Continue?9876543210 Review - RAM It Down Your Throat

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011

It's like that old cartoon Reboot, but depressing and full of itself.

Read Full Article

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Well, that's a shame and a disappointment. I quite liked the art style.

On the bright side, Steam's doing another free weekend and Company of Heroes 2 is 66% off, so hey, silver linings!

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
That really is a shame. The core concept there seemed to be full of possibility, but it doesn't seem to have figured out that a light touch is often the best approach to dark subject matter.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
BlindChance said:
That really is a shame. The core concept there seemed to be full of possibility, but it doesn't seem to have figured out that a light touch is often the best approach to dark subject matter.
I don't think that's what Jim is getting at, he's calling it outright pretentious.

That said, I suspect half the problem is that every time someone wants to try and do a game "with meaning" they decide to create some dark, surrealistic, work about mortality, darkness, decay, entropy, how things go wrong, and all of that. None of which would be bad if it wasn't what everyone else was doing as well. For a while it was excusable when video games were brand new for this kind of thing, the first gothic emo kids turned developers to spout their stuff via a video game were on the cutting edge for 15 minutes, and now that the 15 minutes is passed, we're left with a lot of pretentious garbage on the level of someone sounding off behind a mic at a local coffee house, it might be tolerable if it's free (and your there for the coffee anyway) but here with video games it's the same as demanding a cover charge.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a bitter, depressed person at my core... but in general I like to get away from that, and really I'd like to see some artistic games that go in the other direction and strive to be uplifting rather than screaming "nothing matters, mortality cannot be avoided! Even the greatest works of the mightiest among us will be eroded with time...".

That said the basic premise of this game is interesting, the idea of a bit of code trying to survive it's apparent destruction within a computer. You could do a lot of things with that, taking the "Tron" concept in some new directions. Sort of like the old question (mostly in books and stuff) about whether dreams die when you wake up, and what happens if say a dream refuses to die for whatever reason and becomes real, either merging with the person (causing insanity) or manifesting as some kind of entity.

That said, I'll be avoiding it, Jim seems to be in agreement with almost everyone else I've heard say anything at all about it.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
I saw Spoony streaming this game last night. just watching it was confusing, boring, pretentious, and I had no idea what was going on.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:

Read Full Article
So, what happened to this week's Movie Defence Force?

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Aardvaarkman said:
Jimothy Sterling said:

Read Full Article
It is not a weekly show.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I watched Jim play this on youtube and... erm, yeah. I simply can't say this game is for me.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I saw someone play all the way through this on Twitch yesterday night, and I have to say... This review is spot-on. Game has a neat look, a great soundtrack, and a highly intriguing premise. That is about it, everything else is just completely awful.

Also, the game had the most purple prose I have ever seen in a game. It was worse than Dear Esther and made Lovecraft stories seem direct and well-written. Personally, I would say it is on the same level as Amanda McKittrick Ros's works. I know that sounds a bit extreme, but I swear it was.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Afaik the creator made the game after a drug trip where he got lost. I saw a let's play about it and thought "Well, that explains alot".

Didn't look that great though.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Aardvaarkman said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Aardvaarkman said:
It is not a weekly show.
Then why is it listed on the weekly schedule on the front page of The Escapist?
Are you also asking why Experienced Points isn't up every week? Or Critical Intel?

Not wrong for asking, but there is precedence for content not to show up weekly on the 'weekly schedule'.

I've come under the assumption that noon content is the only content guaranteed to consistently appear; they seem to be the main draws. Could be wrong, though.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
Aardvaarkman said:
Then why is it listed on the weekly schedule on the front page of The Escapist?
I don't know. I didn't design the front page of the Escapist.
Being a senior employee of The Escapist, I would have thought you'd have the means to find out. Or at least have some interest in how your own content is being represented, or mis-represented as the case may be.

Note that "weekly" is in bold letters in the schedule's title.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I guess this could be seen as one of the problems of Indie games. While they can be countless amounts of freedom to do what you want, most people see it as a license to make some deep, meaningfull game (whether it is or not is irrelivant)...

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
SirBryghtside said:
I love Greenlight, so useful for giving the customers a meaningful choice in what they can purchase.
can't tell if sarcastic or serious
O.T. It looks like an interesting game seen some gameplay before might pick it up on sale

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
I think the fight going on in the review's Facebook comments section over Jim's use of the word "grandiloquent" to describe a game that would seem to be exactly that is the most hilarious comment war I've ever seen.

Note to William Harvey: "Grandiloquent" is the correct word to use in this context, since Jim was taking issue with the writing in the game. Settle down.

nitrium oxide

Jun 10, 2011
There is a typo: "Lightning demolishes barricades that block the level's exist,", I think that is supposed to be "exits".