Conquer the Entire Galaxy In Star Wars: Rebellion Board Game

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Conquer the Entire Galaxy In Star Wars: Rebellion Board Game

Fantasy Flight Games' Star Wars: Rebellion will let two to four players conquer the galaxy from a single tabletop.

Fantasy Flight Games is rapidly approaching the point where I'd like to rename them "Star Wars Games". Seriously, this publisher's Star Wars line-up covers card games, two <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/tabletop/reviews/13750-Star-Wars-Armada-Review-Star-Destroyers-vs-X-Wings-In-A-Miniatur#&gid=gallery_4005&pid=1>miniature games, and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139787-Fantasy-Flights-Releasing-Core-Rules-for-Star-Wars-Force-and-Destiny-in-Q3-2015>three interlocking tabletop RPGs. Thankfully, these are all critically-acclaimed, high-quality titles - so when Fantasy Flight announces yet another Star Wars product, players take notice. Today that announcement is for Star Wars: Rebellion, a board game where armies wage war across the entire galaxy.

"This is the Star Wars game I have always wanted to play, but couldn't because it didn't exist until now," Board Game Manager Steve Kimball said. "It has been a privilege developing this game alongside Game Designer Corey Konieczka. Rebellion's brand new, asymmetrical system offers deeply thematic gameplay, and we are excited to have players experience its rich, emergent narrative."

Star Wars: Rebellion is an attempt to blend the epic scale of galactic warfare with the personal heroism of individual units. Two to four players control the Rebel Alliance and Galactic Empire, moving armies across star systems and adding planets to your cause. But your forces are also led by iconic Star Wars characters - Princess Leia, Mon Mothma, Grand Moff Tarkin, and Emperor Palpatine each lend their unique talents to the war effort. These characters can also initiate secret missions inspired by the original trilogy. For example, Luke Skywalker can be sent to Dagobah for Jedi training, or Darth Vader could spring a trap which freezes Han Solo in carbonite.

That's great, but the tactical game board is what really interests me. Each side assigns units to planets they control, ranging from infantry, to Walkers, to starships, to the massive Death Star itself. (Both the original and Return of the Jedi editions are included.) Battles begin whenever two forces meet on the same planet, with more powerful units having a better chance of victory than weaker units. But don't be fooled - even individual soldiers have a slim chance to defeat powerful opponents, just like Luke Skywalker making a one-in-a-million shot on the Death Star's exhaust port.

[gallery=4981]

Overall, this looks like an expanded and refined version of Star Wars: Battlefront's Galactic Conquest mode as a board game. If that appeals to you in any way, Star Wars: Rebellion will be worth checking out. The completed game is due to launch in Q1 2016.

Source: Fantasy Flight Games

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
This reminds me of the Star Wars Rebellion Computer Game, only in boardgame format... and I am okay with this.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Demagogue said:
This reminds me of the Star Wars Rebellion Computer Game, only in boardgame format... and I am okay with this.
Heck ya. Loved that game. Was even better than Empire at War IMO. :)

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I want it!I want it!I want it!I want it!I want it!I want it!I want it!

Sorry, I'm usually more composed, but Star Wars + Tabletop always gets me excited, will be keeping an eye out for this one.

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
Ukomba said:
Demagogue said:
Heck ya. Loved that game. Was even better than Empire at War IMO. :)
I agree... Empire at War was a good game, but it just didn't have the scope of Rebellion in my opinion. I really wish they'd make a new version of it with updated graphics and tactical area.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
I'm a little worried about a separate tactical board. If the play there is too simple, it becomes a time waster that could have been replaced with dice or Game of Thrones card combat. To complex, and it kills the momentum for other players at the table by inserting an extra fifteen-thirty minutes of downtime (like the old Titan game). Both results mess with the pacing of the game's focus - larger scale strategy and movements.
Galactic Conquest on BF2 was fun, and I remember having split screening with friends, but it was a lengthy experience, since each fight could be won or lost by the players. I'd be glad to see more, but I'm not sure that structure will hold up with added players at a table.
I'm excited for more Star Wars games, but would be moreso if combat was a reuse of Dune/Rex or Game of Thrones resolution.
I'll be interested to see if the expected game time has a huge range (like Titan's 60-240 min) printed on the box, or will try to go for a 1-2 or 3-4hr experience. I can't help but think it'd be cool to have a mini version of Twilight Imperium and go whole hog with everything, throwing in more players, engine building, and shooting for that 5-6hr event.

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
Demagogue said:
Oh man, I'm amazed anyone but me even remembers that game. Played that non-stop when I was a kid. Loved it, and all the excessively detailed information it had on every ship and character and planet from the expanded universe at the time.

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
Gizen said:
Demagogue said:
Oh man, I'm amazed anyone but me even remembers that game. Played that non-stop when I was a kid. Loved it, and all the excessively detailed information it had on every ship and character and planet from the expanded universe at the time.
I picked a new copy of it up from GOG when they did their big StarWars push back in May... it is definitely still installed on my computer and have sunk probably a good 2-300 hours back into it. If you can get past the dated graphics, it still plays very well.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Demagogue said:
....Not Empire At War? No? erm okay...I thought it was the best starwars RTS/x4.