Constantine: More Monsters Than You Can Shake A Stolen Baby At

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Constantine: More Monsters Than You Can Shake A Stolen Baby At

"The Saint of Last Resorts" lets Zed shine while Constantine is away, and finally tells us what the rising darkness is.

Read Full Article

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
The show started really weak, but the last few episodes have been awesome. It's too bad the show was already skipped over for renewal. I hate this crap where networks pick up a show and first 5+ episodes are horrible, and then it doesn't get renewed even though the show picks up a lot of momentum and becomes really good. NBC should never have had this show. We saw the same thing with SHIELD, but they renewed it anyway and it's become really good. It should have been on the same network as Flash and Arrow, if for no other reason than they can exist in the same continuum.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Maybe we'll get lucky and the show will skim by for a season 2. IF not, I hope they at least complete this arc. Even shows that do outright get canned (so far just Constantine's extra episodes were canned, show wasn't outright cancelled) like Selfie are getting the rest of their episodes uploaded to Hulu.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Baresark said:
The show started really weak, but the last few episodes have been awesome. It's too bad the show was already skipped over for renewal. I hate this crap where networks pick up a show and first 5+ episodes are horrible, and then it doesn't get renewed even though the show picks up a lot of momentum and becomes really good. NBC should never have had this show. We saw the same thing with SHIELD, but they renewed it anyway and it's become really good. It should have been on the same network as Flash and Arrow, if for no other reason than they can exist in the same continuum.
Too be fair, Constantine hasn't been cancelled yet, it just didn't get to produce a full season. This was on account of the executives only having four episodes of ratings to look at (one of which was on Halloween, when few people watch TV) instead of the usual seven. Funny thing, after that announcement came out, the next episode had incredible ratings, so that stinks. The show still has the possibility of a full second season, depending on how the remaining episodes of the the initial thirteen perform. Other NBC premiers this season had already been announced as cancelled and didn't get the chance for a "half season," so Constantine still has some nebulous future.

OT: I find myself getting more excited for the trailers of the next episode then I do when I'm actually watching it. I like how the show's taken fairly standard plots and shifted them in a new way (like last week), but I'm getting a SHIELD season 1 vibe of promising the moon each week, but falling just short of delivering. I'm liking this much more than even the end of SHIELD S1, but they need to focus on something, and hopefully actually establishing the whole "rising darkness" gets them there.
They had a recurring "bad guy of the week" they could have used with Damnation Army, with a Season-long villain in Constantine's nemesis Nergal. That would have also allowed some ties back to the origin, with a season finale having Constantine closing the book on Newcastle, and a more direct tease for "the rising darkness" in Season 2 as a demon directly fights him.
It's a safer story thread, stays personnel and relatively clear with limited intrigue, and only the 4 headed monster (with optional Swamp Thing) would have been effect heavy.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So who else saw that final monster thingy that "were all destroyed before the beginning of time" and thought "oh shit! they animated the chicken! It's coming for Constantine!" xD

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
So who else saw that final monster thingy that "were all destroyed before the beginning of time" and thought "oh shit! they animated the chicken! It's coming for Constantine!" xD
ME.

Seriously, what the heck was up with that? I hope it's more fleshed out in part 2.

Craig Rigby

Aug 7, 2012
Fanghawk said:
Happyninja42 said:
ME.

Seriously, what the heck was up with that? I hope it's more fleshed out in part 2.

it looked fleshy enough to me.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
This show pulled so many punches that it got very watered down. It is no better than Buffy while it could have been a smash hit. Is it the writing, the direction, the casting? I don't know, but it certainly does not feel better than a B show.
I based that on 40 years of watching crappy TV. Your mileage may differ from mine.

Are they on hiatus? I have not been able to catch the second part of the vampire baby-snatching witches from hell arc