Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Brings Anti-Terrorism Back to PC and Consoles

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
shabobble said:
8-Bit Grin said:
Cross platform multiplayer could potentially unbalance the game.

Sorry, console players (who I'm also among), but when you're facing an opponent armed with a mouse they tend to have the edge.
At CS? I could kick a PC player's ass on my console any day.
hahahahaha, sorry it had to be said. You take on a serious pc player in cs with a controller your going to get a surprise, you probably are good but not that good, I promise.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
MapTa said:
Oh god, please let there be no cross-platform multiplayer. Please.
But, it's the only way I'll be able to play it with my friends.
8-Bit Grin said:

Sorry, console players (who I'm also among), but when you're facing an opponent armed with a mouse they tend to have the edge.
You can use a mouse and keyboard on the PS3, and we know Microsoft won't allow it.

Did I just make your argument invalid?

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
ResonanceGames said:
Shadowrun was a perfect example of why cross-plat doesn't work with competitive FPS games. Something like L4D might be OK though.

I'm actually looking forward to this game a lot. All the hardcore CS players will hate it and go back to their previous version of choice, of course -- which is fine. It's not like Valve is cancelling those games and forcing everyone to play this one.
Why would they hate it? They haven't done anything but said they are updating the game with new maps and weapons. As someone who's played in cal-im (competitive league if you don't know) I'm estatatic for an update. Hopefully they will keep it true to the original and just tweak it a bit.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
Techno Squidgy said:
shabobble said:
8-Bit Grin said:

I'm going to side with 8-bit Grin here and say you would probably be at a distinct disadvantage. Until a cross-platform game is released it's hard to say for definite though.
Use a controller on a PC game, it'll be close enough.

Oh, and Unreal Tournament is cross-platform if I remember correctly. That or they just let you use a mouse and keyboard on the PS3.

Balobo

Nov 30, 2009
shabobble said:
8-Bit Grin said:
shabobble said:
8-Bit Grin said:
*snip* ...when you're facing an opponent armed with a mouse they tend to have the edge.
You have to keep in mind that I said they'd have an 'edge', not that it would be a flawless victory for PC gamers.

A mouse simply lends a bit more freedom to the movement of the reticule in my opinion, and I feel that it could create some problems.
While you have a point in the general case, I know of a number of console players like myself that know the mechanics of Counter-Strike so well, that any wanna-be still using a PC won't be able to come close to challenging.
What do you mean "wanna-be still using a PC"? The word "still" confuses me the most, as a lot of PC gamers have systems far beyond consoles. Please elaborate.

Oh, and the mechanics of Counter-Strike aren't really that hard to master. PC gamers will have the benefit of faster turns and stuff.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I wonder if they will add iron sights, killstreak like rewards, and perks? That'll piss off the hardcore CS fanbase (and give me endless hours of joy from watching them foam at the mouth...)

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
This is the third fucking time they've remade CS, valve has gone from god tier developer to hat tier. I'm awaiting the retarded banana hats. There's probably going to be iron sights as well.

the only thing that might save it is if I can kick console players asses, combining the children of cs and the children of Xbox live would be amazing.

zacattack14

Apr 3, 2010
So in the time between HL 2 and HL 3, Valve has successfully released sequels to every single other franchise they have, plus a new franchise and DOTA. That's hilarious

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
I am firmly in the camp that a new Counter Strike is a much better thing than the next Half Life instalment. I never got into Half Life but I had good times on CS, looking forward to this, other than TF2 might be the only thing to get me playing an FPS again.

Also ANY AND ALL arguments involving PC players Vs Console players and who would win are invalid until a well balanced cross platform game comes out, and there is god damn video evidence. Until you can literally prove you can beat PC players on a console or console players on a PC there is no point even mentioning it. Ever.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
WanderingFool said:
I wonder if they will add iron sights, killstreak like rewards, and perks? That'll piss off the hardcore CS fanbase (and give me endless hours of joy from watching them foam at the mouth...)
Valve adding iron sights?

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
Mr. Gency said:
Techno Squidgy said:
shabobble said:
8-Bit Grin said:

I'm going to side with 8-bit Grin here and say you would probably be at a distinct disadvantage. Until a cross-platform game is released it's hard to say for definite though.

Oh, and Unreal Tournament is cross-platform if I remember correctly. That or they just let you use a mouse and keyboard on the PS3.
Not going to happen, do you tink any pc gamer would buy this game if they were forced to use a controller? Yea there would be nerd rage and valve is not that stupid. UT was orginally a pc only release and I wasn't even aware they released it on the ps3 (or why? wasn't it like 5 years old when the ps3 came out? yea because there was ut2k3 so ut must of been 2001-2 ish).

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
Weslebear said:
I am firmly in the camp that a new Counter Strike is a much better thing than the next Half Life instalment. I never got into Half Life but I had good times on CS, looking forward to this, other than TF2 might be the only thing to get me playing an FPS again.

Also ANY AND ALL arguments involving PC players Vs Console players and who would win are invalid until a well balanced cross platform game comes out, and there is god damn video evidence. Until you can literally prove you can beat PC players on a console or console players on a PC there is no point even mentioning it. Ever.
LISTEN TO THIS PERSON!

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
Richard Allen said:
ResonanceGames said:
Shadowrun was a perfect example of why cross-plat doesn't work with competitive FPS games. Something like L4D might be OK though.

I'm actually looking forward to this game a lot. All the hardcore CS players will hate it and go back to their previous version of choice, of course -- which is fine. It's not like Valve is cancelling those games and forcing everyone to play this one.
Why would they hate it? They haven't done anything but said they are updating the game with new maps and weapons. As someone who's played in cal-im (competitive league if you don't know) I'm estatatic for an update. Hopefully they will keep it true to the original and just tweak it a bit.
Hardcore Counter-Strike players are the most notoriously whiny, change-hating people on the planet. There are people who still think 1.6 is some abomination, and that 1.4 (or whichever) was the second coming of Jesustits Presley. Don't even mention CSS to most of them.

I guess that kind of obsessive personality is the reason they're so good at the game and still play it after 12+ years, but they aren't exactly lovely people to converse with. In fact, they should just all be banned from any CS discussion outside their clans, because everyone else on the planet is sick of hearing their tired complaints.

/rant

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
Weslebear said:

Shadowrun and http://www.zdnet.com/blog/computers/are-pc-gamers-better-than-console-players/3386 are pretty good examples. The fact that most console fps have some aim assist turned on by default is another good indication.

Edit: Also go play halo 2 for the pc. I think you'll find it easy to beat even on legendary.

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
ResonanceGames said:
Richard Allen said:
ResonanceGames said:

Hardcore Counter-Strike players are the most notoriously whiny, change-hating people on the planet. There are people who still think 1.6 is some abomination, and that 1.4 (or whichever) was the second coming of Jesustits Presley. Don't even mention CSS to most of them.

I guess that kind of obsessive personality is the reason they're so good at the game and still play it after 12+ years, but they aren't exactly lovely people to converse with. In fact, they should just all be banned from any CS discussion outside their clans, because everyone else on the planet is sick of hearing their tired complaints.

/rant
I think you should replace cs gamers with gamers. Every group has it's vocal critics of change, CS:S was very popular and still is. Last time I checked there were more source games available on line then 1.6.

Edit: everyone has their own experiences for sure but I played in cal-im as I said before and I never heard much complaining from anyone. A few balance issues at first and a few other minor grievances but for the most part was well received.

Jack_the_Knife

Nov 8, 2008
I just hope they don't force "aiming down the sights" for all guns as a "modernization"

It's irrelevant when you have an opaque crosshair. I don't need sights to verify what I decided to center my screen on.

I'm also a bit concerned about the rumored "5 v. 5" thing from the ESEA report. I guess I always just loved the big 24 v 24 matches, you know, "6 harass B, 6 go up center and 12 of us will rush Long A" kind of deals.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
Richard Allen said:
Mr. Gency said:
Techno Squidgy said:
shabobble said:
8-Bit Grin said:

Not going to happen, do you tink any pc gamer would buy this game if they were forced to use a controller? Yea there would be nerd rage and valve is not that stupid. UT was orginally a pc only release and I wasn't even aware they released it on the ps3 (or why? wasn't it like 5 years old when the ps3 came out? yea because there was ut2k3 so ut must of been 2001-2 ish).
I never said a PC game should force the player to use a controller, I was saying using a controller would give the same experience as a cross-platform game.

Also, I meant Unreal Tournament 3.

InsaneMaggot

Jul 30, 2011
I am pleasently suprised by this news.
Was an admin of a popular german server and CS:S was fun, as were the titles before that.

Definetly gonna check that game out when it comes out in 2015.

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
Well, that's.. unexpected.
I remember watching an interview with Gabe Newell a couple of years back, in which he was asked if he'd do Counter-Strike 2, and he said that he'd consider it if he gets a dozen thousand emails requesting it - which he did. I didn't expect that he'd actually follow up on that.
As for the game, I can't wait to play it. CS is one of the best competitive shooters out there.