Court Rules Against Xbox in Motorola Patent Suit

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Court Rules Against Xbox in Motorola Patent Suit

A U.S. International Trade Commission judge has sided with Motorola in a patent dispute over Microsoft's Xbox 360 console.

Motorola has accused Microsoft of infringing upon five of its patents - two of which involved video decoding, two for wi-fi matters, and one patent for a method to facilitate communication between the Xbox and other devices and peripherals. Yesterday, ITC Judge David Shaw ruled that Microsoft is guilty of infringing upon four of the five patents, though he said that one of the wi-fi charges was invalid.

While this certainly isn't good news for Microsoft, it's not quite as catastrophic as it could have been - yet. Shaw's ruling is but the first step in a process; the case and ruling will be reviewed by the six-member commission for final judgment, which is slated to be released in August.

If the ITC sides against Microsoft in full, Motorola would have the ability to block import of Xbox 360 consoles manufactured overseas (which is all of them) unless Microsoft were to reach an out-of-court settlement. Motorola had previously demanded a 2.25% royalty fee on all Xbox 360 revenues; with Microsoft's head in a legal vise it might have the power to demand even more.

Though there are undoubtedly some seriously unhappy phone calls being made this week at Microsoft's HQ in Redmond, the computer giant put a confident face forward in public. "Today's recommendation by the administrative law judge is the first step in the process leading to the commission's final ruling," Microsoft said in a statement.

"We remain confident the commission will ultimately rule in Microsoft's favor in this case and that Motorola will be held to its promise to make its standard-essential patents available on fair and reasonable terms."

Meanwhile, another ITC judge found that Motorola had been guilty of infringement in one of seven patent claims brought against it by Microsoft. The final judgment in that case is set for release in late May, but any effect it might have on the current proceedings - or any potential settlement - is up in the air.

(Gamasutra [http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-04-23/motorola-mobility-wins-ruling-in-microsoft-xbox-patent-case.html])

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
I really hate this patent "your product looks close to this very vague patent of mine so Im gonna sue" crap. Standards are so relaxed for patents right now any mess of techish words can be considered a legal patent, which leads to this B.S.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Daemascus said:
I really hate this patent "your product looks close to this very vague patent of mine so Im gonna sue" crap. Standards are so relaxed for patents right now any mess of techish words can be considered a legal patent, which leads to this B.S.
Actually, it's pretty uncommon for patents that vague to be upheld.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Daemascus said:
Actually, it's pretty uncommon for patents that vague to be upheld.
Doesn't stop them from going to court and trying anyways. Or threatening to go to court to get a settlement.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
The copyright biz is a good representation of how careful you have to be with anything you create. ANYTHING. Capitalism is all about money-grubby shtuff; nasty nasty business; but we thrive off it.

MC K-Mac

Oct 23, 2010
Once again, proof that Microsoft has never done ANYTHING it didn't copy from another, more innovative company. Fucking parasites.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
MC K-Mac said:
Once again, proof that Microsoft has never done ANYTHING it didn't copy from another, more innovative company. Fucking parasites.
I'm sorry I didn't realize that nothing to do with computers or electronics was patented by pretty much everyone.
Or do we have to look at ALL the recent law suits against major companies for patent infringement?

Cheeseman Muncher

Apr 7, 2009
You know what would be a good idea? If companies stopped using patents to just squeeze money out of their rivals who develop something similar or something that has built on and improved the original idea.

Patents were meant to promote innovation, not stiffle it.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Why is it that copyright lawsuits are always so fucking stupid? Really, you can't own everything companies; there is a very good reason Mr. Ford wasn't the only one allowed to make automobiles in America.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Wait, how on earth do Motorola own a "patent for a method to facilitate communication between the Xbox and other devices and peripherals." What? Why would they have a patent on that, and why Doesn't Microsoft?

This is something that really annoys me. really annoys me. It hurts innovation, devastates smaller companies, bollockes up the music industry and wastes so much time. Some day I'm just going to go mad and fly to America, run into the congress building all the politicians meet in and start punching them randomly in the throats shouting "Fix your patenting scheme you useless hacks! throatpunchthroatpunchthroatpunch...!"

MC K-Mac

Oct 23, 2010
Krion_Vark said:
MC K-Mac said:
I'm sorry I didn't realize that nothing to do with computers or electronics was patented by pretty much everyone.
Or do we have to look at ALL the recent law suits against major companies for patent infringement?
I have read and re-read your post and still have no idea what it is that you're trying to say. Care to try again?

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
MC K-Mac said:
Krion_Vark said:
MC K-Mac said:
I have read and re-read your post and still have no idea what it is that you're trying to say. Care to try again?
Nintendo, Apple, Sony and a bunch of other companies have gotten sued in the past year for patent infringement. This is not the first time nor will it be the last. PS3s were almost blocked sales in Europe because of a patent infringement lawsuit. Or do you only care when Microsoft comes into play?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Daemascus said:
Doesn't stop them from going to court and trying anyways. Or threatening to go to court to get a settlement.
And they usually get chucked right out of court.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MC K-Mac said:
You can't be serious. Even if they NEVER created anything themselves, they are largely responsible for the modern PC and computers on a household level. So even if they copied everything they did (bull), they are far from a parasitic force.

You don't have to like them, but really.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
So it took Motorola THIS long to find out about it?

Isn't it a tad bit too late for them to call upon the patent issue?

I'd also like to know more on what they copied. If Motorola just made a vague description of their stuff in a patent it shouldn't count.

Because then someone could make a patent on calling someone. Then NO ONE else would be able to make a phone without paying me royalty.
So it sounds more like they are in need of extra money and Microsoft 360 can cover that.

MC K-Mac

Oct 23, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
MC K-Mac said:
You can't be serious. Even if they NEVER created anything themselves, they are largely responsible for the modern PC and computers on a household level. So even if they copied everything they did (bull), they are far from a parasitic force.

You don't have to like them, but really.
Uh, no. Microsoft has never been in the hardware business (well, except the Zune LOL). If you're talking about operating systems, DOS was purchased from an independent programmer for a song and then presented as something they came up with, and Windows was (and is) a blatant rip-off of the Mac OS.

MC K-Mac

Oct 23, 2010
Krion_Vark said:
MC K-Mac said:
Krion_Vark said:
MC K-Mac said:
Nintendo, Apple, Sony and a bunch of other companies have gotten sued in the past year for patent infringement. This is not the first time nor will it be the last. PS3s were almost blocked sales in Europe because of a patent infringement lawsuit. Or do you only care when Microsoft comes into play?
Name one thing that Microsoft has come up with that wasn't at least based on, if not a blatant rip-off of, something else.