Convicted Wacko Sues Blizzard

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Convicted Wacko Sues Blizzard

Notorious inmate Jonathan Lee Riches, currently serving time in South Carolina for wire fraud, has filed a third-party motion in the Blizzard vs. MDY Glider bot case, claiming World of Warcraft [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86562] caused him to lose touch with reality which ultimately resulted in his crimes.

The handwritten motion was filed with the Arizona Federal Court on Monday. In it, Riches wrote, "World of Warcraft caused Riches mind to live in a virtual universe, where Riches explored the landscape committing identity theft and fighting cybermonster rival hacker gangs. Riches was addicted to videogames and lost touch with reality because of defendants. This caused Riches to commit fraud to buy defendants' videogames. Riches chose World of Warcraft over working a legit job, Riches' mind became a living videogame."

The Blizzard vs. MDY case centers around MDY's violated the game's license [http://www.mmoglider.com/], and awarded the company $6 million in damages.

Blizzard's legal team likely isn't losing much sleep over this, however; Riches has a history of filing random lawsuits against random people and things, including President George W. Bush, Jeff Gordon, Benazir Bhutto, the 13 tribes of Israel, Plato, Jimmy Hoffa, the Eiffel Tower, Mein Kampf, the Roman Empire, Three Mile Island... I could go on, but you probably get the idea. I can't tell if this guy is crazy as hell or just really, really bored, but either way I can't help but feel a little warmly toward someone who names Slobodan Milosevic, Wu Tang Clan and the pantheon of Nordic gods all in the same suit.

here [http://virtuallyblind.com/2008/11/05/riches-warcraft-motion/]. (PDF format)

via: Slashdot [http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/11/05/1658215&from=rss]

sirdanrhodes

Nov 7, 2007
Basically he's looking for something to pin the blame on. That's just like me saying "Oh, I dismembered bodies and urinated on them because I was trying to relive postal 2".

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I'm reminded of a quote from Chris Rock: "What happened to crazy?"

Next thing you know, this guy's going to sue his own endocrine system. At the very least he'd be suing the right party for cause.

Lima

Jun 18, 2007
Just another example of a crazy person using games as an excuse.

glambo

Oct 9, 2008
this is what everyone i have known that are serving time in prison do. they have nothing but time so they try and figure out who they can sue and for what. they attempt to manipulate our flawed legal system for their benefit. i know a few people who recently got out of prison and have each filed 4-5 lawsuits in the last year simply because they dont want to work.

why doesnt this guy sue Bill Gates for his part in creating a device to deliver WoW into his brain? or sue Viewsonic for making the monitor that fed it into his eyes? sheesh.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
That lawsuit reminds me of some I heard of, where people were suing the local council for having loose paving stones after they had tripped on them...

arcus_angelus

Oct 15, 2008
Lima said:
Shenanigans.
I 100% agree!

I would also like to add, that if he's trying to make a name for himself by doing this, he's failed, since i've already forgotten who he is. He's an afterthought. . .and my life goes on. . .

:)

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Whoops, I thought it read "Convicted Wakko Sues Blizzard."

I was expecting more anvils and big musical numbers.

Spectre39

Oct 6, 2008
Yahtzee said something on the absurdity of American lawsuits on his website http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/essays/tribute.htm .

Yahtzee said:
Your wife has run over your dog? Sue her! Your best friend has borrowed your Green Day CDs and hasn't given them back yet? Get their ass in court! What could be more American than blatantly trying to get money out of a tragedy? It's a good thing Jason Voorhees isn't around in real life, he'd get his ass sued to oblivion by the families of all those partying teenagers he slit up! Note that I said 'ass', not 'arse'! This shows how much I love America! They say money can't buy happiness, but what with all those people suing for cash because they're a bit upset, that can't be true, right?
It also reminds me of something Larry the Cable Guy said about lawsuits, "That's like trying to sue 'Hustler' magazine for giving me carpel tunnel".

The Lyre

Jul 2, 2008
If it was any game other than WoW, I'd agree with the shenanigans view.

But...seeing the utterly crazy people this game seems to produce, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the idea. It would not surprise me if WoW detached him from reality, exaggerating problems that may have already been there.

I still think it's a bullshit lawsuit, but it really would not surprise me to find that WoW is responsible for exaserbating mental health problems. This game seems to be the cocaine of the basement-gaming world.

ThePlasmatizer

Sep 2, 2008
Jharry5 said:
That lawsuit reminds me of some I heard of, where people were suing the local council for having loose paving stones after they had tripped on them...
Which is understandable if you tripped and seriously injured yourself, it's up to the council to keep the pavements in good condition.

On Topic:

I think he has really lost touch with reality, I think the defence attorney would have a great case if he told his client to plead insanity.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Qayin said:
This game seems to be the cocaine of the basement-gaming world.
I still don't understand why. I played it for about 3 and a half years (from release up to a few months ago) and never got to the stage of addiction which some people seem to reach. I like WoW, I enjoy it a lot when I do play it with my guild and whatnot, but the stuff I hear off people who quit their jobs to play it just boggles my mind. It's right up there on the scale of unbelievable things next to God and Faeries actually existing for me.