Could Texas be hit by another big snowstorm?

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
As you know, Texas was hit by a freak snowstorm earlier this year, which caused the power grid to collapse. I'm worried it'll happen again. Do you think it will?

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Less succinctly, I don't think it's going to happen again this year. We [in North Texas] have had some relatively cold days, even resorted to leaving faucets dripping to avoid pipes freezing a couple of times, but they've been relatively few and far between thus far. And the little bit of snow we did get were miniscule flurries that didn't last long enough for any substantive ground cover, i.e.: anything that hit the ground melted immediately. Our pool hasn't frozen over where as this time last year, I could have walked across it.

I hope I'm right, but less worried if I'm wrong because we just recently got a cord of wood delivered which came in at $100 less than the half-cord we'd normally purchased from another vendor. The only thing I'm fearing is having to spend countless hours with a bored 17-year-old boy in the dark.... That sounded lascivious; allow me to clarify: my gf's son, when not preoccupied by his Xbox (he's got a newly minted Series X,) tends to be a pain the in ass when he has nothing to do which, needless to say, is 99% his electronics.

That and ERCOT claims to have tightened up and are better prepared this year, but we'll have to wait and see what "better" means. Having a snakc-pack of peanuts on a deserted island following a plane crash is technically "better" than not having said peanuts.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Day 1: Some over 30,000 outages reported already in north Texas, but they're fixing them quickly as crews were dispatched and spread out before the freezing rain hit; down to around 22,000 now. Roads are a mess of ice, sleet and snow. Not a massive accumulation of snow, but we're expecting 2"-3" by tomorrow.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Texas is at 37k outages, behind Tennessee at 145k and Ohio at 50k. I guess that's good? Maybe?