"Contrarian" Gamers Suck Says Treyarch

Caravaggio

Nov 12, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Can't we all just get along?
In this situation, it's not really a problem that people aren't getting along, it's that this guy cannot deal with negative feedback. I'm pretty sure that people are allowed to complain about problems, no matter how much the 'higher ups' do not want to hear it. These are the founding blocks of the modern world. It's called the right to protest. I'm pretty sure the news about Egypt is big right now. If people didn't complain about things the way we do, we would end up having serious problems down the road.

Short version: You can't complain about people complaining about problems in a game that has those problems, and if that stopped the game industry would suffer and greatly resemble an Orwellian dictatorship, with the games designers sitting atop their ivory towers feeding the masses another Call of Duty game that's exactly the same as CoD4 every year.

I guess that wasn't much shorter was it?

Spectre4802

Oct 23, 2009
I can see both sides of the argument here:

Absolutely, the bitching from the community is not only grating but hurting the industry.

Then again, it's a good idea to actually listen to the bitching (as painful as it is), find the problem, and fix it.

If I released a game, and I got a bunch of people complaining about a weapon being way too underpowered (I'm looking at you, sniper rifles), I would either look into it and try to fix the problem (and by that I mean I would get the programmers to fix the problem) or explain why we did that sort of thing to the people complaining.

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
Did Treyarch ever stop to think if everyone's complaining they may be doing something wrong?

Racthoh

Feb 9, 2009
I agree with everyone who has said this guy has no right making a comment about innovation and creativity. You just released another realistic first person shooter.

The game has sold a ton of copies, guess what that means? There is a greater chance of receiving negative comments no matter how good the game is. It happens with everything. Someone on eBay with a 99% feedback rating is still going to potentially have hundreds of complaints. Look at the WoW forums, a game with over 10 million subscribers and you'll see a ton of complaints. It just happens. Also I'll make a blanket statement here and say that a good portion of the FPS crowd are jerks. I have friends who play them that typically have a more dickier attitude, another site I visit has a column called "overheard on xbox" and just about every entry is some player (usually a younger gamer) shouting out some insult in some FPS, and in general FPS's thrive because of their multiplayer component. A multiplayer component that is fueled by competition which naturally leads to trash talking. The point I'm making here is that you have a community more prone to negativity so any flaw is going to amplified greatly.

Also the world has always been fairly critical it's just that advances in technology have made it so everyone with an opinion can voice it. My parents complain about a lot of things, my grandparents complain too, but it's not like they had the means of expressing their opinions like this generation does. And quite frankly as a community rep it comes with the territory, either develop a backbone or quit. I've moderated a gaming forum and you know what, sometimes players have valid complaints and we'll leave the thread open for discussion. However if the thread is nothing but nonsense, you close it, disregard the ill-founded nonconstructive claims. If you can't make the distinction then you're pretty terrible at your job, or in this case, maybe your game is actually pretty terrible and you need to pay some more attention.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
I think Olin may be confusing just Treyarch with the entire video game industry. I'm sure Treyarch is seeing a lot of complains, but there's a good chance that's because there's plenty to complain about.

black-magic

May 21, 2009
This is wrong at the face of it.

"We should all stop bitching about the things we buy"

What?! Thats the point of our culture, thats the point of consumerism, you ridicule and boycott the companies that release inferior products! It makes me laugh that one of the biggest purveyors of sub standard games comes out to say this too, after releasing a game so broken we have petitions trying to force them to refund it!

Is that what they're saying? "Please stop ridiculing us, we're just trying to give you an hour of fun before your processor burns out chugging along."?

Bite me Treyarch. Bite me. never again.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Wow, I thought he was going to ***** about gamers like me who think games like that are crap and was ready to whine- er, complain in an arresting and entertaining manner. But it seems to be about gamers who, like me, don't like those games, but unlike me, continue to play them and complain that they don't like the game. I'm forced to agree.

Captcha: Multati 000s). It's gone insane.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Then release a game that works and is not just a shoddy port. I mean for fucks sake 360 settings were left in for the PC port. Put a little more time in your product is what I am asking for.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I guess all I can say is Olin might need a new job because this won't change anytime soon, especially when he's working with a franchise that is as good and a shitty as call of duty.

Scunner

Jan 21, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Why are so many gamers quick to ***** about a game that exists solely to provide pleasure?
I think it's fair to ***** about a game that wasn't playable until 3 days after release, despite having a PC above the system requirements Treyarch said I should, and still has troubles in multiplayer.

iamultraman

Nov 27, 2010
Well this impressed the hell out of me, because someone out there managed to distinguish a game as a piece of creative work.

Honestly if you tell anyone that their work sucks they will never do any better, and just as honest you can't tell someone what to do or they won't ever improve. There's a fine line between asking for a reasonable change and asking for an unfounded change. Telling an artist to do something better is unfounded, yet giving advice in the artist's parameters is reasonable. Telling Treyarch to scrap the whole thing (based on engine, gameplay, or story) is ridiculous, but something constructive would be, I dunno,

"I saw your game relies heavily on historical situations as a background to fully realize your gameplay, but there are many scenarios that you can expand upon that would really bring the flavor out of the game; maybe you could try to make a protagonist from a small nation and the antagonist from a great nation, as to magnify the ideal of heroics or the lack thereof. Have a little joust with the Commanches to bring together combat based on outwitting the environment."

Telling someone to do something innovative is really just piddling in a river. If you want to make them think differently, and make them think more powerfully, you strengthen their assets rather than chastising them for their strong points.

Also that's $150 for an idea, people. My business is making it rain.

deathstrikesquirrel

Apr 15, 2009
Having just read some people on Bioware social call the fact that Shepard hit a hologram with his elbow instead of his hand to get an elevator to move (they were wrong, it was his fist) a huge mistake, among other things, this gave me a righteous laugh.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Trogdor1138 said:
Well the gaming culture has always had a very large amount of negative commenting, but the same goes for every other medium I suppose.

I agree with this guy. I wish people would concentrate more on the great things.
The main problem is developers releasing games and sequels which "borrow" heavily from the predecessor, while for a sequel it's ok you have to at least improve on it. Black Ops is still the same formula since CoD 4 you're just paying full price over and over just because your friends are getting it.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
There's plenty of fans here who continuously whine about half life 3 and talk trash against valve. They'll make it when they're ready do, whining/complaining/BOYCOTTING isn't going to get anything done faster. The developer is going to make what they want and since L4D and TF2 are making tons more cash than ever HL3 will, they're content with making hats and new zombie games.

And there's nothing wrong with that especially when the game comes out after ALL these tweaks an tests to the source engine it's only going to make HL3 all the sweeter.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
While I can agree with him to an extent, some constructive responses need to be taken seriously, like glitches or the terrible spawns blops had.
I dont think Blops was a bad game, it was just boring and samey. IMO IMO IMO.
And 10 pound for 5 maps ? No.

The_Puppy_Prince

Jul 28, 2010
Yes,I agree with him on the merits of people hating a game purely on the fact that it's popular
Hell I was one of those people but you can't speak of creativity if you haven't done much for this industry
Treryarch is creative,just as madworlds kills are creative.not spectacular but creative no doubt
Once I stopped hating for hates sake and played MW2 and Black Ops I enjoyed myself
Sure everything was extremely silly but it was enjoyable,so you can't really say treyarch isn't creative but they arnt new or innovative at all
So screw all the bullshit Treyarch
Make more COD just mix it up gameplay wise and dont expect us to take It seriously

Peter Donaldson

Jan 9, 2011
To people who ***** about realism:Oh yeah cuz COD is TOTALLY realistic. This the negativity this post is about, this is a most petty gripe ever. It's a 30 round clip to make it more balanced. On the realism part, having weapons prototype weapons like G11 that never made it into production is totally realistic. Also grenades that are only lethal within a 10ft range, thats TOTALLY how is in real life. Or how the M14 is semi automatic instead of full auto, It's all about balance and making a good game, not realism.