Could V for Vendetta challenge the government of 1984

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
hermes said:
Yeah, I know they say so little about the outside world, and they put the reader in such a state of distrust and paranoia, that thinking that is entirely plausible. In fact, there could be nothing but ocean outside Britain and this lie being constructed to enforce loyalty and spot dissidents. In fact, if we are paranoid enough, the entire story could be in a different city that only calls themselves London because the government induce them to. The whole novel could be taking part in a floating city ala Dark City for the amount of information we are given...

That is the problem with that theory: yes, it is plausible, and given the lies spew by the government, the reader tends to be open to the possibility. But there is no proof to support one theory over another outside of paranoia and the fact the party would be unabashed of such a feat.
For the most part, that's true. I'm given to believe that it takes place in London at the very least, because Winston still has vague memories of life before Party rule, and recalls sheltering in underground train stations.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
V may have toppled the facist goverment of Adam Susan, but if possible could he challenge the governmant of the novel 1984, "The Party"?

If anyone loves these 2 pieces of work, speculate?

Can V challenge and even topple Ingsoc and Big Brother?

Or are they too powerful and influential even for him?
Since they can't even spell "Strength", they should not be that much of a challenge. (Unless that's the joke, since it is paired with ignorance.)

:p

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
It's hard to tell because the whole point of 1984 is that you don't really know what's going on. Maybe Oceania really is at war with two other super powers and controls The Americas, the British Isles and South Africa. Maybe it actually controls the entire world and keeps talking about the war to keep people busy. Maybe it's actually a tiny little nation a-la North Korea and the rest of the world is normal and it's just spewing bullshit.

If it was the North Korea case then MAYBE but unlikely, as with the other cases, it's a flat out no.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
COMaestro said:
It's Newspeak. The government is shown to want to control every last aspect of the lives of their people, to the point where they try to discourage sex that isn't purely for the sake of procreation. Newspeak is a very dumbed down version of the English language that sounds like it came from a flunked out eighth grader, and the government is constantly trying to push it into the people. It's said that it would take decades to fully integrate it, but it was already starting to catch on.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
JoJo said:
Happyninja42 said:
Well, never read/saw 1984, but the wiki synopsis of it speaks of an organized group that doesn't buy into the hype of Big Brother, and have been working against them for some time. So there is a version of V already in place to some degree.

I don't think V himself would take down the 1984 government himself, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did something like in the story where he galvanizes the people to resist and rebel. I mean, the main character of 1984 did this of his own accord, so it's not like 100% of the population buys the propaganda. Give enough rousing speeches, leak information showing how the government is directly working against the population to keep them subjugated. Show that they are openly lying about important things, and eventually people would rebel. I mean, there was already an organized group doing exactly that in the story so...yeah not really sure why this is such an "out there" idea.
Well, about that organised group, spoilers:

The 'group' that the protagonist Winston gets recruited by turns out to be a sting operation by the government. It's left ambiguous whether a real resistance group does exist, or whether they're all a fiction invented by the government to lure in wrongthinkers.
And that is also an interesting question that throws confusion to the actions and methods of the government.

Are the people they catch really wrongthinkers at heart like they had these thoughts at all or are government purposely making wrongthinkers out of completely innocent people like they want certain people to be Wrongthinkers?
Did the story imply that the government was intentionally exposing the protagonist to the true history sources to try and get him to look into them on his own? Or was it implied that his inquiry was a genuine personal investigation into the subject? If the former then....well I don't really know why they would do that, as it seems silly to intentionally provoke people to rebel, only to punish them for rebelling. But it's a distopian future so logic doesn't apply much. If it's the latter, then it's reasonable to assume that someone is going to resist. Also, is this government United Kingdom only? The wiki didn't specify if this was a global society or just that one country. If it's one nation, then we're basically talking about North Korea, and plenty of outside sources could push to incite rebellion, just like we do today. And plenty of people inside NK try to get away, and resist the regime they live under, even after generations of being spoon fed bullshit.

And even if it is a global society, I still think that humanity would rebel to some degree or other no matter what, and that eventually they would push back in a significant way. And if they had charismatic, bombastic, in your face kind of figureheads like V, that would be more likely to happen.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Happyninja42 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
JoJo said:
Happyninja42 said:
Well, never read/saw 1984, but the wiki synopsis of it speaks of an organized group that doesn't buy into the hype of Big Brother, and have been working against them for some time. So there is a version of V already in place to some degree.

I don't think V himself would take down the 1984 government himself, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did something like in the story where he galvanizes the people to resist and rebel. I mean, the main character of 1984 did this of his own accord, so it's not like 100% of the population buys the propaganda. Give enough rousing speeches, leak information showing how the government is directly working against the population to keep them subjugated. Show that they are openly lying about important things, and eventually people would rebel. I mean, there was already an organized group doing exactly that in the story so...yeah not really sure why this is such an "out there" idea.
Well, about that organised group, spoilers:

The 'group' that the protagonist Winston gets recruited by turns out to be a sting operation by the government. It's left ambiguous whether a real resistance group does exist, or whether they're all a fiction invented by the government to lure in wrongthinkers.
And that is also an interesting question that throws confusion to the actions and methods of the government.

Are the people they catch really wrongthinkers at heart like they had these thoughts at all or are government purposely making wrongthinkers out of completely innocent people like they want certain people to be Wrongthinkers?
Did the story imply that the government was intentionally exposing the protagonist to the true history sources to try and get him to look into them on his own? Or was it implied that his inquiry was a genuine personal investigation into the subject? If the former then....well I don't really know why they would do that, as it seems silly to intentionally provoke people to rebel, only to punish them for rebelling. But it's a distopian future so logic doesn't apply much. If it's the latter, then it's reasonable to assume that someone is going to resist. Also, is this government United Kingdom only? The wiki didn't specify if this was a global society or just that one country. If it's one nation, then we're basically talking about North Korea, and plenty of outside sources could push to incite rebellion, just like we do today. And plenty of people inside NK try to get away, and resist the regime they live under, even after generations of being spoon fed bullshit.

And even if it is a global society, I still think that humanity would rebel to some degree or other no matter what, and that eventually they would push back in a significant way. And if they had charismatic, bombastic, in your face kind of figureheads like V, that would be more likely to happen.
I might be remembering stuff wrong, but I think it is closer to the later. Some of the elements are unearthed by the protagonist, but when he tries to inconspicuously run away with the information and contact the resistance, he discovers (too late), that the resistance is also part of the party. The logic behind it is that the party is aware some people are not gullible enough to remain loyal, so they created the rumor of a resistance so that once someone tried to rebel and contact them, they would be singled out easier.

The book defined the geography but it is also intentionally vague in terms of geopolitics. We are told that we live in Oceania, which includes most of the western hemisphere, and there are another two "countries", one of which we are constantly at war with (which one changes in the middle of the book and few people seems to notice). Of course, given that almost all that information is given by the official propaganda means, and we never actually go outside the city, all that information about the world is very unreliable. At some point, though some subversive book within the book, we are given to believe the other countries do exist but are into charades of their own, so while the war is real, the balance of power is never changed. Please take into consideration that the subversive book is also revealed to be written by the party so... yeah.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Fox12 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Fox12 said:
WhiteFangofWar said:
Unlikely. Ingsoc has had a lot more time to 'dig in' and make seditious thoughts something that all its people consciously (or learn to subconsciously) avoid, even managing to remove from their language a lot of the very words and meanings V uses in his erudite speeches. He draws on a lot of old culture to raise the people's revolutionary spirit, but Oceania's culture was stripped from it some time ago.
Not necessarily. The only people who were excessively brainwashed were the party members. The proles were just kept sort of dumb. It would be a long shot, but V could potentially reach out to them. They would just need a figure to rally around.

It would be hard, though. Oceania is much larger then England by itself. Even if V got England to rebel, he'd essentially have the entire world attacking him. After all, the other two countries wouldn't want him getting in their way either.
IF those other two "countries" even exists.
I don't see any reason to think that they don't. War prisoners are brought into the nation on trial throughout the whole story, so Oceania is clearly at war with SOMEONE. Furthermore, constant warfare is used as fuel for propaganda, presumably by all three nations. I don't see why Oceania would need to make up several countries in order to fuel propaganda, when real countries serve just as well. The existence of Goldstein may be debatable, but I don't think the existence of the other two countries is ever called into question within the text.
But I have read from somewhwere that there is some possibility that all this is a ruse.

The War Prisoners are just party members posing as such.

That the government is perhaps just in the UK regions and they are isolated from the rest of the World (Think Japan during the Edo Period)

All the propaganda that Oceania encompassing the Americas and the Pacific and england along with constant wars against these other 2 powers is all a lie to manipulate the people into thinking this is the world they live in.
I'll have to look that up. It's been a long time since I read 1984, so I may be forgetting something. That would be an awesome idea for a book, though. If that's the case, then yeah, I think V would stand a pretty good chance.

That said, I thought the state held public executions? Wasn't that in there somewhere? And I'm pretty sure the prisoners were implied to be from India or China, as opposed to the presumably mostly white England area. Didn't the main character remember the party rising to power when he was a small child? The party couldn't be more then a few decades old, if that's the case. Damn, I need read that book again now. I guess I'll be visiting Barnes and Noble later : P

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Fox12 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Fox12 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Fox12 said:
WhiteFangofWar said:
Unlikely. Ingsoc has had a lot more time to 'dig in' and make seditious thoughts something that all its people consciously (or learn to subconsciously) avoid, even managing to remove from their language a lot of the very words and meanings V uses in his erudite speeches. He draws on a lot of old culture to raise the people's revolutionary spirit, but Oceania's culture was stripped from it some time ago.
Not necessarily. The only people who were excessively brainwashed were the party members. The proles were just kept sort of dumb. It would be a long shot, but V could potentially reach out to them. They would just need a figure to rally around.

It would be hard, though. Oceania is much larger then England by itself. Even if V got England to rebel, he'd essentially have the entire world attacking him. After all, the other two countries wouldn't want him getting in their way either.
IF those other two "countries" even exists.
I don't see any reason to think that they don't. War prisoners are brought into the nation on trial throughout the whole story, so Oceania is clearly at war with SOMEONE. Furthermore, constant warfare is used as fuel for propaganda, presumably by all three nations. I don't see why Oceania would need to make up several countries in order to fuel propaganda, when real countries serve just as well. The existence of Goldstein may be debatable, but I don't think the existence of the other two countries is ever called into question within the text.
But I have read from somewhwere that there is some possibility that all this is a ruse.

The War Prisoners are just party members posing as such.

That the government is perhaps just in the UK regions and they are isolated from the rest of the World (Think Japan during the Edo Period)

All the propaganda that Oceania encompassing the Americas and the Pacific and england along with constant wars against these other 2 powers is all a lie to manipulate the people into thinking this is the world they live in.
I'll have to look that up. It's been a long time since I read 1984, so I may be forgetting something. That would be an awesome idea for a book, though. If that's the case, then yeah, I think V would stand a pretty good chance.

That said, I thought the state held public executions? Wasn't that in there somewhere? And I'm pretty sure the prisoners were implied to be from India or China, as opposed to the presumably mostly white England area. Didn't the main character remember the party rising to power when he was a small child? The party couldn't be more then a few decades old, if that's the case. Damn, I need read that book again now. I guess I'll be visiting Barnes and Noble later : P
The main character Winston Smith "claims" to remember the party forming, but its implied whether he does remember it or its something that party imprinted in his head. Like I remember reading a part saying he does not remember or vaguely remembers his childhood.

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
V doubleplus Ungood. V ante unperson. V unsub in miniluv. bb doubleplus good.

That's about what I think on the matter to those able to translate that. I wrote it in newspeak.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
God said:

That's about what I think on the matter to those able to translate that. I wrote it in newspeak.
God said:

V is REALLY not good. V "was" an un-person? Send V to the Ministry of Love. Big Brother is really REALLY good.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The whole point of 1984 is that even thought is monitored. Winston never stood a chance. V wouldn't either.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Johnny Novgorod said:
The whole point of 1984 is that even thought is monitored. Winston never stood a chance. V wouldn't either.
It's monitored among the Outer Party, sure, but not the Proles (or at least, not extensively). Winston was quite probably right when he thought that if there was hope, it lay there.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silvanus said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
It's monitored among the Outer Party, sure, but not the Proles (or at least, not extensively). Winston was quite probably right when he thought that if there was hope, it lay there.
Yeah but then in 1984's paradigm the Proles are depicted as fairly knockabout, I doubt V would be successful in riling them up.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Silvanus said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
But a problem is that the Proles don't organize, and in fact can't given how the system is set up. That's the whole reason they aren't monitored to a noteworthy level: they aren't a threat to the Party. They're too busy trying to get by day-to-day and maybe get their hands on one of life's small pleasures outside of basic necessities to even have the idea cross their minds.

And hell even if they did organize the Party controls all distribution directly, meaning that any uprising would simply require a few places being blockaded and them left to starve. It's not like their no longer taking part in the system would be missed, their labour is mostly wasted intentionally on things which will create no value. For all we know Prole uprisings are common but are dealt with with efficiency through quarantine and starvation.

The world of 1984 was hopeless, with the only real hope is that someday the system will eventually reach its braking point and collapse. The hope in the Proles seems more Orwell making a statement about reality then the story itself, and if you ask some they'd argue he was right (and others would say the opposite. Say what one will about it being a good or bad thing, but there's a reason why it's the working and lower class supporting people like Alternative for Deutschland, Freedom Party of Austria, Leave and Trump. People with nothing to loose tend to be the first to take action)

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
God said:

God said:

V is REALLY not good. V "was" an un-person? Send V to the Ministry of Love. Big Brother is really REALLY good.
Yeah pretty much its more before he becomes an unperson though by the way did you look up the translation or translate it yourself?

Sean Renaud

Apr 12, 2011
Fox12 said:
That's just it, we don't see any real reason to believe that those are genuine war prisoners and not just guys they snatched up and declared war prisoners. We don't even know if those other two nations exist in the first place because the information we get is SO unreliable in 1984 that we know pretty close to nothing with any certainty.

As for the original question could V defeat Ingsoc? Well V is the hero, as someone stated above the man is on God Mode and makes a lot of plays that work out primarily because protagonist armor is some thick shit to overcome. In no particular order Evee NEVER turns on him despite ample reason and opportunity, nobody shoots him in the head or even a shot to his arms that would render him unable to knife nut everybody to death. That many men that many bullets it's less a matter of one of them being bright enough to "think outside the box" and more one of them not controling their aim perfectly in their excitement. And the police are not portrayed as being particularly inept, not catching up ever is also a bit odd. Anyway I'm digressing.

Ingsoc was completely dug in to the point that nobody remembered what freedom even was. So the arrival of a V is unlikely. On the other hand it seems like as smoothly as shit is running in Ingsoc the moment a single thing goes wrong for them it's all gonna fall to shit on it's own. You don't need V to tear down an evil but ultimately stable society. You need a bad winter to starve the proles into being more interested in toppling the machine than breathing.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Sean Renaud said:
Ingsoc was completely dug in to the point that nobody remembered what freedom even was. So the arrival of a V is unlikely. On the other hand it seems like as smoothly as shit is running in Ingsoc the moment a single thing goes wrong for them it's all gonna fall to shit on it's own. You don't need V to tear down an evil but ultimately stable society. You need a bad winter to starve the proles into being more interested in toppling the machine than breathing.
While that's generally true, in the case of 1984, as I understand it, it wasn't just that the people thought Big Brother was a good thing, it was that they were left unable to conceptualise there being anything wrong with it. Sure, people might be starving, but the idea of blaming The Party might not occur.

Of course, how successfully you could get that sort of thing to work is another issue.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
From how I understand it the Ingsoc government is very much like the Legislaturist government in the People's Republic of Haven, in the Honorverse. That means V would never be able to topple the government by himself, or even with the help of the proles. Like with the PRH I'm pretty sure that Ingsoc would cluster bomb a large dissident movement within the mob... Which means the only way Ingsoc would fall would be like...

...Rob S. Pierre's coup against the Legislaturists, in which he couldn't count on using the Doleists(Proles/underclass) to do the dirty work. He had to organize people in powerful positions and use a lot of black market acquired goods. At which point he had to assassinate basically all the Legislaturists in Neuvouz Paris. Then he had to institute his own government, The Committee of Public Safety, and a reign of terror to purge the remaining Legislaturists and loyalists. The Committee of Public Safety was functionally the same as the old Legislaturists system, if more brutal, sacrificing any failed Committee member or military officer to appease the mob.

Which of course lead to...

...A series of attempted coups by various groups, including a particularly nasty one by a group called 'The Levelers' which ended with Admiral McQueen cluster bombing civilian crowds. It got to a point where the treachery was so endemic and the paranoia so high, no one except for the core members of the Committee, like Rob Pierre and Oscar Saint-Just were safe from public execution within the PRH. But the instability and necessary placement of traitorous types, like McQueen as the secretary of the Navy caused no one to be safe. To the point where Rob Pierre was likely killed along with McQueen and everyone else in Haven's Naval Headquarters, the Octagon, when Oscar Saint-Just detonated the thermonuclear bomb in the Octagon's basement. Due to the attempted naval coup started by McQueen. Which left Oscar Sain-Just as the sole remaining member of the Committee of Public Safety... His actions and indiscressions finally got him killed by admiral Thomas Theisman, which finally toppled the despotic tyrant communist system of Haven and allowed for the restoration of the Republic.

But none of that would have been possible without...

...The build up to the war with the Star Kingdom of Manticore, the single most powerful military that the People's Republic of Haven faced in the string of conquests to keep it's economy afloat. The initiation of the war allowed the Legislaturists to be killed off, it's on going nature and the havoc the Manticorans and their allies caused allowing for the Committee of Public Safety to become destabilized. Without that particular issue the focus of both governments would never have slipped enough to allow for the coups to happen in the first place... Still they were unavoidable due to the fact that Haven couldn't float it;s own economy with out conquering other star nations and looting their economies to pay Haven's debts and the ever rising "Basic Living Stipend" which the Doleists relied on.

So with the nature of such totalitarian states, where the people don't remember anything prior to the broken system they have... You need a serious external threat to allow the internal threats to gain power in the system, fester, and eventually topple the system.