します。

Note that this is technically the "polite" version (if I recall correctly) of these sentences.
Ah, well I've already memorized all the Hiragana, so now I'm working on working on the Katakana, Kanji and the grammar in little bits. The Katakana shouldn't take long though. But thanks.
A warning: Katakana will turn your spelling to shit while you're learning it.

crepesack

May 20, 2008
Naheal said:
crepesack said:
Naheal said:
crepesack said:
I think that mostly just has to do with the strength of Japanese culture. That said, I know almost nothing about Japanese history, yet I've learned quite a bit of Chinese history up through the Han dynasty. Also, bear in mind that games like Dynasty Warriors is loosely (I stress loosely) based upon another era of Chinese history. That and one of the most iconic war document was written by your own history.

With all of that, once Japan stepped out of it's isolationist mindset, the world just became saturated with their culture, much in the same way that a slightly damp sponge absorbs water. This will eventually subside.

Also, bear in mind that, compared to Japanese, Cantonese and Mandarin are generally considered to be MUCH more difficult to learn, thus the general eye is turned towards Japan rather than China. That said, as a linguist, I'm learning Japanese at the moment as a stepping stone towards other Asian languages.
Ah yah, Cantonese is REALLY hard to learn. There are I think 27? (may need fact checking) cantonese tones. My father speaks cantonese in addition to mandarin and my mother speaks mandarin and Taiwanese (similar to fujianese). But I honestly believe to have conversational fluency Chinese would require less effort. However, getting to an academic level of vocabulary is miles more difficult in Chinese than in Japanese(trying to learn myself actually). I attribute it to the japanese use of a phonetics in their language in addition to characters.

Hmm, I'm trying to remember when this Japan craze started happening. I know Japan was pretty prevalent in American and China pre 2000s as I was raised on chinese translated Doraemon and other Anime.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
crepesack said:
Naheal said:
crepesack said:
Naheal said:
crepesack said:

Ah yah, Cantonese is REALLY hard to learn. There are I think 27? (may need fact checking) cantonese tones. My father speaks cantonese in addition to mandarin and my mother speaks mandarin and Taiwanese (similar to fujianese). But I honestly believe to have conversational fluency Chinese would require less effort. However, getting to an academic level of vocabulary is miles more difficult in Chinese than in Japanese(trying to learn myself actually). I attribute it to the japanese use of a phonetics in their language in addition to characters.
Well, there's the phonetic nature of their written language and the particulate nature of the grammar. In comparison to English, Japanese sentence structure is actually incredibly simple. The only real things that native English speakers tend to have problems with is attempting to end every sentence with "です" or ?か? and long vowels and long consonants. There's only a few actual sounds that English speakers tend to actually have large amounts of problems, and that's just their "r" line (ら、り、る、れ、ろ) and forgetting that their "r" is not pronounced like an English "r".

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
Naheal said:
MikailCaboose said:
Naheal said:
MikailCaboose said:
Naheal said:
MikailCaboose said:
Naheal said:

僕は大学の三年生です。数学と言語学を勉強します。

Ah, well I've already memorized all the Hiragana, so now I'm working on working on the Katakana, Kanji and the grammar in little bits. The Katakana shouldn't take long though. But thanks.
Haha, it will? Well, I've got to learn it anyways, but I'm not too sure whether or not I should hold it off until I have a firmer grasp of the grammar and Kanji or not.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
MikailCaboose said:
Naheal said:
MikailCaboose said:
Naheal said:
MikailCaboose said:
Naheal said:
MikailCaboose said:
Naheal said:

僕は大学の三年生です。数学と言語学を勉強します。

Haha, it will? Well, I've got to learn it anyways, but I'm not too sure whether or not I should hold it off until I have a firmer grasp of the grammar and Kanji or not.
Well, Katakana is phonetically based and used exclusively for foreign words. You'll either laugh hysterically while you spell your own name (If I were to spell my username in katakana, it'd be ネイヒル, romantizied into Neihiru. I'm not even joking) or you'll start to keep the katakana spelling for some words.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
- I hate the repetition of the safety messages on buses, trains etc.
- I hate they way they will never directly say what they want to do. (Japan is full of hard workers but lacks leaders).
- I love their attitude toward life.
- I like a lot of the food.
- I HATE them for whaling.
- I love their Suntory whisky.
- I love Miyazaki and Kurosawa.
- I like the way they photograph puppies.
- I love their cities.
- I don't love how much they change when they're drunk.
- I like Haikus.
- I like Noh.
- I don't love Kabuki.
- I hate their degradation of women.
- I love their video games.
- I love Sumo and Kendo.

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
I'm interested in anime, manga and games of course. What first sparked my interest though was samurai. I've always been a big fan of honor bound warriors such as them and western knights.

I'm not a big fan of the anti-foreigner sentiments I've heard that some Japanese people have. Though I've never been to Japan so I won't claim to be an expert on that one.

willard3

Aug 19, 2008
I like the occasional anime, but definitely only watch ones that are either highly recommended or have premises that interest me. (I've only ever seen the complete series of Full Metal Panic, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, and Azumanga Daioh.)

That's...about it. They are far too creepy and flamboyant for me, and there's also all those little things I like to call "war crimes."

My bad experiences come from a weeaboo at college. She unabashedly defended Japan's culture from all attacks, even if she had to stretch really far. ("they just outlawed child porn!" "...just?") She always went to a sushi restaurant every year for her birthday...despite it being more than an hour away and she DIDN'T EVEN REALLY LIKE SUSHI but wanted it because it was Japanese...same with sake. Finally, she insists that the war crimes committed during WWII were spun way out of proportion or didn't happen at all (depending on how well informed you were), and that Chinese people/culture is "fake Japanese." Her words.

Luftwaffles

Apr 24, 2010
willard3 said:
I like the occasional anime, but definitely only watch ones that are either highly recommended or have premises that interest me. (I've only ever seen the complete series of Full Metal Panic, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, and Azumanga Daioh.)

That's...about it. They are far too creepy and flamboyant for me, and there's also all those little things I like to call "war crimes."

My bad experiences come from a weeaboo at college. She unabashedly defended Japan's culture from all attacks, even if she had to stretch really far. ("they just outlawed child porn!" "...just?") She always went to a sushi restaurant every year for her birthday...despite it being more than an hour away and she DIDN'T EVEN REALLY LIKE SUSHI but wanted it because it was Japanese...same with sake. Finally, she insists that the war crimes committed during WWII were spun way out of proportion or didn't happen at all (depending on how well informed you were), and that Chinese people/culture is "fake Japanese." Her words.
If i met someone like her i would smack her silly. No war crimes my ass...... Born and raised in south east asia i am and good god do i hate the japs for what they did there during ww2.

But i do like salmon sushi. Thats about it really...

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
crepesack said:
NeutralDrow said:
crepesack said:
Really? I like manga more than anime (sometimes)
Same. Easier to pick up and collect, more transportable, and often better-written and paced...assuming it was the initial version, of course. Manga adaptations of anime or light novels don't always fare as well, and the only work I've seen that is equally spectacular in all three forms is Spice and Wolf.

It also has come to my attention that japanese light novels all follow the same general format/story telling structure. I'm not sure if it's a cultural thing or something to do with translation from japanese to english or chinese.
I admit, my exposure to Japanese light novels is fairly still limited, but even with my limited comparison of the Slayers, Spice and Wolf, Haruhi Suzumiya, Kara no Kyoukai, and Fate/Zero novels...that sounds like BS.

Unless it's just another way of saying it's a medium with its own formulaic leanings, which I can totally buy (I just have to glance at a grocery store or airport paperback rack to see that).
The ones I have read all begin with:

1. Brief description of self and setting.
2. A retrospective overview of the story to be told

And the story is generally told in first person and with an almost removed tone. I'm not sure if that's always the case but the ones I have read are all like this. I think the issue is from the translation now that I think about it. Sometimes it's hard to transfer emotion between languages.
Hmm...none of mine seem to have retrospective overviews or descriptions of any sort ('cept maybe Spice and Wolf, but even then, most of the setting is woven into the narrative), and only the Slayers and Haruhi novels are told in first-person. Possibly with a "removed" tone, depending on whether you include possibly-unreliable narrators whose personalities shine through.

Hmm, I'm trying to remember when this Japan craze started happening. I know Japan was pretty prevalent in American and China pre 2000s as I was raised on chinese translated Doraemon and other Anime.
Probably around the late 1970s, when Japan's economic success was becoming more widely known (ironically, that time period was when the economy started showing weakness, not least because the US and Europe were finally picking up their own slack). The 1980s and 90s were a larger period, despite Japan's economic woes, partly because of popular culture export and partly due to conspicuous economic consumption.

For comparison, China's remained relatively closed-off in every sense except the economy, and was (and still is, in some ways) seen as either a threat or a repressive regime, regardless of their own economic growth.

kannibus

Sep 21, 2009
Hmm, when I was young and single I loved the noises that Japanese girls made when I went down on them... heh, didn't even need to have tentacles...

Um, as for the not like, uh, oh yes, trying to find any clothes that fit a six foot guy with a broad set of shoulders is like trying to remove a rusty nail with your teeth.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
kannibus said:
Hmm, when I was young and single I loved the noises that Japanese girls made when I went down on them... heh, didn't even need to have tentacles...
Took me a really long time to get used to that. It's still weird listening to sounds you know objectively are orgasmic, when your subconscious is telling you something entirely different... >_<

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Marik2 said:
Well Im attracted to women cosplaying as characters from anime like this.

So yeah thats what I like about Japan and also some of their music.
I really hope that is a woman. I'm gonna cry if it isn't.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Kevlar Eater said:
Marik2 said:
Well Im attracted to women cosplaying as characters from anime like this.

Dammit why did you have to ruin it?

Now that I look at it again it could be a guy...

I seriously doubt it though

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Kevlar Eater said:
You're not fated to cry this day.

Seriously, they're not all Jun Watarase. I would use Bridget, but his feminine appearance is exaggerated by fanart.