Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Brings Anti-Terrorism Back to PC and Consoles

MitchyD

Feb 11, 2008
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Brings Anti-Terrorism Back to PC and Consoles

Half-Life 3 anticipation briefly subsided as Valve announces brings Counter-Strike back to consoles and PC.

Valve's biggest multiplayer franchise is going multiplatform next year with Counter-Strike: Global Offensive [http://store.steampowered.com/app/1800/] hitting Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network, PC and Mac. If you're in attendance during the Penny Arcade Expo 2011 (August 26-28) or the Eurogamer Expo 2011 (September 22-25), you'll be among the first who get a chance to play it.

Hidden Path Entertainment is working alongside Valve on Global Offensive, which brings new maps, modes, weapons and characters with classic Counter-Strike favorites, including the inimitable de_dust multiplayer map. This reveal comes some 12 years after the launch of the original game, which is the long-time leader in Steam's most-played games list.

CS is the biggest first-person shooter franchise this side of Call of Duty, with more more than 25 million notches on its "copies sold" belt. It should be interesting to see how the past decade of online FPSs affects the direction of CS's objective-oriented multiplayer, or if it'll keep its feet firmly planted in the past while modernizing older ideas. Hey, it worked for Team Fortress 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/2312-Review-Team-Fortress-2].

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is set for an unspecified (come on, it's Valve) "early 2012" release date.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Looks interesting. I never played CS: Source, so this might be the best time for me to jump in and see what the hubbub is all about.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
Team Fortress 2: War-themed hat simulator.
Counter Strike: Global Offensive: Tactical combat-themed hat simulator [http://i.imgur.com/PMAqD.jpg].

Early 2012 also means sometime in 2014, provided they don't proclaim any delays between now and then.

Still, it'll be neat to see how the game has changed.

EDIT: Added hardcore leaked photo, totally not photoshopped. I can tell, I've seen quite a few shops in my time.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
I dont know, I have heard a lot of bad things about css, well the players anyway.
I should get it though, even if its just for some gmod textures >.<

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
WHAT!? Finally! Always been a huge fan of CS. Glad to see they're finally revisiting it again.

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
I so called this I've died inside...

And my TF2 new hat count is up to about 25, only another 8975 to go before HL2:ep3 or whatever they'll end up calling it, probably "we ran out of crap hats to make"

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
Ah, shit, I just posted a thread about this in the forums, and I didn't think about actually writing it as an article... :(

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
henritje said:
dear Gabe
please be shittin us 99.99% of Valve fans want ep3 not CS
*Smacks henritje* Shut up! What if he hears you and decides to not release CS or Ep3?

Don't listen to him Gabe. Bring us CS... yes... that's fine...

What? All players have to kill someone close to them before we'll get Episode 3?

*thinks*

How close does it have to be?

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
You know why this happend? Because that one guy on stage at that convention asked Gabe when Counter Stiker 2 would be out and Gabe "um er um but we have to ship Portal 2 and DOTA 2 first!"

Dam you man I cannot remember the name of; ASK FOR EP3 NEXT TIME

*EDIT* Found the video *EDIT*

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
This is bullshit. We've needed a Half-Life sequel longer than we've wanted a Counter-Strike sequel.

By the way, what's the betting it's going to have a store where you pay money for useless topical additions? Mann Co., Portal 2 store, CS store ... what next? Left 4 Dead Black Market? Half-Life 2 store? VALVe I think is starting to lose their edge.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
The Gentleman said:
henritje said:
dear Gabe
please be shittin us 99.99% of Valve fans want ep3 not CS
*Smacks henritje* Shut up! What if he hears you and decides to not release CS or Ep3?

Don't listen to him Gabe. Bring us CS... yes... that's fine...

What? All players have to kill someone close to them before we'll get Episode 3?

*thinks*

How close does it have to be?
my point is a shit ton of content was released after EP2 without a word on ep3
99% of the TF2 content
L4D
L4D2
Portal 2
also they are working on DOTA 2
in that time they could have ended the HL2 story.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Could they instead remake one of the good Source projects? CS was shittiest and most boring of them all. Desert Crisis, Natural Selection, Vampire Slayer all a thousand times more ineresting and fun.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
So how will this be different from CS:S?

If this has ADS (Aim Down Sights mechanic) then I think Activision has got a serious contender, if valve plays their cards right.

COD already owed a huge debt to CS to get where it is and all it is doing at them moment it's clear people are getting fed up of all the bullshit COD brought to the formula like all the game paralysing killstreaks (also stopping power + jug gone).

EDIT: I think there is a market for a "purer" competitive FPS game that can beat COD on price.

Cut out all the dross of camping/rushing for several kills then paralysing the game with a chopper gunner or cutting the map in half with a napalm strike.

Focus on the pure gameplay, the the first person face-to-face, toe-to-toe combat.

COD has a problem with the retail-console system that means they only get about $17 for every $60 game they sell. Then they screw the community with multiple $15 map packs.

But on the XBLA model (where Microsoft takes a 30% cut) it is easy to sell a $20 game for about the same amount as a retail disc game ($14 vs $17) yet at $20 you could arguably appeal to many many more customers and sell to them far more directly.

I'd say sell this game for $24.99 and advertise it as a purer shooter than COD.

Replace killstreaks with "team buffs" that don't directly kill but DO help your team get kills, like radar, damage boosts, sentry guns. Things that emphasise teamwork.

vermin_

May 16, 2011
Clearly You didnt play competetive CS... :)

Becouse CS isn't a pub game, it's a mix game. Period.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Loved 1.6 and the previous iterations. Couldn't give two poo(s) to CSS, moved to Battlefield games and the like, but knowing Valve, and the solid updates to the source engine, I suppose this new CS will be a splendid experience as long as they keep the fundamental gameplay. CS is somewhere between Unreal Tournament and Rainbow Six in terms of realism and aesthetics. Though I don't think I will complain with whatever changes Valve brings to the table, as long as no zombies are included in this game.

Gamerfrag

Aug 8, 2011
I'm all for a new CS, always loved the game but It raises some questions as to why its coming to Xbox only as a arcade title and not a regular release.

Nov 7, 2009
MapTa said:
Oh god, please let there be no cross-platform multiplayer. Please.
I COULDN'T FATHOM PLAYING WITH LOWLY CONSOLE/PC (delete as appropriate) GAMERS! D:

OT: Looks good. I'd figured they'd be done with Source by now, but apparently not, unless it's on a new engine (which is doubtful, or they would have announced it). Still, looking forward to it, even if it is going to come out in 2298.