Copyright Lawyers Sue Lawyer Who Helped Copyright Defendants

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Lady Justice herself makes it fairly clear. Shes blind, unwilling to see whats right infront of her. The scales are there to make her laws. Whoever piles the most money on wins. How most of you can call this justice, is more than a little confusing to me.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
I LOL'd when I read this article. I think everyone should buy this package, because it might just save your ass in court if you ever get sued for anything.

Seriously, these are all tricks a paid lawyer would use (and does) to defend a client. And most of the things people see as "loopholes" are in place to help protect the innocent. The bad thing is that sometimes people that break the law can also be protected by it.

But that is all aside the point. Where is it exactly written that you have to charge $XXXX.XX per hour to effectively lawyer. Apparently we've turned being a lawyer into an industry, so why not some healthy competition?

Besides, using threat settlements is dirty fucking law. Whether you are justified using threat settlements, it's basically extortion. Pay me X and I won't sue you! It's not that much different that protection money. Pay me X and Y won't happen.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
008Zulu said:
Heres an interesting development in this particular news item

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1928938/anti-p2p-lawyers-committed-racketeering-copyright-misuse-unjust-enrichment-fraud

The irony is so delicious I may not be able to eat for the rest of the day.
That is pretty ironic. There's a old African proverb: when you dig a grave for your enemy, dig two just in case your enemy wins.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
I say good for him. It's about time someone with means stood up to the bullies who charge people with lawsuits for this.

Now, that's not to say I support piracy: on the contrary, I absolutely detest it. I have plans for my future that include selling piratable products, and if piracy continues then there's a very real financial threat to me. But the problem isn't the people downloading, it's the people who are making the illegal copies available in the first place. Suing the people who've downloaded copies of movies, while doing nothing about the places on the Internet that provide those copies, is nothing but bullying for the sake of profit and does nothing at all to actually solve the problem. But then again, if the problem were solved, there wouldn't be any money to be made by suing people.

Welcome to America.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
DiMono said:
I say good for him. It's about time someone with means stood up to the bullies who charge people with lawsuits for this.

Now, that's not to say I support piracy: on the contrary, I absolutely detest it. I have plans for my future that include selling piratable products, and if piracy continues then there's a very real financial threat to me. But the problem isn't the people downloading, it's the people who are making the illegal copies available in the first place. Suing the people who've downloaded copies of movies, while doing nothing about the places on the Internet that provide those copies, is nothing but bullying for the sake of profit and does nothing at all to actually solve the problem. But then again, if the problem were solved, there wouldn't be any money to be made by suing people.

Welcome to America.
I doubt he's able to counter-sue because he's got the means to do so. What's he's got is an attorney willing to take the case as a class action and the attorney bringing a class action gets to claim inflated attorney fees.

When the dust settles from the nuclear Holocaust that wipes us all off the face of the Earth, only the cockroaches and the lawyers will have survived.

Robert Patrician

Nov 13, 2010
I would love to see the District Attorney weigh in on this. "Your lawsuit against the lawyer was a direct and blatant attempt to intimidate others who would exercise their legal rights. As such, all of the lawsuits you filed regarding this issue are declared frivolous. Everyone you sued may now sue you back."

Too bad we don't have the equivalent of the system in japan.
You have to pay a filing fee of one half of one percent of the amount of damages sought. So if you're suing someone for $1,000,000, you have to pay the court $5,000.
You also have to pay your lawyer 8% of the amount up front. So in suing someone for $1,000,000 you have to pay your lawyer $80,000 up front.

(LK)

Mar 4, 2010
Athinira said:
This is humor indeed.

I'm looking forward to seeing a judge dismiss this case and tell the law firm to get real. Even if that doesn't happen, they don't have a snowballs chance in hell to win that case.
That's not the point. They don't care if they win. They will lose, and it will cost the defendant a great deal of time and potentially a great deal of money.

Do you think Monsanto cares that they lose the case when they sue farmers for not buying non-Monsanto seeds? They know they will lose, they plan to lose. However, they make sure that the process of resolving the case is dearly costly to the defendant. In that particular case though they don't always lose, sometimes the defendant, in the process of working towards a victory, runs out of money and has to settle and do as they're told by the plaintiff.

The entire point of the lawsuit is to lose, and to lose very publicly, so that they make it very clear how much frustration and cost this lawyer had to incur for standing up to them.

Most people do not comprehend just how much the plaintiff actually wins every time they lose one of these intimidation lawsuits. Every time it's one more defendant's wallet on a pike, like so many decapitated heads, warning people to stay out of their way or they're next.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
So...this man is getting sued because he's teaching people how to defend themselves in court?
^This. What a bunch of fucking hypocrites. If you're incompetent enough to be foiled by a same argument 19 fucking times, it's your own fault.

Just further proof that copyright infringement lawsuits are nothing but a product of bullshit and greed that they themselves condemn the defendants for in the first place. And if their lawsuit goes through, I'll just lose any shred of respect I have for the legal system, not that there's much left at the moment.

Mercsenary

Oct 19, 2008
I dont see how USCG or rather the law firm behind them have a case here.

You are suing a lawyer... for selling forms that other people can use instead of hiring a lawyer...

That's like Starbucks suing Cuisinart for making a coffee maker since the coffee maker allows people to make their own coffee at home instead of buying it at Starbucks.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
(LK) said:
That's not the point. They don't care if they win. They will lose, and it will cost the defendant a great deal of time and potentially a great deal of money.
The case is most likely to be outright dismissed, which doesn't really cost the defendant anything other than time.

I see your point, but i think you're wrong. This, in my opinion, is a case of delusion on the part of the suer. They seem to actually believe that they can win this case, so when they lose, it will not be expected (or well, it will on our part) and they are in for a big surprise.

And yes, there actually exists lawyers that are this ignorant.

Edit: And even if it wasn't because they are delusional, you are vastly overestimating how much "trouble" the lawyer has to go through in this case. He will probably be laughing all the way through it, assuming the case isn't dismissed (in which case, he is probably still laughing anyway).

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Y'know what would be perfect? If the case doesn't get thrown out, but he still beats them using one of his own packets. Watching these pompous lawyers and its multi-thousand dollar prosecution effort lose to a $20 self-help book sounds like most EPIC WIN ever.

Even better? This guy's got lawyering down with this packet-business, since he's effectively representing multiple people in court at once, with the only investment of his being publishing costs, which are compensated by the profit margin of these packets, leaving his schedule open for real trials!

I hope this venture of his is successful: Entreprenuerism and Free Enterprise, the spirit of the American Economy. And he is an agent of Adam Smith's Invisible Hand, filling the demand for low-cost defense against spurrilous lawsuits that otherwise cost people thousands of dollars in cash and time.

Go go gadget: Capitalism!

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I know a lot of people are crying racketeering, but I think that we should take a look towards it being a SLAPP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation

It seems to me that you could very easily argue that these lawsuits are intended to intimidate and coerce a smaller party without intending to actually bring the case to trial. The fact that they are sueing someone for advising others to take the case to court seems a pretty clear indicator that this is a SLAPP.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Agiel7 said:
I think the really big deal here is that there's people willingly illegally downloading the Far Cry movie, though I suppose one most be infinitely more off their rockers if they actually bought it.
In their defense, I watched Bloodrayne on YouTube... for 5 minutes. Back then, I didn't know who Uwe Boll was. Maybe they didn't know the movie sucked... untill they downloaded it.

mrsultana

Feb 21, 2010
YouBecame said:
mrsultana said:
Daystar Clarion said:
The UK law student laughs at the American legal system! It's super effective!

Seriously, the lawsuit culture in America is ridiculous...
I think many people in the UK would agree with you, Mr. UK Law Student, but Simon Singh would think you are part of a bigger problem.
What did he publish that you are alluding to? I'd be interested to read what he has to say. I've always liked his publications and arguments, ever since reading his The Code Book.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Singh#Chiropractic_lawsuit_and_backlash

Eponet

Nov 18, 2009
TheAmazingHobo said:
One of Many said:
Sir John the Net Knight said:
What do you call 10,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A damn good start.
You round up the lawyers, I'll get the cement shoes ready.
And if anyone objects to polluting existing oceans with lawyers, fuck it, I´ll dig you a new one.
Totally worth the effort.
I actually like this lawyer. What's with all the hate? He's helping people to defend themselves.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Okay, this is BULL. This isn't even "lol, that's so stupid," it's just plain bull. THEY are the ones that cost THEMSELVES thousands of dollars. If they didn't want to give up the thousands, they shouldn't have made claims in the first place. My idea? Everyone who's ever gotten in trouble with copyright law, buy this book and make those idiots pay. He's helping people understand the stuff that THEY created, and THEY are getting upset about it. Guess who's at fault here? THEY ARE. It's not even understandable, if they don't want the lawsuits, don't threaten people with them. It's like threatening to nuke a country with a cardboard cutout of a bomb, and then getting upset when they arrest you. It's absolutely retarded.