could you recommend me a medieval RTS?

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Hi all, I've had a gaming PC for a number of months now, and my favourite PC game from back when system requirements were practically non-existent (and so I could play them) was Stronghold, (I've bought the re-release on Steam as well) so I was quite excited to see Stronghold 3 on Steam, and 66% off too, I promptly bought it, and while I can't say I don't like it, it's nowhere near as good as the first one, the missions seem really....directed, if that makes sense, like you have to use the exact strategy the developers were thinking of to win this battle or that. and the way the story is presented just loses something.

So yeah anyway with this game series as a point of reference could you recommend some other good ones? Thanks.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
The closest thing I have to that is an old game called Castle Strike. It's 10 years old, I have no idea if it's good or even still purchasable, but it did let you customize your castle in a match.

Apart from that, the only thing I have are the Empire Earth games (including Empires: Dawn of the Modern World) if you limit yourself to the Middle Ages, and Medieval 1 & 2: Total War, which I hope you've heard of.

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
Medieval Total War would be a solid choice. It might be a bit ugly by today's standards though.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Poppy JR. said:
Medieval Total War would be a solid choice. It might be a bit ugly by today's standards though.
That doesn't look like the highest settings to me. The Total War games have always been graphical beasts for their time and even Medieval 2 looks better than that on today's machines

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
Exterminas said:
Poppy JR. said:
That doesn't look like the highest settings to me. The Total War games have always been graphical beasts for their time and even Medieval 2 looks better than that on today's machines
You're probably right. However, the first one runs dirt cheap now, especially if you can get a copy used. I haven't checked, but I but that's true for the second too.

Fellstorm

Jan 28, 2013
Age of the Empires 2 HD edition on Steam, would be by far the most obvious choice. Huge player base, epic game etc etc etc...
I dont need to review it, I'm sure everyone remembers how brilliant it is.

cahtush

Jul 7, 2010
Poppy JR. said:
Exterminas said:
Poppy JR. said:
You're probably right. However, the first one runs dirt cheap now, especially if you can get a copy used. I haven't checked, but I but that's true for the second too.
The second one also has a really great modding scene.
Third Age, Stainless Steel, Broken Crescent and the soon to be released Europa Barbarorum 2 just to name a few.

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
cahtush said:
Poppy JR. said:
Exterminas said:
Poppy JR. said:
The second one also has a really great modding scene.
Third Age, Stainless Steel, Broken Crescent and the soon to be released Europa Barbarorum 2 just to name a few.
I totally forgot about modding! If the second one has a more active modding scene, then grab that one over the first by all means. After I posted about the prices, I took a look. They go for roughly the same price used on Amazon, so there's no clear advantage price-wise. Modding trumps all, though.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Oly J said:
So yeah anyway with this game series as a point of reference could you recommend some other good ones? Thanks.
Sure, i have tons of game to recommend you. I will start with the one most like stronghold and they will get lesser like stronghold from there:
The Settlers (Die Siedler)
Anno 1404
Age of Empires 2
Spellforce (more fantasy but fantastic game)
Medieval 2
Crusader Kings 2

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Orange12345 said:
age of empires 2? it's the most beloved of the age series and for good reason
This dude wins the thread!

I loved age of empires 2, was an awesome game.

You start with nothing, you have like 4 villagers who can pick berries, herd sheep and fight with pitch forks (or something) and then you research stuff, build buildings etc and progress through ages, from dark age, feudal age, castle age and imperial age .... Going from bows and arrows to muskets.

So many hours playing that game ... and when you get bored or really stuck they have some quite cool cheats, like a car that goes like stink and fires stones like a machine gun or furious the monkey boy!

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
If you don't mind older games, try Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns and Kohan: Ahriman's Gift. Brilliant, challenging gameplay with multiple campaigns.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I kind of get it. One day I just had to play a Dune-based game. So I had to get Civ IV and it's expansions and then the Dune mod for that, and played it for a few hours and did get the fix I craved.

But really an RTS is an RTS, regardless of how it is skinned. I played Brutal Legend which is kind of an RTS between differing genre's of heavy metal music and that totally worked--I wished its RTS elements had been developed further. Maybe it was just me.

I think Age of Empires II is your answer. But there is a lot of better RTSs out there... and if you've already played them and want to go back to AoE2, well you gotta really be Jonesing for Medieval battle strategy. Does it have to be RTS? I've never played Crusader Kings but keep meaning to.