Could Star Trek Be Getting A Farmville Clone?

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Could Star Trek Be Getting A Farmville Clone?

The Starship Enterprise is boldly going where no other Federation ship has gone before: The realm of free, browser-based games.

Move over, <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Online-Pc/dp/B002673XJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276542790&sr=8-1>Star Trek Online, there's a new Star Trek web franchise coming to town! This time, it's going to be a series of free-to-play browser games. This morning, Gameforge announced that it had signed a worldwide agreement to publish "free-to-play casual browser games" based on Gene Roddenbury's celebrated creation.

Exactly what type of games Gameforge is working on hasn't exactly been revealed yet, however. Based on the vague information provided, the games could be anything from Trekkie-oriented card games to a full-blown MMOGs along the lines of Farmville.

"Our upcoming Star Trek browser games will further expand our consumer base and market share on an international scale," said Gameforge's CEO, Christoph Jennen. "We are proud that the quality of our games and publishing services enabled us to acquire this license. Our upcoming Star Trek browser games will further expand our consumer base and market share on an international scale."

An MMOG is definitely a possibility, since the publisher's portfolio includes titles like Metin2, OGame, Ikariam, Gates of Andaron, and Gladiatus, but it sounds like the gaming community will have to wait to find out more about this deal until further details are officially revealed.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Hmmm it seems a big step to go from "Browser Based" To "Farmville Clone"

There were in fact browser base games before farmville, believe it or not. ;)

Probably going to be very stats driven, like many other space sims out there these days.

EDIT: Hmm, did not notice the casual reference. Maybe not quit as stats driven than I originally thought then.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
Did you just put farmville in the tittle to get attention, or did you do it to get a kickback?

OT: Neat. Star Trek is a neat franchise, and I do like the story, so I'm a little excited about this.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
So? They already did a MafiaWars-esque version of Red Dead Redemption that way, and no coverage on that.

(Sorry if I sound like a dick, but just wondering why Star Trek got notice while Red Dead Redemption did not. And if you're wondering, I am sort of a Red Dead Redemption fanboy.)

That One Six

Dec 14, 2008
I like Gameforge. I currently play OGame, and, even though it's extremely slow paced, it's kind of addicting.

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
No!!! Leave meh Star Trek off of teh face book!!!

But in all seriousness, really? Star Trek used to stand for something, almost every episode had a message. Granted Star Trek was incredibly cheesy, with Shatner fighting the man in the rubber dinosaur suit and all. But Trekkies expect better from their franchise than just some browser game. WORK TO IMPROVE STAR TREK ONLINE!!! DON'T MAKE A NEW GAME ENTIRELY!!!

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
CloggedDonkey said:
Did you just put farmville in the tittle to get attention, or did you do it to get a kickback?

OT: Neat. Star Trek is a neat franchise, and I do like the story, so I'm a little excited about this.
I'm an attention whore. Sorry.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009

How the hell would that even work?

I think its safe to say that it is going to have nothing to do with it.

Also, im I the only person who thinks that Farmville is just Harvest Moon with most of the content cut down and the only button being left click?

Now I have a compulsion to go Friends of Mineral Town, damn addictive game >_>...

Jun 26, 2009
elricik said:
No!!! Leave meh Star Trek off of teh face book!!!

But in all seriousness, really? Star Trek used to stand for something, almost every episode had a message. Granted Star Trek was incredibly cheesy, with Shatner fighting the man in the rubber dinosaur suit and all. But Trekkies expect better from their franchise than just some browser game. WORK TO IMPROVE STAR TREK ONLINE!!! DON'T MAKE A NEW GAME ENTIRELY!!!
need he say more? I know I agree!

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
vansau said:
CloggedDonkey said:

It's okay. I'm not mad, I understand Farmville is popular and that it will get more attention to whatever it's about, I just hate it with the burning fury of a a thousand white hot suns. Nothing personal, I just really hate how popular that piece of garbage has become so popular.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wow. Sudden or what. Perhaps worth at least a little peak...

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
CloggedDonkey said:

Very tittlating there.
You should know by now that Zynga would want a kickback for their title being mentioned.

On subject, it might be nice to have some scifi alternative out there, though I won't ever touch it. I'm still trying to justify to my inner accountant that I should get STO.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
CloggedDonkey said:
vansau said:
CloggedDonkey said:

It's okay. I'm not mad, I understand Farmville is popular and that it will get more attention to whatever it's about, I just hate it with the burning fury of a a thousand white hot suns. Nothing personal, I just really hate how popular that piece of garbage has become so popular.
If it makes you feel any better, I have yet to play a Facebook game; neither Mafia Wars nor Farmville will ever be added to my accounts. I have grown up addictions. You know, ones that men of discerning palates have. Absinthe. Colombian Nose Candy. High-grade hookers.

...also, Hostess cupcakes.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
As long as it's not as lame as the Zork browser based game, I'll give it a spin. Hell, I'll try any browser based game at least once.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
The Zork browser game hurt. It hurt so very much. I spent a long time looking for the wit, the humor, and the charm that helped me first become a gamer when I was eleven years old.

The browser game was a soulless MMOG that was designed by Activision to get us to shell out as much money as we possibly could without realizing it. Let us never speak of it again.

Sephiwind

Darth Conservative
Aug 12, 2009
Now the question is what Game Forge game will they be using to clone the Star Trek game with?