Costume Judge for Hire

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Costume Judge for Hire

There's more to winning - and judging - a costume contest than you might think.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
If you make that costume it would be win, lol.

I have seen some pretty bad costumes in my time...A naruto with huge breasts...lol

laserwulf

Dec 30, 2007
One thing that irks me (and I keep in mind for my cosplay) is know what works for your build/face/temperament. As a slightly stocky guy with perpetual 5:00 shadow, I'll never be dressing up as Sailor Moon. The closest was man-Faith, only because her outfit is gender-neutral. If you weigh 300 lbs., please don't dress up as Rei (in plugsuit) from Evangelion, no matter how encyclopedic your knowledge of her is.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Good read, didn't know that there was more than judging a costume contest than the costume itself. Now I am off to find out who or what this "Cate Archer" is

-Googles-

Okay then... better than Man-Faye I guess. Good luck with the costume.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
If you don't know who Cate Archer is, you really really need to play NOLF 1 and 2.

jtesauro

Freelance Detective
Nov 8, 2009
Do it!

Incidentally, I once tried to go as Darth Revan to a halloween party. Sadly, no one got the reference, save they all knew it was somehow Star Wars related. I probably should have gone the sith version, but I always played the game light side. Just goes to show you, always know your audience.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
That first costume just sounded plain boring. I know he'd probably spent ages judging the person's character etc., but it's probably his fault for picking such a boring dude to dress as.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Susan, that link at the end was both funny and disturbing. I honestly almost forgot what the whole article was about.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
A shortage of cosplayers at a game convention? The Four Horseman must be saddling up.

Really, that seems like a good deal to me. I've never been into cosplay (not much of a convention scene in rural Alberta) but I'd be happy to judge a contest. Oh, but I'd probably have to watch anime. That's not much to my taste. . .

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Well that was an interesting story. This is like of those short little stories that people read to give to give them a moral boost or offer some incite into life. I suppose persona would be as important as person in a costume contest though since your trying to be a character rather then just look good as in a beauty contest or such. You learn something new everyday I suppose.

Incidentally, I've been wondering for some time where your avatar is from. I remember seeing it many years ago in an issue of Nintendo power that has long since disappeared and I cannot for the life of me come up with anything about it besides that one image in my head. Where is that character from?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Twilight_guy said:
Well that was an interesting story. This is like of those short little stories that people read to give to give them a moral boost or offer some incite into life. I suppose persona would be as important as person in a costume contest though since your trying to be a character rather then just look good as in a beauty contest or such. You learn something new everyday I suppose.

Incidentally, I've been wondering for some time where your avatar is from. I remember seeing it many years ago in an issue of Nintendo power that has long since disappeared and I cannot for the life of me come up with anything about it besides that one image in my head. Where is that character from?
That would be Vanessa Z. Schneider from PN03, a GameCube game that about five people played (me being one of them). I have a poster of her above my desk, too - you can see it in plenty of Escapist Presents videos.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
I'm a costume addict myself, I find it's so much easier to start a conversation at a convention when your dressed up like something crazy, plus getting your picture taken constantly is good for the ego.

Unfortunately since I have NO sewing talent, I'm limited to costumes I can "assemble".

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
MurderousToaster said:
That first costume just sounded plain boring. I know he'd probably spent ages judging the person's character etc., but it's probably his fault for picking such a boring dude to dress as.
don't be so quick to judge mate. I say this as one who was thier and saw all three entrants in costume and he certainly looked the part and the way he was carrying himself everytime I saw him didn't hurt