Could Batman defeat the entire Avengers?

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
Given the nature of stories like these, and how much comic writers love to let the underdog win, Batman would win hands down. Not because he's the smartest or the strongest or has the most experience. He would win because he's doing it alone. Now, before you start to shit on me for saying this, I want you to think first. I want you to think veeeeeeeeeery hard about this. Would anyone write this kind of story if there was any realistic meta-chance that the singular entity would lose? Unless they are an almighty Galactus-level god, then no. Batman would win because that's the kind of story that would be told: one man with limitless intelligence, infinite money, and OP martial skills versus an entire team of characters all of whom have some kind of powerful ability.

The worst thing is that this isn't even Batman's fault. This is just a trope in storytelling in general. No one would make this kind of story if the smaller guy was going to lose. At least, not if the smaller guy is a superhero, even if the other side's guys are ALSO superheroes.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Normal humans dont seem completely helpless against the avengers considering past villains. So If Bats can manipulate and seperate the Avengers maybe... Though I think Batman would seek out Allys.

Dave Stauber

May 11, 2016
The fact that this question would even be asked shows just how far Batwank has gotten out of hand. Batman is, hands down, the worst character in comic books at this point. You have people claiming a dude in a fursuit who knows karate and throws boomerangs can beat the FUCKING HULK. It's gone too far.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Doubt it. While it's subjective, Death Battle showed that, 1 on 1 with no prep time, Spiderman could take out Batman.

But of course, everyone will argue that Batman could win if he had a year's worth of prep time, so who knows.

Feb 26, 2014
MiskWisk said:
Politrukk said:
Apparently I didn't get the memo but Batman is god now?
According to his most die hard fans, yes. Yes he is.
No, no, no. Batman has literally become a god.

I don' know whether he's lost the power yet, but yeah. As far as I know, Batman is a god.

OT: Are we talking movie Batman vs movie Avengers? Because if so, no. Movie Batman just is not at all impressive enough. Hell, Nolan's Batman has never faced a meta-human threat. Forget about Thor, Vision, or Hulk. Bats probably couldn't take on Hawkeye.

If we're talking comics, he may have a chance. You see, Batman does, in fact, have a power. Writer/Plot Induced Stupidity. Even when he shouldn't win, he just does. He always conveniently has just what he needs to come out on top. If Batman takes on the Avengers he'll have a virus prepared for Vision and the Iron Men, a cure for Banner, Parker, and Rogers, and a device to take out Scarlet Witch. Against, Ant-Man/Giant Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye, (Bucky) and Black Panther, he'd just beat them all, 4(5) on 1. Why?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Dave Stauber said:
The fact that this question would even be asked shows just how far Batwank has gotten out of hand. Batman is, hands down, the worst character in comic books at this point. You have people claiming a dude in a fursuit who knows karate and throws boomerangs can beat the FUCKING HULK. It's gone too far.
I didn't say I liked him. It was just a question posed on a podcast.

Damn son.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
He couldn't even beat one of them. He's trained, but he's not super-powered, so he's not going to win a straight-up fight, he can fly, but so can half the avengers, he's smart, but so are Stark and Banner. Batman has nothing special to beat the avengers with, and certainly not all of them.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
DudeistBelieve said:
He could.

But why would he?

Far more interesting question: Could The Avengers stop Owl Man? Hmmmmm....
Who is Owl Man? An evil alter Ego of Batman as far I read I guess, but what is so special about him? There were already many evil versions of Batman as far I know.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Captain Marvelous said:
MiskWisk said:
Politrukk said:
Apparently I didn't get the memo but Batman is god now?
According to his most die hard fans, yes. Yes he is.
No, no, no. Batman has literally become a god.

I don' know whether he's lost the power yet, but yeah. As far as I know, Batman is a god.
Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok...Ok.........................................oooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOk.
What the f*ck happening around me? Did I lost so many episodes from my youth and I never saw this coming?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
SweetShark said:
DudeistBelieve said:
He could.

But why would he?

Far more interesting question: Could The Avengers stop Owl Man? Hmmmmm....
Who is Owl Man? An evil alter Ego of Batman as far I read I guess, but what is so special about him? There were already many evil versions of Batman as far I know.
Batman devoid of hope and no moral compass. He's also a Nihilist, which as we know is the most exhausting activity one can ever partake in outside of soccer.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
inu-kun said:
At least modern media given us one person that Batman will never ever beat:
To be fair though, with how OPM is setup i don't think any super hero or villain in DC/Marvel could beat him. Not even Supes.

Inazuma1

Professional Asshole
Legacy
Nov 18, 2009
Hell
The whole "Batman Contingency Plan" hinges on Bats knowing and exploiting his opponents' weaknesses. Gimmick heroes like Iron Man and Hawkeye are easy: Take away Hawkeye's bow and EMP Iron Man's suit. Captain America is trickier because even if you take away his shield he's still an elite trained combatant buffed by a super soldier serum for which the chemical formula has been lost for over 60 years and any attempts to replicate or reverse engineer it have failed. Could Bats take Cap in a straight up fight?

But then you get to the heroes whose abilities override or hide any weaknesses they have. How do you take down a genetically engineered black ops agent like Black Widow? How do you stop the God Thor? How do you curb a berserker fueled by his own rage that doesn't involve strapping his ass to a rocket bound for either the sun or a distant planet? And these are just the 'core' Avengers instead of the multiple guest Avengers the series has had over the years like Spider-Man and Wolverine.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
Man, I have to get in on this.

I think that one-on-one, assuming Batman is the aggressor, the only people he'd have trouble with are Thor, the Hulk, MCU!Vision, and Scarlet Witch.

Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow are all close enough to human that Batman would be on par with them in hand-to-hand. Hawkeye is essentially Green Arrow; Black Widow is just a really good spy. Captain America is an iffy one, because in the comics he's just peak human with an indestructible shield, but in the movies he's explicitly superhuman. That said, Batman has taken on stronger guys before (Killer Croc, Grundy) so it'd be a little way on either side.

Iron Man is kind of a weird one. Batman has built mech suits and power armour before; I think in the fairly recent Endgame arc, he pulls out a truck-sized Bat-Mech and uses it to beat up Wonder Woman, who's a Superman-level heavy hitter. And the thing is, when you think about it the Iron Man suit is not actually that well-designed. Stark puts his power source smack-bang in the middle of his chest, doesn't even bother to armour it. He uses his palm repulsors as his primary weapon despite the fact that it's actually pretty hard to aim at something with your palm; he could just as easily put them on the forearm and make it a lot easier to hit people. Most of his advantages come from the fact that no-one else has an Iron Man suit, or if they do, it's based on his tech but a generation behind. And he relies on the tech too much. In Civil War, as soon as Captain America is in punching range he completely outclasses the guy in the billion-dollar warsuit who never learned how to box. If Captain America could do it bare-handed, Batman could do it in a TDKR-style exoskeleton.

Then you get to the fun ones:

Against Thor, I don't think Batman would have a chance. Thor is essentially Superman but with no kryptonite. It'd be the first two minutes of their fight in BvS, repeated until Thor got bored and left. It's even worse in the comics, where Mjolnir is literally a reality warper.

Hulk is a funny one! Obviously, no, Batman would not be able to beat the Hulk in hand-to-hand. In the comics, no-one can beat the Hulk hand-to-hand. In the MCU, Tony managed it with the Hulkbuster, but that was a suit designed with Banner's own input and designed from the ground-up to wear the Hulk down. And even then, it's implied that the reason the Hulk let his guard down was because Scarlet Witch's mind control wore off.

Now bear with me here, because I still think Batman has a chance against MCU Hulk: he just has to use that magical tetrodotoxin D that Fury uses to fake his death. It was literally designed by Banner to suppress a Hulk-out. So long as he can get to Banner before he...hulks, Batman could just jab that in him, then let Banner fall into a coma for however long.

MCU!Vision is even more of a Superman-expy than Thor is, being vastly more powerful than his comics version (who's just a robot meat shield). Batman would have the same problem he has with Thor. Except even worse, because while Thor is kinda dumb and could theoretically be tricked, Vision is some super-Jarvis AI with an infinity gem for a brain. Maybe he'd be vulnerable to malware? I don't know how Batman would out-hack a super-AI. Batman's not even some excellent hacker; he just has the advantage of owning the company who everyone contracts to build their security system. You'd have to be Brainiac to hack the Vision.

Scarlet Witch is the last one. In the comics she's literally a reality warper, making her incredibly hard to deal with. In the movies she's toned down, but still powerful enough telekinetically to push the Vision down six stories. Batman would basically have to take her out with some kind of tranquilizer before she knew he was there.

Oh shit! I forgot Falcon. Well, he's...he's Falcon. He flies, and he shoots guns, and has a drone thingy...not that he isn't badass, he's plenty badass, but I think Batman could take him down. He's had to deal with fliers before (Man-Bat).

Edit: All the boring people who just say "batman can beat anyone if he has prep, hands down" kind of miss the whole appeal of putting Batman in a versus fight. The whole thing about Batman is that he's the perpetual underdog of the Justice League. They've got heat vision and magic lassos and power rings and the Speed Force; he has a bat costume and a utility belt. When Batman beats up one of his peers - in whatever scenario - it's supposed to be exceptional, not routine.

I mean TDKR - the comic that started the whole Batman-vs-Whoever trend - makes it a pretty clear plot point that Batman was gonna lose. He "won" by pussing out and having a heart attack before Superman inevitably threw off the kryptonite and went back to thrashing him senseless. I don't think "has a heart attack and makes the other guy feel super guilty" is the definition of victory.

HybridChangeling

Dec 13, 2015
Yes, because the worlds greatest detective/fighter/ninja/inventor/genius/billionare/playboy/philanthropist can do basically anything. He has put on power armor connected to his life force (Danny Phantom called yo) and fought through the entire Darksied planet to resurrect his son. He has outsmarted everything and can investigate anything. With the skills of deduction he could probably figure out the following things in a few days of hanging out with them. You know, like how he deduced the exact combinations that were deadly in 1989 Batman in like 3 days.

Iron Man: EMP that could go through his shielding.
Hulk: A serum to shut down his mutation.
Captain America: Power Armor Batsuit, repeatedly punching him the head.
Hawkeye: A pair of scissors to the bowstring
Black Widow: She is a human, right?
Falcon: Supermetal Batarang to the wing
Ant Man: Electric Batarang into the power supply of the suit, shutting it down.
Quicksilver: Ground glue or something, he sprays everywhere.
Thor: Some sort of mass canceler device that makes it barely able to give a good hit AND/OR a glove with Thors dna maybe?
Vision: Force him to his phasing, stick him in wall
Spiderman: Some sort of genetic nanobot that destroys his spider mutation.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
HybridChangeling said:
Yes, because the worlds greatest detective/fighter/ninja/inventor/genius/billionare/playboy/philanthropist can do basically anything. He has put on power armor connected to his life force (Danny Phantom called yo) and fought through the entire Darksied planet to resurrect his son. He has outsmarted everything and can investigate anything. With the skills of deduction he could probably figure out the following things in a few days of hanging out with them. You know, like how he deduced the exact combinations that were deadly in 1989 Batman in like 3 days.

Iron Man: EMP that could go through his shielding.
Hulk: A serum to shut down his mutation.
Captain America: Power Armor Batsuit, repeatedly punching him the head.
Hawkeye: A pair of scissors to the bowstring
Black Widow: She is a human, right?
Falcon: Supermetal Batarang to the wing
Ant Man: Electric Batarang into the power supply of the suit, shutting it down.
Quicksilver: Ground glue or something, he sprays everywhere.
Thor: Some sort of mass canceler device that makes it barely able to give a good hit AND/OR a glove with Thors dna maybe?
Vision: Force him to his phasing, stick him in wall
Spiderman: Some sort of genetic nanobot that destroys his spider mutation.
That would be the least credible and least entertaining series of fights imaginable.

I just said above why I don't get the "batman pulls something out of something that does something else" attitude. It's both hard to believe and completely misses the point of someone like Batman going up against a superhuman in the first place.

I mean, seriously. "Supermetal Batarang?" What supermetal? Is it a super-dense metal? If it is, how does he throw it? Beating Ant-man with a batarang? Using a mass canceller device against Thor? "Some sort of genetic nanobot?" Most of that is just babble. There's no effort involved anywhere there, you're just saying that he'd pull out a thingy that does a thing that beats the other guy.

It's boring, is what I'm saying. It's exactly as boring as Silver Age Superman, because it's using the exact same logic.

HybridChangeling

Dec 13, 2015
bastardofmelbourne said:
That would be the least credible and least entertaining series of fights imaginable.

I just said above why I don't get the "batman pulls something out of something that does something else" attitude. It's both hard to believe and completely misses the point of someone like Batman going up against a superhuman in the first place.

I mean, seriously. "Supermetal Batarang?" What supermetal? Is it a super-dense metal? If it is, how does he throw it? Beating Ant-man with a batarang? Using a mass canceller device against Thor? "Some sort of genetic nanobot?" Most of that is just babble. There's no effort involved anywhere there, you're just saying that he'd pull out a thingy that does a thing that beats the other guy.

It's boring, is what I'm saying. It's exactly as boring as Silver Age Superman, because it's using the exact same logic.
I didn't say it would be exciting, I didn't say it would be cool. That is just how he is written these days. He learns some info, types on a computer, makes a thing that will beat them, and whips it out with some babble about how it works. I wrote this half as a joke because that is how he works these days. I don't feel like creative fight ideas would work with the Batman we have today. So yeah, I guess the satire defense. I'll put in effort when they do.

(Also nobody has a problem with super dense metal when I call it Adamantium.)

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
HybridChangeling said:
I didn't say it would be exciting, I didn't say it would be cool. That is just how he is written these days. He learns some info, types on a computer, makes a thing that will beat them, and whips it out with some babble about how it works. I wrote this half as a joke because that is how he works these days. I don't feel like creative fight ideas would work with the Batman we have today. So yeah, I guess the satire defense. I'll put in effort when they do.
Well, okay. I'll pay that. Sorry if I sounded like I was ripping on you.

HybridChangeling

Dec 13, 2015
bastardofmelbourne said:
Well, okay. I'll pay that. Sorry if I sounded like I was ripping on you.
Hey don't worry man you weren't. That was more just me tiring of the Batman cycle then anything. Sorry if I sounded sarcastic. Rock on pal.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
in theory he could try to do something similar to zemo in civil war but even then it would be difficult for him to take them all out.

Gengisgame

Feb 15, 2015
Depends on the Avengers line-up, if we stick to more famous members

Hulk could potentially be turned into a weapon against the others, he is after all empowered by something that makes him a liability.

Thor would have been tricky until Nick Fury figured out how to make him unworthy, no reason the worlds greatest detective couldn't do the same.

Stark has better Tech than Batman, Batman could win this one and do what he's done before, exploit trust to gain access to that tech beforehand.

Vision has phasing, people with this power tend to get stopped by stupid plot-onium

Wandas a glass cannon

Characters like Cap, Black Widow and Hawkeye are all roughly human level

So he could beat them with plot armor.

HybridChangeling said:
That armor was made be others he no longer has it.

It also has no good feats as the Apokalips there isn't even proper cannon, it was it's own separate story disconnected from what was actually being done as admitted by the writer himself.