Copyright Lawyers Sue Lawyer Who Helped Copyright Defendants

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Our ability to sue anybody and everybody for anything and everything has gotten far out of hand. Can they really do anything against him? I certainly hope not.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
One of Many said:
Sir John the Net Knight said:
What do you call 10,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A damn good start.
You round up the lawyers, I'll get the cement shoes ready.
And if anyone objects to polluting existing oceans with lawyers, fuck it, I´ll dig you a new one.
Totally worth the effort.

Humble85

Jun 6, 2010
Agiel7 said:
I think the really big deal here is that there's people willingly illegally downloading the Far Cry movie...
LOL! That actually IS disturbing...that was Uwe Boll again, wasnt it? And Till Schweiger...*gross*

OT: I find it pretty disgusting what the USCG/their lawyers are trying to do. Sue people for illegal downloads, ok...not my choice of action, not the amount of money I would sue for, but I guess its in their rights to do so. But actively trying to prevent people from defending themselves? Thats just a real *****-move...

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
zombie711 said:
Wait people download the Far Cry movie? they deserved to be punished!
If the reviews are to be believed, they punished themselves by watching it.

OT: The most laughable part of this to me is that this lawyer is pretty much giving information to throw doubt into the Copyright lawyer's cases, which means they were built on shaky ground to begin with. This isn't justice, it's a scam, and this lawyer is being a bro by showing everyone the scam before they get hurt by it.

It's like having actual cons suing that one show I watched (forgot its name) where they show how con artists work.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I admire this man's balls and money making skills.

I also admire him for standing up to somewhat wrongheaded bullying tactics. Sending letters to people saying 'you owe us $2500 and we'll take you to court if you don't pay,' is going to do bugger all about piracy. It doesn't sound like a very viable method to start a court case by either, especially if the evidence they intend to file is as bad as their diplomacy.

Threatening the people at the end of the chain is utterly pointless, they should be tracking down the ones in charge of the sites, which of course they won't do because these people have enough money to defend themselves or are well out of the USCG's reach.

That a $10 mail order pack can foil a lawsuit says far more about the people filing the suit than the dude selling the pack. Which is a shame, I can't help but feel I'm rooting for the bad guys here.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
This guy is awesome!

For too long complicated laws and rules have been held over people's heads. I hope this guy takes all their cases pro bono in the hopes of paupering the evil bastards.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
What's next suing people who write law books or the internet as they teach people about the law and hence they can defend themselves, which costs opposing lawyers money.

Apr 24, 2008
Woah, he's like Atticus Finch.

I can't imagine how they think they can sue him for looking out for his clients best interests, without ripping them off.

"This is completely insane," he told TorrentFreak. "If 19 cases costs them $5000 in attorney time, I wonder how many cases it'd take before their business model crumbles. That is unless they are going to actually work for a living."

That sounds about right. He's dealing with crooks, they want to scare money out of people.

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
wow and here i was thinking lawyers couldn't be bigger douchefucks. Now as someone (electrical enginner) who is completely oblivious to [copyright] laws i think this probably all a bunch of bullshit and if a sane person would be handling that case, he should laugh in their douchefuck attorney faces

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
This is why there aren't any good lawyers left. As soon as one shows up, the other lawyers sue him/her out of existence.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
TMAN10112 said:
okay, let me get this straight.

A lawyer who is selling self-help documents (which show people how to defend themselves in court, rather than hiring a expensive attorney), is being sued by a group of lawyers who are angry that the people who took advantage of his advice don't need to pay them thousands of dollars for something they can now do themselves.

....am I getting this right?
Almost. USCG is one of those "companies" that make money by "speculative invoicing". Which basically means sending messages saying "We can convince a judge that you pirated XYZ, Pay us $5000 or we'll have a court destroy your life." to random people, guilty or not. So then you either pay them or spend 10 times as much on court fees getting the charges dropped.

So they're blackmailing people at random(figures range from 20% to 3% amount of pirates total, let alone people who specifically downloaded the content named in the letter) and they're suing somebody who's educating people on how to prove their innocence with a $20 book instead of $200000 in lawyer fees.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I don't get this one overall, fundementally what this guy did was charge for legal advice/consultation. He just put the information down on paper and sold that, rather than arranging a face to face meeting. Lawyers charge for legal advice and consultation all the time, it's what they do. I fail to see how a case could be made out of this at all, and I'm usually pretty good at looking at things from all kinds of wierd angles and perspectives.

The best precedent I could come up with is that they are argueing that he's acting as a representitive without being on record/comissioned as one. There are tons of problems with an arguement like that however.