Conservatives Still Backing Tax Breaks for UK Devs Says MP

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Conservatives Still Backing Tax Breaks for UK Devs Says MP

Ed Vaizey, the Conservatives spokesperson for the videogame industry, has confirmed his party's commitment to tax incentives for UK based developers.

Will UK based developers be getting tax breaks from an upcoming government? Ed Vaizey, a vocal supporter of the industry, claims that they will, despite a seeming lack of backing from the rest of his party.

With a general election in the UK only weeks away, if the Conservatives have decided to abandon the idea of tax breaks, we're unlikely to hear about it until after the results are in.

According to Vaizey, however, his party is "emphatically, 100 per cent in support for game tax breaks. No ifs, no buts," despite a proposed "mini-manifesto" outlining the Conservative's policy on the matter, which was scheduled to be released last week, failing to appear.

Vaizey statement was a reply to comments made by his Labour rival Tom Watson, who said that there was disharmony in the Conservative ranks about giving the industry tax breaks. "Things move fast in an election, timings change, it is our policy to introduce game development tax breaks," he said. "We are fully behind game tax breaks. This is my unequivocal statement."

Source: Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/34619/Vaizey-you-have-to-trust-us-on-tax-breaks]

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
If they actually will is something else entirely.

But, it would be nice to see some more encouragement here in the UK for develpment

Spaghetti

Goes Well With Pesto
Sep 2, 2009
Just thought I'd mention that Labour make the same promise in their manifesto and I quote

Labour Party 2010 Manifesto pg. 7-6 said:
Subject to state aid clearance,
we will introduce a tax relief for
the UK video games industry
It's just a shame that neither party are saying where they are getting the money from. At least Labour are saying that they'll do it assuming the money is there...

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
I seriously dont get why all the kids my age are saying Conservative's are all cunts and Lib Dem should be in charge. Every single thing the Conservatives say I agree with, whereas Labour shouldnt be trusted again and Lib Dem would leave our country defenceless. Silly place to put this but more OT: Go Tories!

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
Wait, wait, wait. The Conservatives have a spokesperson for the videogame industry? This is news to me.

But, it's something that will get the "youth vote". It's something that will appeal to their tastes, and it seems like it's being treated in a level headed and mature manner. So it's a day of firsts, really.

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
Interesting policy. Of course I'm not going to vote for the Tories based on what one unsupported person wants to do in their party. Especially being a liberal an' all.

Mojojuxxy

Dec 9, 2009
Torque669 said:
I seriously dont get why all the kids my age are saying Conservative's are all cunts and Lib Dem should be in charge. Every single thing the Conservatives say I agree with, whereas Labour shouldnt be trusted again and Lib Dem would leave our country defenceless. Silly place to put this but more OT: Go Tories!
So you agree that we should be handing out tax breaks to the top 1-3% of earners whilst talking up fairness? Or that we can afford a Tory government that will almost undoubtedly refuse to invest in things like rail, roads and internet infrastructure in any kind of meaningful way? Or that David Cameron actually says things of substance? I've been listening to his interviews for hours, and I have to say I've very rarely heard him say anything of substance, all he does is throw around buzzwords. He's also very likely to cave to the lobbying efforts of people like Rupert Murdoch when it comes to the BBC and Ofcom, which means less competition and less regulation for his huge share of the UK news services. He's also a complete europhobe and has allied himself with some of the most extreme people he possibly can in the EU (homophobes, global warming deniers, etc.)

And the Lib Dems wouldn't leave us defenceless, a nuclear deterrent currently is almost entirely pointless, however they only argue that the like for like replacement of Trident is not feasible. So they're not getting rid of our deterrent, just making sure we can afford it, which means not spending £100 billion over 25 years. I agree Labour shouldn't be trusted again, they're making promises that they've had 13 years of opportunity to carry out, however we can not afford to trust a Tory majority either. The safest bet is a Lib Dem/Tory or Lib Dem/Labour coalition, because at the very least it should mean that next election we have proper electoral reform away from FPTP and hopefully to STV.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I never trust any party who touts "family values" as it normally fucks people such as ourselves right over.

Anyway, if I was allowed to vote I'd be voting Lib Dem. I'd also be setting fire to the BNP HQ but dammit, I'm not allowed to buy lighters!

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Well, thats cool and all, but I'm afraid that aint gona change my mind on who to vote for.

[sub]Go Lib Dems! wooo![/sub]

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Mr.Wiggles said:
LordCuthberton said:
And that's another reason to vote Tory.

DO IT. ALL OF YOU ELIGIBLE
Is that really a good idea???

Have you seen his face?!

If it proves anything it should at least prove that he is working with Satan!
I'm really tempted to do a side-by-side comparison with Bobby Kotick right now... they do seem rather... similar... :p

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Xzi said:
Wow, the definition for "conservative" in the UK and US couldn't be more different.
I know. If the Republicans set up a UK party, it would probably be treated like the BNP (i.e. not touched with a bargepole whenever possible) by the media.

JordanMillward_1

May 19, 2009
I was always going to vote Conservative, but this has reassured me that they'll support my favourite entertainment industry.

And good for you guys saying you'll vote Lib Dem, good to see so many people all wanting Gordon Brown out of Number 10. Let's just hope that us all voting for different sides doesn't leave it open for Labour to win the election with the most seats but come third in the popular vote just because of the way the constituencies are organised.

Vote for Change! Vote Conservative or Lib Dem!