Congressman Plays League of Legends, Backs Riot Games' SOPA Opposition

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Whoever this Polis guy is, I hope he will have a successful future.

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
OniaPL said:
Kopikatsu said:
OniaPL said:
Haha, it's funny how a politician can easily manipulate a group of people and score points with them just by admitting that he likes something or does something similar as them.
Welcome to politics 101. Enjoy your stay.
Eh, I've been on that course already... It's not that I am surprised, but it still baffles me how easy it is to lead people by the nose.
It's probably because most people don't care what they do with their nose. They're not led around by it, they detach it and give it to them, saying "here, I'm not using it. do what you want with it. but if you stick it in shit, I'll give it to someone who doesn't."

Kinda funny how politics discusses some of the most important things in the world, yet most people can't do anything to affect it. And if they can't do anything worthwhile, most people just tend to dismiss it.

Averant

Jul 6, 2010
poiumty said:
kebab4you said:
poiumty said:
Not only is Polis a gamer, but he also earns respect for being the first man elected to serve in the United States House of Representatives as an open homosexual in 2009.
My heart sank when I read this. So many people will use that against him.
Is homophobia really still that big in the US? One would think most first world countries wouldn't have crap like that...
I'm not an US resident either, but... rednecks.
Even worse, Redneck Biblethumpers. I live in a (albeit not redneck, nor do we thump bibles. But religious nonetheless) Catholic family, I should know.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
I like this guy from what I've learned about him in the past twenty minutes of multiple internet sources.

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
I haven't heard of this guy before, nor do I play LoL, but props to the first openly gay congressman with an open mind to the gaming community. I hope we get to see more rational people like this in the future, though sadly not likely.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Wow my usual scepticism towards politicians has been completely disarmed. Just how did this guy managed to get elected? A gay, videogame playing, common sense talking, informed congressman, Jared Polis must be the devil incarnate to fox news :D

All we need now is more gamers to run for congress to stop stupid acts like SOPA ever seeing the light of day again.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
That is the coolest politician ever. I hope he runs for president some day because then I'll actually use my right to vote.

Spud of Doom

Feb 24, 2011
Sweeeeeet. inb4reelection.

It's awesome to see somebody from government turn up in a gaming forum like that. I think many representatives would benefit from being more open about their hobbies. It's a good touchstone for the electorate too.

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
OniaPL said:
Haha, it's funny how a politician can easily manipulate a group of people and score points with them just by admitting that he likes something or does something similar as them.
You know, that's the point of Representatives. They're supposed to be someone you can easily relate to and shares your opinions. That's not manipulation, it's how the system is supposed to work.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
In my opinion the good thing about this guy is not that he represents awesomeness but rather he represents diversity. Not just in his sexual preference, but by being in his mid-late 30's and having an IT background. This whole SOPA debacle is about what you would expect from a congress full of 60-70 year old lawyers and business men

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
Granted I don't know anything about this guy besides what I've read here, but he sounds like the politician we need more of. I wish my state could elect some fresh perspective into Congress instead of that geezer John McCain.

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
This may be one of the first times I've seen a congressman who actually knows something about this bill and what it will actually do the internet and gaming community.
But at least we're seeing more opposition to this crazy bill.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
That's great. Polis sounds like someone who'd have my support.

However, while it's still "congressman" (singular), I can't quite start throwing confetti.

Shidira

May 2, 2010
This is really cool. I'd have never seen this coming, so props to him for being outside of the norm on just about everything.