Congressman Plays League of Legends, Backs Riot Games' SOPA Opposition

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Yvl9921 said:
It's usually proper in political journalism to add his affiliation and state to his name, in the future. I have no idea who he is, if I can support him, or anything like that without that information.
Two words: Google search

But in case you don't feel like it: Democrat and Colorado

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
OniaPL said:
Haha, it's funny how a politician can easily manipulate a group of people and score points with them just by admitting that he likes something or does something similar as them.
Welcome to politics 101. Enjoy your stay.
Eh, I've been on that course already... It's not that I am surprised, but it still baffles me how easy it is to lead people by the nose.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Comando96 said:
Yey a Congrss man is against SOPA. Great. We have 1 and there are 435 in total.
Don't forget it has to go through the senate too.

Of course, if you really want to keep up on the info for who's opposing and supporting SOPA, there's sopaopera.org to keep track of who's for and against.(As of this writing it's 81 for and 27 against). The filters don't always work with every browser, but it does look like it gets updates to clean it up.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Jared Polis, thank you for being a politician who doesn't disappoint the internet community.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
poiumty said:
Not only is Polis a gamer, but he also earns respect for being the first man elected to serve in the United States House of Representatives as an open homosexual in 2009.
My heart sank when I read this. So many people will use that against him.
Is homophobia really still that big in the US? One would think most first world countries wouldn't have crap like that...

OT: Why are we praising him for playing games? Most(if not all) on this site plays games just as well, yet we don't get any praise for it...

Jinxey

Nov 10, 2008
What does him being openly gay have to do with him being a gamer or opposing SOPA as a congressman?

While it may fit your ideology it just feels like bait to me :|

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Greg Tito said:
He and his partner have an adopted son by the name Caspian Julius - which gives Polis double points for naming his son after a Narnian Prince.
I don't know, kids with stupid names should be saved, and the name registry guys should have a quality-control that allows then to reject daft names that ruin the future of the child!

When I was at school there were 2 girls in my class (primary school) called Hannah, and 2 called Amy (although one was Amye). Perfectly respectable! My cousing is in Primary school now, and there are no Hannahs or Amys in his class, instead there are not 1, but 2 girls called Angel, and one called Princess.... WHAT THE HELL!? /Rant

It's good to see that people are being more open with gaming nowadays, i've seen a lot more commedians positively portreying games, which is good as it must mean that it is becoming more recognised if nationally loved commedians are making people laugh whilst talking about gaming! I am at work, so I cannot post it, but if someone could find a link to a vid of Dara O'Briain talking about his gaming experiences! (I think it was CoD or Halo he was talking about, but I cant remember!)

And yes, that is what I got out of that article! :p

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
This guy is pretty darn awesome. Props to his state for electing him! Which one was it?

Edit: As for why it's so awesome that he plays games, have you seen any *other* Congressmen that play games and back the gaming community? It's weird for the old farts in the government to actually care.

LegoDudeGuy

Young punks, get off my lawn.
Jun 9, 2010
If we were not divided by the wall that is the internet, I would high-five that man, then procede to play a match of LoL with him.

Seriously, that man is awesome (and im Canadian!).

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I hope that he's able to sway others and get some extra backing. It would be a really freaking great step forward. :\

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Rep. Jared Polis you have my Katarina/Akali/Twisted Fate.

Stand strong brother for the internetz!!!111!

First politican to win the gamer and internet vote?

OniaPL said:
Kopikatsu said:
OniaPL said:
Haha, it's funny how a politician can easily manipulate a group of people and score points with them just by admitting that he likes something or does something similar as them.
Welcome to politics 101. Enjoy your stay.
Eh, I've been on that course already... It's not that I am surprised, but it still baffles me how easy it is to lead people by the nose.
Well remember that most people don't look into their people and just vote for whoever seems to be nicest/smartest/whatever. I have a fun habit of researching how my people voted on previous bills before voting.

But I have to say his statement of I play games is not what sold me as much as the and I have experience in online business.

Plus don't question why people work this way; if you see it get into the game and you might win!

I am working on getting into the political field. My internship was loads of fun.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
Neverhoodian said:
If we can just weather out another few decades, Congressmen like Jared Polis will end up being the norm rather than the exception.
The problem is that we can't afford to weather a few more decades, because by then, the "old guard" will have passed legislation to destroy everything we love. They see us as "dangerous", not realizing that they are the single biggest threat to the country.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
I have regained something I thought was forever lost. Hope.

This man can simply walk into Mordor, no problem. He's that awesome.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
DeanoTheGod said:
Greg Tito said:
He and his partner have an adopted son by the name Caspian Julius - which gives Polis double points for naming his son after a Narnian Prince.
-snip-
I see where you're coming from on the name thing, but Caspian? That's really not that bad.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
-Drifter- said:
DeanoTheGod said:
Greg Tito said:
-snip-
I see where you're coming from on the name thing, but Caspian? That's really not that bad.
It could be a lot worse... And if they didn't put the 'from Narnia' bit I would probably not hve noticed the link, and just thought... hmmm... different. I guess I just got a bit carried away!
It's a bit of a silly name though...