Constantine: Spirits, And Voodoo, And The Spectre, Oh My

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Constantine: Spirits, And Voodoo, And The Spectre, Oh My

Constantine's "Danse Vaudou" is packed full of twists, teases, and subplots that come together for a surprisingly engaging episode.

Read Full Article

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
I find it interesting that the previous reviews have all pissed and moaned about him not smoking, and now that he does, no mention of it.

I've enjoyed all of this series so far, as well as Gotham, and find it really strange the hugely negative reaction the escapist writers have had for these shows.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I am enjoying the show. It is not what I would call a great Hellblazer adaptation, I don't think it can be done on a non-cable american network, but I can still enjoy the show for what it is.

Little thing tho, I know it has only happened twice but does John have to keep getting knocked out by Papa Midnite?

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
WWmelb said:
I find it interesting that the previous reviews have all pissed and moaned about him not smoking, and now that he does, no mention of it.

I've enjoyed all of this series so far, as well as Gotham, and find it really strange the hugely negative reaction the escapist writers have had for these shows.
I don't actually care whether he smokes or not. I said that comic fans care, and it's a weird contrast with how open he is about taking other drugs. But speaking personally, doesn't bother me at all.

You're right though, this episode broke out the cigarettes with such little fanfare that it didn't click for me until after I'd finished the review. Still, it's a pretty minor point in the episode.

The last two episodes were pretty good, it was the first two that didn't do it for me. (Can't speak for Gotham though, I haven't watched it myself yet.)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
To me, this was the first really good episode. All the other ones have been only "so-so" for me. Maybe it was because Papa Midnight is an interesting character to play off of, but for once it wasn't just John Constantine running the show, which felt better to me. I look forward to more episodes like this one. So far as I'm concerned, you can fire the writers for the previous episodes and keep this guy. He nailed it.

WWmelb said:
I think it's just that him smoking is the so called "natural state of things", so when he is doing what he should be doing, why would they mention it at all. Afterall, it is kind of a big part of the character.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I have to say, that for the little I know, and just watching 3/4 of a chapter on TV, on channel that I didn't even know was transmitting it, I got incredibly hooked on the series, and judging by this review It's probably not going to disappoint me.

WWmelb said:
I gotta say that not seeing him smoke in the one episode I've seen was really really weird, even though my only approach to the character was Reeves' movie. It felt kinda off.

Captcha: Jump over. Well, guess I'm in.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I was impressed by Corrigan's introduction, until I remembered DC likes to take every adaptation as happening in a bubble so, even if the show gets more successful, it is very unlikely we will see the Specter playing with "the big boys" of Hollywood.

Still, it is exciting the turn this past episodes has taken. The notion that we are merely peeking at a much larger world is one of the things I enjoy most of it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
WWmelb said:

He smoked? Honestly I don't even recall that. It's such a minor thing to me. When did he actually smoke on camera? Not just hold a cig in his hand, or something similar, but actually inhale? *tries to remember* Was it during the ritual with Papa Midnight?

*shrugs* Anyway, as nice as it is to hear they decided to have him do that trait, I personally don't care much if he smokes or not. As I've stated in previous threads, there are plenty of terminal illnesses he could get that are related to his life habits, not just smoking. So that story arc about him dying is still totally viable, just use something else to kill him. Hell it can even be another type of cancer.

I enjoyed the episode though, especially the part where Constantine's partner (the guy), was talking with the EMT's in the alley. xD Their reaction was so damn funny.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
This episode seemed a little "off" to me. I did enjoy it. But, having all of the players scattered seemed to break the episode up enough that it seemed like three short stories. They had a good size cast. And I guess having everybody together in one big group may reduce the tension of the standard "I may be il-equipped for the task at hand!" approach.

It looks like NBC is putting Constantine on a "time out" to figure out if they want to make 13 more episodes. I hope they do: http://deadline.com/2014/11/constantine-stop-production-13-episodes-season-1-nbc-1201294518/

There was something weird to me about the New Orleans scenes. They seemed overly colorful and vivid. Perhaps that was a directorial choice. It was almost like they were filmed at 30fps on purpose to make them pop out more. Could be just me though. Still enjoyed it a lot.

Chaz asking questions was some funny stuff.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
WWmelb said:

lol I'm about to start watching because of that. Makes me want to give it a chance.