Couple Celebrates Wedding by Murdering Virtual Girlfriend

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Couple Celebrates Wedding by Murdering Virtual Girlfriend

Nothing says "I do" like taking a hammer to the groom's virtual girlfriend.

It's a cliché, but there are a few things a man has to give up when he decides to tie the knot. That nudey calendar from 1996 is out, as is the impressive beer can mountain and sock graveyard you maintain under your desk. Do you have a virtual girlfriend? You should probably get rid of her too, just to be safe.

Which is exactly what an Otaku and his wife did when they took a hammer to his copy of mildly-unsettling, Japanese dating sim, Love Plus, during their wedding. The wedding, which was attended and photographed by various Comiket staff, seems like it was quite a bizarre affair, with the groom's virtual girlfriend, Nene Anegasaki, getting her own invitation and seat.

According to some reports, the bride sprang the destruction of the cartridge on her recently-acquired husband as a surprise, but he elected to take part in the smashing anyway. With tears in his eyes, he helped his new wife crush his digital ex with a mallet.

[gallery=973]

On the opposite end of the spectrum we have one Sal9000, a man who "married" his Love Plus girlfriend back in 2009. The ceremony, complete with guests and a priest, was part oddity and part promotional event. It worked; news of the marriage managed to get the Japan-only game onto some major US TV networks.

"I love this character, not a machine," responded Sal when asked about the marriage. "I understand 100 percent that this is a game. I understand very well that I cannot marry her physically or legally."

While developing feelings for non-sentient objects isn't exclusive to Japan, the nation does seem like a hotbed for weird and wonderful romances. According to Hiroshi Ashizaki, an author who's penned multiple books on internet and game addiction, Japan's insular culture may be the root cause.

"Today's Japanese youth can't express their true feelings in reality. They can only do it in the virtual world," he told CNN. "It's the reverse of reality that they can only talk about what they feel to a friend in the virtual world."

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Maul-wielding Bride has appeared. It's the killer. Do not die.
*cue "Pictures at an Exhibition"*

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Well you got to crush your enemies somehow even if its hammering them down to reality

OT: Japan oh how i love your wackyness never stop amusing me :D

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Danm, I thought the man getting married was the one who married to his game girlfriend. I wonder if he take offense to this news and aswell keeping his fake wife safe?

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
That seems a little bit extreme. The fact he was crying while smashing "her" up is also somewhat worrying.

All in all, falling that much in love with a fictional character is a bit worrying.

Except for you, Hanako. Genetic engineering is getting better each day, my love. SOON YOU SHALL BE MINE.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
TopazFusion said:
I wonder if they'll get arrested for murder?
i had a funnier thought, if he'd just traded the game in at gamestop or what ever they have like that there, would that count as slave trading?

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I can't help but mentally cross this article with the 'robots will kill us' article. Perhaps this is the best way to do it. Next thing you know it'll be the reverse happening due to a jealous digital girlfriend.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
There can only be one!

Press x to kill your virtual girlfriend.

Of course he had to kill her over honour, oh Japan.

At least he has a great line for later arguments, "I'll killed for you!"

felbot

May 11, 2011
thesilentman said:
felbot said:
I can't stop staring at your avatar. I wonder why...:D

OT- Good for the guy. This gives me hope for humanity when we create the next Matrix.
your not the first person unable to resist it, and you wont be the last.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
Grey Carter said:
The wedding, which was attended and photographed by various Comiket staff, seems like it was quite a bizarre affair, with the groom's virtual girlfriend, Nene Anegasaki, getting her own invitation and seat.
Yikes, as if an invitation to an ex's wedding wasn't awkward enough. I bet the poor girl never considered it would go past the traditional act of humiliation to an actual ritual murder.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
1) Man has a virtual girlfriend he was deeply connected to and for some reason told his real-life girlfriend about.
2) Woman is so jealous about this that she insisted on destroying it during the wedding in a very public and violent ceremony, which she might've planned behind her new husband's back.
3) Both of them decided giving it its own seat/invite/etc. was a good idea, though clearly for completely different reasons.

If you ask me, the virtual girlfriend, even in its current state, is the least broken person in this story. It's a pile of code, silicon, and JPGs and yet it's the only one in the story I feel sorry for and definitely the only one I would be comfortable holding a conversation with.

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
This sounds like the prologue to a bad horror movie. Only thing missing is the blow from the hammer short circuiting the game, making the virtual girl sentient, then setting out on a quest of vengeance.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Well...good for him! You know, he decided to abandon his sad and virtual life because he found the real deal. So...congrats?

Oh. No, no, no. It's still weird. And crazy. Very much so. But...that's Japan!

*Wah wah waaah waaaaaaaah*

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
That is several flavors of wrong but i will start with the most gut wrenching one.

What kind of asshole murders his ex in his wedding?

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
bafrali said:
That is several flavors of wrong but i will start with the most gut wrenching one.

What kind of asshole murders his ex in his wedding?
traditionalist Aztecs?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Grey Carter said:
"Today's Japanese youth can't express their true feelings in reality. They can only do it in the virtual world," he told CNN. "It's the reverse of reality that they can only talk about what they feel to a friend in the virtual world.
And the Japanese don't see this as a problem that needs to be addressed? *scratches head in bewilderment*

Anyway, smashing a game cartridge containing a virtual girlfriend at your wedding seems a bit excessive to me.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Oh Japan, you cray cray
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md5wcweiTC1rsx19no1_400.gif
bafrali said:

What kind of arsehole murders his ex in his wedding?
A devoted arsehole.