Cookie Monster Abandons Cookies, Throws Himself into Science Instead

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Cookie Monster Abandons Cookies, Throws Himself into Science Instead

One of Sesame Street's most colorful residents finally answers the age-old question of whether a coconut floats in water, in his own unique style.

While most know Cookie Monster for his work as a fuzzy, blue gourmand, beneath that snack-obsessed exterior beats the heart of a scientist, and one that isn't afraid to get his hands dirty - or his fingers wet for that matter - doing his own experiments.

In a recent series of YouTube videos - which are a few weeks old, but are charming and fun enough to be worth a mention all the same - Cookie, and his assistant Emma, asks viewers to help them determine which of the various objects they've collected will sink in water, and which will float.

Just watching Cookie drop things in water would be entertaining enough, but the icing in the cake - or indeed, the chocolate chips in the cookie - is that fact that the videos are interactive, allowing the viewer to choose the object, and then decide whether they think it will float or sink. It's not the most complicated experiment in the world, but some of the objects might surprise you. I recommend that you try the citrus fruit first.

The videos don't go into a lot of detail about why an object would float or sink, but they do a very good job of explaining the process of conducting an experiment. First, you ask a question, then you construct a hypothesis to answer that question, and then you test your hypothesis. If your hypothesis is correct, you've answered the question, and if it's wrong, you adjust your hypothesis and try the experiment again.

As our very own [user]Susan Arendt[/user] noted, interactive web videos, especially on something like YouTube, is a great way to keep Cookie Monster and the other Sesame Street characters current. Not only that, but by making the experiment accessible and fun to watch - and it really, really is - it helps keep the lesson memorable.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Science Monster doesn't cut it as a name...Thank god they aren't pushing that.

But that's fun edu-tainment.

Still, he's no Bill Nye. Not even a Beakman, really.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
LLR I am very disappointed with you now. Sesame street can do it but you guys can't? I tried to play along but nothing happened. For shame. You guys got shown up bu a little girl and a blue monster.

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Anyone else who was afraid of the cookie monster as a kid?

Also, I failed. Though that little girl told me that it was OK.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Wait, the Coconut floated?!!

To quote but modify a famous Internet Meme:

"F-ing Coconuts! How do they work?!"

OT: I like it, but the girl on the left can't act... And I hate the fact that Seseme Street is trying to make Cookie Monster not want Cookies all the time! I think he should abandon ship while he can and just join the Muppets.

Cap'n Ninja

Magnificent Malefactor
Jan 16, 2011
Logan Westbrook said:
It's not the most complicated experiment in the world, but some of the objects might surprise you. I recommend that you try the citrus fruit first.
Really? I thought it was common knowledge that limes are denser than water.

Mr.Mattress said:
Wait, the Coconut floated?!!

To quote but modify a famous Internet Meme:

"F-ing Coconuts! How do they work?!"
Yeah, they have to. The coconut tree drops the coconuts on the beach, which then get carried away by the tide, washed up on another beach, and start to grow there. The reason they're hollow is to keep them afloat.

OT: Cookie Monster + SCIENCE! = Awesome.
Stupid little girl, not letting me be on Sesame Street with Cookie...

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I also heard he's investing into pussy

Spoiler'd for people who don't want their childhood ruined:)

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Science Monster doesn't cut it as a name...Thank god they aren't pushing that.
Yeah, especially since we're supposed to be calling him the vegetable monster or whatever after they needed to make a PR change. Soon he wont even be blue. :(

Still, its kinda cool that Sesame street is changing constantly to meet the needs of new generations and be relevant. I wish the same could be said for Bill Nye.

True story, I was watching an old Bill Nye vid cause I was just feeling nostalgic and my room mate had his little cousin over. They me watching and asked who that was (he's five, understandable) and I explained, then the kid said something about Bill Nye being a joke and he didnt do real science or know what he was talking about and went against the Crazy Clown group (something like that, I wasnt focused). So yeah. Between that and my last semester room mate not knowing what Legos are (having grown up in America and being 18, I have bad feelings for the way children of this age are growing up.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
emeraldrafael said:
the Crazy Clown group
Insane Clown Posse?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/fcking-magnets-how-do-they-work
Probably yeah. All I know is he came in with his face painted like a clown, but I thought he was at a local fair. Like i said, I checked out of that coversation as soon as he starts insulting Bill Nye's credibility (which is surprising substantially founded considering you wouldnt think so).

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Dr. Insano Monster!

Haha...

Though really, science and Cookie Monster is a connection I didn't expect.