Could an 'arthouse' game work?

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
If you are unfamiliar with 'arthouse' as a term let me explain. In the terms of movies an arthouse movie is usually lower on budget, released independantly or at least not by one of the bigger companies and are usually more serious in theme and often very beautiful and artistic. Mostly thoughtful and deep wherein each one has more purpose than just to entertain.

Right well with the above definition applied to movies I've always wondered if the same could be done for games. Something that is artistic, moving and very thoughtful as subject matter and exists for more than just mindless fun. Sort of a 'sophisticated' game. If you don't know how this would work I'll use the recent release Velvet Assassin as an example. It demonstrates itself as being a very well put together game with great art direction and good ambiance and is different to other World War 2 games because it is much darker, much grittier and is less about the 'bravery during the horror's of war' and more about just 'the horrors of war'. It almost reaches what I'm talking about so it's close enough to be an example.

So I guess out of all this, can you imagine people playing a game with a more sophisticated and more serious tinge to it? Like with more themes that are relevant and a lot of philosophy added as well designed to make the player think? Something that has darker tones that actually feel gritty and grim instead of just cliche.
Do you think a game like this would sell?

Zyconis

Apr 15, 2009
I don't see why it couldn't be done.

Now, whether or not it would sell, that's a different story entirely. If you take a look at the majority of 'arthouse' movies, they don't make all that much money. They'll do amazingly well at the indie film festivals they premier at, and do little else.

Sadly, critical acclaim does not translate into monetary gain.

magicmonkeybars

Gullible Dolt
Nov 20, 2007
there is this fun little "game" called "the Graveyard" it's not much of a game but it is very serious and grim.

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
Bioshock's story and atmosphere had a very arthouse feel to it.
I think the only people who didn't like bioshock are the ones who can't appreciate just that, story and atmosphere.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
yay I replied to my own thread hoorah *clap clap*

.....okay seriously:

Another thing about Arthouse movies is that they often have heavy emphasis on personal drama and emotional conflict often reloving around a character's personal flaws. I reckon a game character like that would be undoubtedly interesting.

(also as a note Arthouse movies are famed for showing nudity in a tasteful way which I still think is favourable to what we are seeing now.)

NimbleJack3

Apr 14, 2009
The flash game Gray is very good and has a deep political message. it's at http://www.intuitiongames.com/gray/

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
I think we already see the beginning of stylised, artsy games.
Take Flower, Braid, The Path, Pixeljunk Eden, Linger in Shadows, some games by Suda51 and so on. They rely on gameplay seen before, but their staging and pacing is unusual (in a good way).

And in more and more free indepedent/Flash games you can see the longing for something deeper than the mediocre standard that's been plaguing big releases in the past years.

riskroWe

May 12, 2009
These games can be and are made independently, but just like with music and film, no big company is going to make an artsy game because there's no money in it.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
TaborMallory said:
I think the only people who didn't like bioshock are the ones who can't appreciate just that, story and atmosphere.
Or those who played System Shock 2...

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
D_987 said:
TaborMallory said:
Or those who played System Shock 2...
I still haven't played it, and thus I keep forgetting about it.

I've heard quite enough positive feedback to ignore it. What system is it for?

October Country

Dec 21, 2008
When I think arthouse games, I mostly think about small indie, flash-games like Passage, The Marriage, Stars over Half Moon Bay and Gravitation.
These were developed by a one-man team (Jason Rohrer/Rod Humble) and all more deep than convetionally entertaining, exploring subjects such as relationships, creativity, life and death.

Stainless

Apr 28, 2009
Vrex360 said:
Another thing about Arthouse movies is that they often have heavy emphasis on personal drama and emotional conflict often reloving around a character's personal flaws. I reckon a game character like that would be undoubtedly interesting.
What you're describing is, afaik, Braid.

Arthouse games already have quite the following, but there's a real need to make a distinction between artsy games, like Braid or Knytt, and artsy non-games posing as games, like Passage, Facade, The Endless Forest and possibly Heavy Rain.

Killer7 was asian arthouse to a T.

arc101

May 24, 2009
i think it could be brilliant, but really the point is that it would get very few sales because of their independence

coakroach

Jun 8, 2008
'Hardcore' gamers run to independent game companies now that the big three are being enjoyed by the masses which they loathe so much

Sorry, felt like posting the first bitter and cynical thing that popped into my head

10BIT

Sep 14, 2008
Vrex360 said:
[Arthouse movies] have heavy emphasis on personal drama and emotional conflict often reloving around a character's personal flaws. I reckon a game character like that would be undoubtedly interesting.
This description fits 'The Path' perfectly.

In 'The Path', you explore a hugely atmospheric world where you learn about your character through her interactions with various objects and through the effect the 'wolf' has on her. These events are all open for interpretation and leaves you with a unique, chilling and unforgettable experience.