Court Rules Against Xbox in Motorola Patent Suit

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MC K-Mac said:
Uh, no. Microsoft has never been in the hardware business (well, except the Zune LOL). If you're talking about operating systems, DOS was purchased from an independent programmer for a song and then presented as something they came up with, and Windows was (and is) a blatant rip-off of the Mac OS.
And regardless, was responsible for the ubiquity of PCs. Funny that.

MC K-Mac

Oct 23, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
MC K-Mac said:
Uh, no. Microsoft has never been in the hardware business (well, except the Zune LOL). If you're talking about operating systems, DOS was purchased from an independent programmer for a song and then presented as something they came up with, and Windows was (and is) a blatant rip-off of the Mac OS.
PCs would have become ubiquitous regardless of what OS was on them. Microsoft was in the right place at the right time, nothing more.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MC K-Mac said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
MC K-Mac said:
PCs would have become ubiquitous regardless of what OS was on them. Microsoft was in the right place at the right time, nothing more.
By that logic, none of the gaming companies (which was the original argument here) contributed anything either. They were just there at the right place and right time.

MC K-Mac

Oct 23, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
MC K-Mac said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
MC K-Mac said:
By that logic, none of the gaming companies (which was the original argument here) contributed anything either. They were just there at the right place and right time.
My point is that Microsoft has never come up with anything on it's own - just copied or outright stole it from someone else. What's your point?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MC K-Mac said:
My point is that Microsoft has never come up with anything on it's own - just copied or outright stole it from someone else. What's your point?
NAnd by your logic, neither have Nintendo, Sega, Sony, etc.

So...You basically undercut your own point.

My point? Just look at the history of this conversation. I've been explicit a couple of times.

MC K-Mac

Oct 23, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
MC K-Mac said:
NAnd by your logic, neither have Nintendo, Sega, Sony, etc.

So...You basically undercut your own point.

My point? Just look at the history of this conversation. I've been explicit a couple of times.
My point doesn't come from any particular logic - it is merely a statement of fact. All three of the companies you've mentioned have been responsible for original creations. Microsoft is not.

I was nice enough to restate my point for you. Please do me the same courtesy.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
Wait, how on earth do Motorola own a "patent for a method to facilitate communication between the Xbox and other devices and peripherals." What? Why would they have a patent on that, and why Doesn't Microsoft?
Motorola has been in the radio business since the 30s, they've got all kinds of wireless communication and handheld electronics patents.

This is why Google bought Motorola Mobility. They don't really want to be in the cell phone business, but they were tired of Android devices being sued and needed a relevant patent library of their own. This way a lawsuit from one of their competitors (like Microsoft [http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/motorola-android-devices-banned-from-us-after-microsoft-patent-dispute-1081355]) risks mutually assured destruction.