Cosplay Recreates Final Fantasy VII's Most Famous Moment

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Cosplay Recreates Final Fantasy VII's Most Famous Moment

A recent cosplay shoot has given life to one of the Final Fantasy franchise's most memorable moments.

For many Final Fantasy fans there's no moment in the series more iconic than the (Ancient Spoiler Warning) death of Aerith in <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e3-2015/14114-Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake>Final Fantasy VII. Unexpected and shocking, it was made doubly effective the game's use of cinematic cutscenes that, at the time, were unlike anything many players had ever seen. It's been nearly 20 years but the franchise has arguably never again produced a moment as famous or poignant. It should serve as little surprise, in turn, that some fans have gone to sometimes incredible lengths to pay tribute to the scene and the game.

For all Jan-Michael Losada, the pictures in questions recreated Aerith's famous aquatic burial scene. Aerith and Cloud were portrayed by veteran cosplayers Sarah "Adella" Quillian and <a href=https://www.facebook.com/WesTheEditor>Wes Johnson. Quillian also designed her costume while a team of several others assisted with other elements of the shoot.

While the initial shot of Cloud holding Aerith is quite lovely, the truly impressive images are arguably the underwater shots for which Quillian had to literally sink down into a pool of water. "Underwater requires that you trick your brain to push past the point where it is demanding you return to the surface for air," she said, commenting on the photos. "The position I had to be in, in order to sink slowly to the bottom of the pool, also allowed water to flow up inside of my head! It was definitely an exhausting day, but I'm so happy with how the photos turned out!"

It's perhaps worth noting that this isn't the first time Quillian's portrayed Aerith. While her previous takes on the character were perhaps less dramatic than this latest one, they've all been quite excellent and you'd do well to <a href=http://adella.deviantart.com/art/Aerith-Aeris-Gainsborough-20621645>give them a peek. In fact we'll go ahead and recommend that you check out all of her <a href=http://adella.deviantart.com/gallery/199715/Cosplay>cosplay work and maybe even stop by <a href=https://www.patreon.com/adella?ty=h>her Patreon if you feel so inclined.
[gallery=4512]
Source: DeviantArt

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
StewShearer said:
(Ancient Spoiler Warning)
The fact that this - judging by one of Jim's more recent videos and the reaction to it - is absolutely required is something I find rather depressing.

Fan-flippin'-tastic cosplay though. Really is a pretty sweet gallery.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
RJ 17 said:
StewShearer said:
The fact that this - judging by one of Jim's more recent videos and the reaction to it - is absolutely required is something I find rather depressing.

If it's any conciliation I hadn't initially planned on putting a warning in at all and mostly added it just to be a bit snarky. :)

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
Neat! But why the hell do they have Cloud smiling?! It just looks creepy like he is happy to be there...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
StewShearer said:
RJ 17 said:
StewShearer said:

If it's any conciliation I hadn't initially planned on putting a warning in at all and mostly added it just to be a bit snarky. :)
Hehe, that's what I figured, and that's why I said it was depressing: you clearly put that in there as a joke, however judging by the fact that people are crying foul over that particular "spoiler" means that you likely would have been chewed out if you didn't put that in there. :p

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
That moment made me tear up pretty bad when I first got to it. The fact that you could not bring her back made it sting extra hard. I still get a little sad whenever I hear her theme music, even to this day.

This is beyond impressive. I especially like how they even had her hear flaring out behind her in that one shot, just like it does in the game.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I wonder if this was inspired by the recent FF7 Remake announcement or would they have done this anyway?

The shoot looks like it was well done. The Aerith costume also looks excellent, though the Cloud costume looks a little off. Probably the armor on the shoulder is my biggest gripe. It's a little too large. That may be accurate to the original work, but it does look a little silly in real life and even Dissidia updated his shoulder armor to not hang out so far. I would, however, like to see both outside the water to get better looks at the costumes.

Not sure if I find the first shot, of Aerith's side, or the last shot, from behind, more beautiful to look at. Very impressive photography.

Here's hoping the new game makes the scene look as impressive.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Spectacular; that's almost exactly how the scene would look in a live-action movie adaptation of the story (although I agree Cloud's pauldron would need to be adjusted a bit to something more practical). They even managed to make Cloud's stupic looking anime hair look vaguely plausible.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
The hairstyles really don't transition to "realism" very well.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Funny thing is, this is good enough to make me question if it's real or CG.
Leaving aside minor details, it reminds me of similar scenes in advent children...

Something about the way this is lit totally messes with my head, that's for sure. XD

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Blazing Hero said:
Neat! But why the hell do they have Cloud smiling?! It just looks creepy like he is happy to be there...
They should have made it really accurate... they should have removed his mouth entirely!

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
StewShearer said:
RJ 17 said:
StewShearer said:

I particularily liked the pun! ;) More of that please! :p

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
Ah yes, the scene where Cloud (inadvertently) drowned Aerith.