Convenience Store Sells A Million Dragon Quest Meat Buns

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Convenience Store Sells A Million Dragon Quest Meat Buns

Inspired by the lowly slime and just a touch more edible, these meat-filled pastries have been selling like hotcakes.

That's assuming, of course, that you prefer hotcakes that stare at you approvingly while you bite into their adorable, protein-rich faces.

Commissioned in celebration of the 25th anniversary of the fan-favorite Dragon Quest roleplaying game series, these meat buns are a surprisingly accurate recreation of the slime. If you're unfamiliar with the slime, we congratulate you on your recent graduation from elementary school. Everyone else however, will recognize the cutesypoo lil' guys as the de facto mascot of the Dragon Quest games and the closest thing Japanese roleplaying games have to an ambassador this side of that spiky-haired jerk with the stupid-huge sword.

(Which one? Does it matter?)

Family Mart, the comfortingly-named Japanese convenience store chain that stocks the buns, recently announced that it had shipped one million of the things. Considering their sarcastically delicious appearance, that's a pretty impressive number made all the more impressive when you hear that the store hit that huge figure in only one week. Speaking as the mathematician that I certainly am not, that translates to daily sales of roughly "way, way too many."

Why the apparent confusion over Japan's love for this confection? That picture at top is super-adorable, no? Yes, yes it is. Then you click over to Andriasang.com [http://andriasang.com/comz7k/dq_slime_buns_million/] and notice the filling inside that shining, happy mug. I don't want to describe it as a "meat slurry," but that's only because I'm not actually positive that these meat buns contain anything that was once a living creature.

If, after reading all of this, you suddenly find yourself hankerin' for a bit of ambiguously meaty RPG mascot, you'd better hurry. These buns are a limited edition item, and Family Mart claims that once the current stock has been snapped up by too-trusting Japanese consumers, they'll be gone for good.

Source: Andriasang [http://andriasang.com/comz7k/dq_slime_buns_million/]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'd buy one over the internet, but it'd spoil.

DAMN YOU ADORABLE FOOD PRODUCTS.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
What a...bizarre story.

It looks really, really horrible, too. No amount of love for Dragon Quest could induce me to part with money for that monstrosity when I could just get a plushie (or soft toy or whatever they're called now).

EDIT: Also I clicked on here thinking that it was literally (figuratively?) just one convenience store. Naive, sure, but I was still disappointed.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Several thousand Japanese people have disposable income and no lives. Although the same applies for most of the developed world.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Since I ate those type of bun before (albeit being round and white), that slime bun look tasty that I want to taste it!

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Since I ate those type of bun before (albeit being round and white), that slime bun look tasty that I want to taste it!
Indeed. It looks like a Steamed Pork Bun, I prefer the Chinese BBQ variety myself.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
this story reminds of a cup i have that has a cow in the middle of the cup that stares up at you while you drink from it...

i thought it was only one store that sold it but this is still impressive, mostly because i didn't think dragon quest caught on that well.

Sep 14, 2009
meat filled..pastry?

that sounds absolutely disgusting.

plus that doesn't look that good from the picture in general..

so cool idea, but no thank you.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
crimsongamer said:
this story reminds of a cup i have that has a cow in the middle of the cup that stares up at you while you drink from it...

i thought it was only one store that sold it but this is still impressive, mostly because i didn't think dragon quest caught on that well.
You have no idea how popular it is in Japan. People used to skip school and work to get the latest game. Now they sell it on the weekends.

Yeah its that popular.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Damn it all, I have yet another reason to get to Japan...of course by the time I get there Family Mart will likely have stopped serving Slime-Buns. Oh well, the Pokemon Centers aren't going anywhere at least. Those buns are pretty adorable though.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
similar.squirrel said:
Several thousand Japanese people have disposable income and no lives. Although the same applies for most of the developed world.
170 yen is only about $2. Not all that expensive for a funny novelty to eat once in your life. Except that thing looks nasty and I'm not sure if I could bring myself to eat it. I don't really like Japanese meat buns in general. Chinese BBQ pork buns are far superior.

Now, a Slime jello cup? I'd be down for that.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
gmaverick019 said:
meat filled..pastry?

that sounds absolutely disgusting.
What some meat filled pastries may look like:

I mean, really, meat filled pastries aren't exactly weird. There's likely a lot more than the ones I got via picture.