Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Brings Anti-Terrorism Back to PC and Consoles

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Treblaine said:
If this has ADS then I think Activision has got a serious contender, if valve plays their cards right.
Can you tell me what ADS stands for?

Soviet Heavy said:
Looks interesting. I never played CS: Source, so this might be the best time for me to jump in and see what the hubbub is all about.
imnotparanoid said:
I dont know, I have heard a lot of bad things about css, well the players anyway.
I should get it though, even if its just for some gmod textures >.<
CS's reputation for having griefers has almost entirely been supplanted by the repuation of XBL; CoD in particular. I think the big reason was just that CS was the most popular online game.

If you're looking to get into CS for the first time, I think GunGame Deathmatch is the way to go, especially if you can find a "reverse order" server. It's a game mode that gives you one of the game's guns, and when you get a kill with it, you "level up" to the next gun on the list. First person to beat the max level wins. Alternatively, play 12v1 against bots that can only use knives (this is what inspired Left 4 Dead, by the way).

If you guys only own one or two Valve games, take a look at the Valve Complete Pack; it's a really good deal if you don't own that much of their catalog.

marcooos

Shit Be Serial Cray
Nov 18, 2009
oh hells yeah I love CS:S but I dont have a rig to run it but if its comin to 360....XD

enriquetnt

Mar 20, 2010
tell that to sony, theyr sticking INFAMOUS 2 at full 60bucks retail price ONLINE, so your paying FULL price witout getting your disc, box, manuals, and the chance to recoup some money by selling your used copy. (they first one they put at 40 bucks but some months after release, and now is even cheaper, as is SUPPOSSED to be)

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
Why? There doesn't NEED to be another Counter strike. I believe all this will do is split the community.

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
Treblaine said:
MapTa said:
Oh god, please let there be no cross-platform multiplayer. Please.
Don't worry, there won't be.

Unless they force PC gamers to use gamepad (very unlikely) or force console gamers to use mouse + keyboard (EVEN LESS likely) as it is so well known how imbalanced Mouse vs gamepad is it would be horrifically unfair on console gamers getting their as kicked all day.

Also, hell will freeze over before PSN and XBL will ever connect to each other, so connecting with PC is kinda redundant.
We wouldn't need to worry about XBL anyway because hell will freeze over before it becomes compatable with Steam so crossing the PC over with the PS3 won't be a problem, worked with portal 2.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
UNHchabo said:
Treblaine said:
If this has ADS then I think Activision has got a serious contender, if valve plays their cards right.
Can you tell me what ADS stands for?
Sorry. Aim Down Sights.

I'm really conflicted about the mechanics whether I like it or deride it, it certainly changes how you play. Some games I wish it was there, other times I'm so glad it isn't there.

The trade off is like crouching: more accurate but slower movement, though unlike crouching you get the Pro of a point-sight (rather than HUD crosshairs) but Con of the gun held close to face obscuring a lot of your lower view (made worse with recoil).

So really EVERY weapon is used a lot like a sniper rifle (sights for accuracy) but with full auto weapons and no zoom.

Also shotgun have their spread tightened by going into ADS (don't ask me how, but lots of games do it).

This I understand is more critical on console as going into ADS the aim-assist dials up to be even stronger "sticking" the aim to the target as if magnetic. The problem is how static this makes the gameplay, and how it favour campers hiding behind a corner with their weapon aimed and sighted in they have sacrificed mobility for a huge advantage in position.

It is a mechanic that need METICULOUS tweaking to work well.

I don't care about the realism aspect much... but I've shot enough guns that I know you really should use the sights for long range. The problem is the balance of hipfire spread, mobility penalty, raise-time, kick-amount, etc.

I certainly don't see it as an essential feature for PC games with mouse controls... but much more important for the consolers.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Really interested to see what they would update without changing the game too much.

If they're listening to the community, we'll see smaller hit boxes and many more hats.

Personally, I doubt there will be iron sight aiming.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Captain Bobbossa said:
Treblaine said:
MapTa said:

Unless they force PC gamers to use gamepad (very unlikely) or force console gamers to use mouse + keyboard (EVEN LESS likely) as it is so well known how imbalanced Mouse vs gamepad is it would be horrifically unfair on console gamers getting their as kicked all day.

Also, hell will freeze over before PSN and XBL will ever connect to each other, so connecting with PC is kinda redundant.
We wouldn't need to worry about XBL anyway because hell will freeze over before it becomes compatable with Steam so crossing the PC over with the PS3 won't be a problem, worked with portal 2.
The problem is COMPETITIVE mouse vs gamepad problem.

It's industry accepeted that the disparity in ability between gamepad and mouse is so great it's like 360 controller vs PSP controls.

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
Treblaine said:
Captain Bobbossa said:
Treblaine said:
MapTa said:

I disagree. Man up.

It's industry accepeted that the disparity in ability between gamepad and mouse is so great it's like 360 controller vs PSP controls.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Captain Bobbossa said:
Treblaine said:
Captain Bobbossa said:
Treblaine said:
MapTa said:

I disagree. Man up.
#1 fix your post

#2 There is a difference between being manly and being a masochist.

The gamepad controls are inferior, playing with them against mouse is pointlessly stacking odds against you. It's as inferior to mouse as a thumbstick is to aiming with face-buttons.

Man up: face the truth.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
MapTa said:
I hope it is....They tested it and average PC gamers whip the floor with expert console gamers.....Guess what I'm gonna play it on.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
CS, those were the days.

CS was best on the Xbox simply because of the credits.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Treblaine said:
Sorry. Aim Down Sights.

I'm really conflicted about the mechanics whether I like it or deride it, it certainly changes how you play. Some games I wish it was there, other times I'm so glad it isn't there.

The trade off is like crouching: more accurate but slower movement, though unlike crouching you get the Pro of a point-sight (rather than HUD crosshairs) but Con of the gun held close to face obscuring a lot of your lower view (made worse with recoil).

So really EVERY weapon is used a lot like a sniper rifle (sights for accuracy) but with full auto weapons and no zoom.

Also shotgun have their spread tightened by going into ADS (don't ask me how, but lots of games do it).

This I understand is more critical on console as going into ADS the aim-assist dials up to be even stronger "sticking" the aim to the target as if magnetic. The problem is how static this makes the gameplay, and how it favour campers hiding behind a corner with their weapon aimed and sighted in they have sacrificed mobility for a huge advantage in position.

I don't care about the realism aspect much... but I've shot enough guns that I know you really should use the sights for long range. The problem is the balance of hipfire spread, mobility penalty, raise-time, kick-amount, etc.

I certainly don't see it as an essential feature for PC games with mouse controls... but much more important for the consolers.
Thanks. I agree with most of what you said; I just haven't been paying enough attention to hear the abbreviation "ADS" before.

I've played lots of games on the Source engine, and I play different mods when I feel like different play styles, even all in the same "pseudo-realistic shooter" genre. Insurgency is good for when I feel like slow-paced, methodical gameplay, and most of the combat is longer-range, one-hit-kill stuff. CS:S is a mix, having gameplay at varying ranges while still having health that gets taken away quickly, while Firearms:Source generally has fast-paced gameplay at close range, with half an M14's magazine being required to take an enemy down with chest shots.

Day Of Defeat: Source is an interesting outlier: the crosshair/iron sight combinations help define the class differences. Riflemen have crosshairs and iron sights, while MGs and Snipers have no crosshairs at all if they're "undeployed". SMGs are always inaccurate even when crouching, and the "support" classes can use semi-auto mode for more accuracy on the BAR/StG44. By doing this, DOD:S makes a variety of play styles available within a single game.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Captain Bobbossa said:
Treblaine said:
Captain Bobbossa said:
Treblaine said:
Captain Bobbossa said:
Treblaine said:
MapTa said:

I disagree. Man up.
#1 fix your post

#2 There is a difference between being manly and being a masochist.

The gamepad controls are inferior, playing with them against mouse is pointlessly stacking odds against you. It's as inferior to mouse as a thumbstick is to aiming with face-buttons.

Man up: face the truth.
1# If your that bothered about my post, you fix it.

2# You don't seem to understand the concept of "man up".
I can't edit your post.

And I understand the concept of manning up, I just think it's pointless to use that as a reason to use terrible controls.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
MapTa said:
Well, Portal 2 with Steam can be played across plattform boundaries and the door is open for crossplattform mayhem.

However, there is a reason no one has attempted this since Shadowrun but if anyone could get this done right, it might just be Valve.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Mr. Gency said:
WanderingFool said:
I wonder if they will add iron sights, killstreak like rewards, and perks? That'll piss off the hardcore CS fanbase (and give me endless hours of joy from watching them foam at the mouth...)
Valve adding iron sights?
I use the same vid for just occasions.

[sub]Oh, and just incase there was confusion, I was being somewhat sarcastic about the iron sights and such, but if they did add those, the fanbase bitching that would occur would amuze me.[/sub]

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
WanderingFool said:
Mr. Gency said:
WanderingFool said:
I wonder if they will add iron sights, killstreak like rewards, and perks? That'll piss off the hardcore CS fanbase (and give me endless hours of joy from watching them foam at the mouth...)
Valve adding iron sights?
I use the same vid for just occasions.

[sub]Oh, and just incase there was confusion, I was being somewhat sarcastic about the iron sights and such, but if they did add those, the fanbase bitching that would occur would amuze me.[/sub]
Indeed, though, I'd have no problem with CS having iron sights if it were just for picking off enemies from a distance.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
NLS said:
manythings said:
Could they instead remake one of the good Source projects? CS was shittiest and most boring of them all. Desert Crisis, Natural Selection, Vampire Slayer all a thousand times more ineresting and fun.
Natural Selection 2 has been in development for some time. Unknown Worlds decided to drop the Source Engine though and develop their own in-house one. If you preordered you can actually play it right now (beta though).
OOO, didn't even know it existed. Thanks.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
UNHchabo said:
Treblaine said:
Sorry. Aim Down Sights.

Thanks. I agree with most of what you said; I just haven't been paying enough attention to hear the abbreviation "ADS" before.

I've played lots of games on the Source engine, and I play different mods when I feel like different play styles, even all in the same "pseudo-realistic shooter" genre. Insurgency is good for when I feel like slow-paced, methodical gameplay, and most of the combat is longer-range, one-hit-kill stuff. CS:S is a mix, having gameplay at varying ranges while still having health that gets taken away quickly, while Firearms:Source generally has fast-paced gameplay at close range, with half an M14's magazine being required to take an enemy down with chest shots.

Day Of Defeat: Source is an interesting outlier: the crosshair/iron sight combinations help define the class differences. Riflemen have crosshairs and iron sights, while MGs and Snipers have no crosshairs at all if they're "undeployed". SMGs are always inaccurate even when crouching, and the "support" classes can use semi-auto mode for more accuracy on the BAR/StG44. By doing this, DOD:S makes a variety of play styles available within a single game.
Implementing something like that could be just what CSGO needs to distinguish itself.

As it is, Call of Duty struggles to distinguish their assault rifles from their submachine guns, they are all just full auto weapons doing moderate damage.