Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Brings Anti-Terrorism Back to PC and Consoles

Jory

Dec 16, 2009
Treblaine said:
Probably is Lol worthy... but why?

Seriously - Other than tradition - why would it be so ridiculously wrong for Valve to use iron sights in a game?

After all these great PC exclusives extensively use iron sights:
-Red Orchestra
-Killing Floor
-Crysis + Warhead
-STALKER series
-ARMA series
-Battlefield 2
-Day of Defeat
That's the reason NOT to have iron sights in my mind.

CS has never been about iron sights and the realistic warfare elements. The reason it's still so heavily played is because it still holds a niche that other games can't compete in.

There's an elegant simplicity to CS that makes it incredibly strategic for those who want it to be, yet not overwhelming for those who don't.

Sometimes less is more. I would be upset if they abandoned the purity of 1.6 / Source. A fresh graphical revamp, rebalanced maps, tuned gameplay and a new game mode or two would do me just fine.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Jory said:
Treblaine said:
Probably is Lol worthy... but why?

Seriously - Other than tradition - why would it be so ridiculously wrong for Valve to use iron sights in a game?

After all these great PC exclusives extensively use iron sights:
-Red Orchestra
-Killing Floor
-Crysis + Warhead
-STALKER series
-ARMA series
-Battlefield 2
-Day of Defeat
That's the reason NOT to have iron sights in my mind.

CS has never been about iron sights and the realistic warfare elements. The reason it's still so heavily played is because it still holds a niche that other games can't compete in.

There's an elegant simplicity to CS that makes it incredibly strategic for those who want it to be, yet not overwhelming for those who don't.

Sometimes less is more. I would be upset if they abandoned the purity of 1.6 / Source. A fresh graphical revamp, rebalanced maps, tuned gameplay and a new game mode or two would do me just fine.
As long as they don't try charging more than 25-30$ for it, yes.

Contun

Mar 28, 2009
I feel pretty confident that Valve won't let us down; they've flown in a lot of the top competitive CS players and they all report that it feels great. The one thing I'm not too sure about is the cross-platform multiplayer. I'm fine with CS:GO being available to new people, but I'm not sure how balanced it would be.

Regarding Episode Three, I'm not aware of anything Valve is planning on releasing aside from DOTA 2(2011) and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive(2012). Considering this, I think it's safe to assume we could be seeing info about Episode Three soon.

teh_Canape said:
you just wait and see little idiot kids seeing the Counter Strike Global Ops trailer and calling it a Call of Duty ripoff

mark my words
I'm not sure if I could contain my fury.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Contun said:
teh_Canape said:
you just wait and see little idiot kids seeing the Counter Strike Global Ops trailer and calling it a Call of Duty ripoff

mark my words
I'm not sure if I could contain my fury.
I'd get a face surgery, to add more muscles to my face, so that I could properly form a fitting expression of rage, without killing someone

though I can't guarantee anything

thirion1850

Aug 13, 2008
Hopefully no...
Hats.
CoD style gameplay.
Srs bzns.

Other than that, fuck yeah! Valve isn't Valve without its Counter Strike! Just so long as it retains the feel that CS is meant to entail and has to CSS, I'm down with the party! (Oh, and the modding too. Fuck yeah, the modding/mapping.)

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Balobo said:
shabobble said:
8-Bit Grin said:
shabobble said:
8-Bit Grin said:
*snip* ...when you're facing an opponent armed with a mouse they tend to have the edge.
At CS? I could kick a PC player's ass on my console any day.
You have to keep in mind that I said they'd have an 'edge', not that it would be a flawless victory for PC gamers.

A mouse simply lends a bit more freedom to the movement of the reticule in my opinion, and I feel that it could create some problems.
While you have a point in the general case, I know of a number of console players like myself that know the mechanics of Counter-Strike so well, that any wanna-be still using a PC won't be able to come close to challenging.
What do you mean "wanna-be still using a PC"? The word "still" confuses me the most, as a lot of PC gamers have systems far beyond consoles. Please elaborate.

Oh, and the mechanics of Counter-Strike aren't really that hard to master. PC gamers will have the benefit of faster turns and stuff.
Me thinks he never played CS before. I played the game for years and one thing I can say for sure, some of the guys in that game are so twitch fast, if you think you could contend with them using a gamepad, you're daft.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Obviously this will be to CS:S as CS:CZ was to 1.6. May be a close to the Source engine...

MightyMole

Mar 5, 2011
It almost seems like they're afraid to make HL3/HL2Ep3... They just keep finding games to make so they don't have to make it... Also, wasn't Counter Strike a mod for the original Half-Life? Here's an idea: Just make Counter Strike 2 a mod for the next Half-Life game. Problem solve.

WonderWillard

Feb 4, 2010
It's gotten to the point where I just laugh every time Valve makes a sequel to yet another one of their franchises that isn't Half-Life. TWO Left 4 Dead Games, Portal 2, which had an incredibly unfair cocktease for the next Half-Life, with the whole "Borealis" business, that Defense of the Ancients game, which I hadn't even heard of, and now Counter-Strike. The more years that go by, the more I worry it becoming just like Duke Nukem, where it just sinks from the incredible amount of hype over it.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Oh god, the hats.

Seriously, if this game doesn't have some form of hat shop, I shall be extremely surprised.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
shabobble said:
8-Bit Grin said:
Cross platform multiplayer could potentially unbalance the game.

Sorry, console players (who I'm also among), but when you're facing an opponent armed with a mouse they tend to have the edge.
At CS? I could kick a PC player's ass on my console any day.
Same here anyway i want episode 3 dammit not a new counter strike

Operations

Mar 11, 2009
Hasnt done too badly for what started out as a free 3rd party mod for Half-Life has it?
Was never really into CS, TFC was my multiplayer shooter of choice.
So I shall join the chorus for Episode 3 rather than CS news :)

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
I dont understand how Valve thinks they can compete with Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 right around the corner. We've waited 5 years for Half-Life 3 or episode 3 or whatever. Thats ridiculous.

D-Pad

Jul 15, 2011
Dear Valve:

Stop shitting around and drag Freeman out of the closet.

Sincerely, Your Fanbase.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I don't know, CS is fine the way it is. If they can stay true to the original and just update the textures and add a few stuff, great, but I doubt it.
Anyone else notice that they can finally count to three? Oh wait, it doesn't have a 3 there and they didn't make the original. Oh well then.