Contrary to Popular Belief

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
List some common misconceptions here. I would also appreciate it if you sourced your statements.

Sugar does not make children hyperactive.

http://www.uamshealth.com/?id=877&sid=1

http://www.bmj.com/content/337/bmj.a2769

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
Cars almost never explode under usual crash circumstances. Not even the Pinto did.

Water does not necessarily mean soft landing.

Hitting women in the groin does cause pain... and it's usually worse than what men experience.

Bridget in Guilty Gear never really hid his gender; it shouldn't be a surprise that he's a dude.

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
Money CAN buy you love.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trophy_wife

Money CAN buy you happiness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Lear said:
Hitting women in the groin does cause pain... and it's usually worse than what men experience.
Nonsense. Getting hit in the boob hurts more than the groin and I couldn't imagine keeling over in exaggerated agony the way men do from either of those things. Not unless it were a deliberate blow with all of someone's strength, but I still think a man would take that worse than a woman if it were between the legs.
Elect G-Max said:
Gun-control laws produce increases, not decreases, in violent crime.
Violent crime is an issue largely unrelated to acess to weapons. It usually occurs in countries with high poverty rates, social alienation and great discrepancies between the rich and the poor. Unless you are going to adress the underlying problem of inequality, it makes sense to restrict the availability of firearms. While violent crime may not go down, it's harder to shank large numbers of people to death than shoot them, which would at least reduce the number of massacres which seem to be so popular in America.

JeffBergGold

Aug 3, 2012
This is true for both men and women. People don't like to admit it but it's the truth!

<youtube=i0PR0B2C2KY>

Oh, and size matters.

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
As anyone who has ever fired one can attest, most shotguns have an effective range of more than five feet. We wouldn't use them otherwise.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Elect G-Max said:
Like the UK?
Yeah, like the UK.
The statistical facts tell a different story.
What statistics? You provided me with a google search and an unrelated Wikipedia link.
Those massacres account for ~0.0000000000001% of the violent crimes that happen here.
What percentage must they constitute before it begins to strike you as a bad idea to make lethal weapons readily available?
Every time Congress has stuck its nose a little bit further into medicine, it has made things much, much worse. EMTALA, for example, directly led to half of the emergency rooms in the country shutting down for budgetary reasons, thus increasing the burden on the other half.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMTALA
What does that have to do with anything? Yes, there are incredibly stupid ways to implement ultimately good ideas. Free healthcare is good, your government is shit. That doesn't mean you should stop trying to implement progressive policies. It just means you need a more competent government. It's fucking shameful for a country as rich as the USA to have healthcare which is barely on par with some third world countries.

Similarly, the UK has had an explosion of violent crime ever since banning civilian possession of firearms, whereas every state that has legalized concealed carry has seen a drop in violent crime.
I'm not denying there may well be a correlation. However, I believe there are other, more relevant factors you are ignoring.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Lazy said:
As anyone who has ever fired one can attest, most shotguns have an effective range of more than five feet. We wouldn't use them otherwise.
I hate it when games do depict shotguns with shit range.

Also, when people say money cant buy happiness, they are typically not all that worried about money. When you dont have money, than can money buy happiness (or to be specific, piece of mind, which leads to happiness.)

Ranylyn

Nov 5, 2010
WanderingFool said:
Lazy said:
I hate it when games do depict shotguns with shit range.

Also, when people say money cant buy happiness, they are typically not all that worried about money. When you dont have money, than can money buy happiness (or to be specific, piece of mind, which leads to happiness.)
What I really hate is how they're ONLY ever buckshot.

Contrary to popular belief, shotguns have solid ammo as well, often referred to as "slugs." These are actually accurate and still lethal at medium range. Kudos to the old Doom games for actually having these. Goddamn modern gaming and "lolol all that exists in the world is scattershot, hahahahaha."

And as someone who's been struggling with finances for 4 years, I agree on the money part. Having money itself doesn't make me happy, but the peace of mind that comes from it does.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
manic_depressive13 said:
Violent crime is an issue largely unrelated to acess to weapons. It usually occurs in countries with high poverty rates, social alienation and great discrepancies between the rich and the poor. Unless you are going to adress the underlying problem of inequality, it makes sense to restrict the availability of firearms. While violent crime may not go down, it's harder to shank large numbers of people to death than shoot them, which would at least reduce the number of massacres which seem to be so popular in America.
This says to me that you haven't looked into this at all and instead choose to believe that statistic because you personally don't like guns

If you examine two areas with the same socioeconomic status, you will find that almost always, the place with more gun control laws has higher crime rates.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
8-Bit_Jack said:
This says to me that you haven't looked into this at all and instead choose to believe that statistic because you personally don't like guns

If you examine two areas with the same socioeconomic status, you will find that almost always, the place with more gun control laws has higher crime rates.
I'm actually quite fond of guns. If someone would kindly show my some reliable evidence to reinforce the claim you're making I would happily change my mind.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
JeffBergGold said:
This is true for both men and women. People don't like to admit it but it's the truth!

[spoiler/]<youtube=i0PR0B2C2KY>[/spoiler]
I....I don't even....

do you live in anything that resembles the real world?